OB-1 Shaft Splinters? Wafer Problems?

Half_Cut

Registered
I am interested in the design of the OB-1 shaft and have been seriously thinking of getting one. I do have a couple of concerns and would appreciate any responses that could help me with them.

I have seen a few posts that mention that OB-1 shafts can splinter. The posts indicated that they lose little chunks that are very hard to smooth out. How common is this problem or is it an old problem that has since been fixed?

The other concern is that there is a special wafer on the end of the shaft. It looks pretty thin and I am wondering about the durability. Each time you change a tip you remove the old tip and sand the top of the ferrule to remove the old glue and rough the surface. So how long before you wear it down to the point where it needs to be replaced? Has anyone ever had to replace this special wafer? If you did, then what did you replace it with?

SPINDOKTOR

lool wtf??
Silver Member
I think what your refering to is the fiber pad, under the tip, this can be replaced... I would suggest professional tip replacement reguardless, I sure wouldnt want to take any chances sanding on a wooden ferrule..

I myself Havent heard of any splintering issues, OB-1 shafts are quality made from what I gather...

If you want one buy it, but plan on professional tip instalation. No biggie...

SPINDOKTOR

Bigtruck

Capt Diff Lock
Gold Member
Silver Member
Ob-1

Half_Cut said:
I am interested in the design of the OB-1 shaft and have been seriously thinking of getting one. I do have a couple of concerns and would appreciate any responses that could help me with them.

I have seen a few posts that mention that OB-1 shafts can splinter. The posts indicated that they lose little chunks that are very hard to smooth out. How common is this problem or is it an old problem that has since been fixed?

The other concern is that there is a special wafer on the end of the shaft. It looks pretty thin and I am wondering about the durability. Each time you change a tip you remove the old tip and sand the top of the ferrule to remove the old glue and rough the surface. So how long before you wear it down to the point where it needs to be replaced? Has anyone ever had to replace this special wafer? If you did, then what did you replace it with?

I have 2 for my Hanshew. I was playing with only one and kept worrying about losing a tip during play and having to switch to another shaft. Having a custom joint, I had Hanshew make me a back up OB-1. Now I can relax!!:D

I've never had any splinter issues. I have also sold many and not had any issues, but I suppose it is laminated wood and is possible. I have had a ferrule explode. Royce and the guys at OB-1 promptly repaired it and shipped it back to me at no charge.

All the players I know that gave the OB-1 an honest try (4-6 weeks) have ALL improved their games!! Some dramatically. That's pretty strong!

Ray

vagabond

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
SPINDOKTOR said:
I think what your refering to is the fiber pad, under the tip, this can be replaced... I would suggest professional tip replacement reguardless, I sure wouldnt want to take any chances sanding on a wooden ferrule..

I myself Havent heard of any splintering issues, OB-1 shafts are quality made from what I gather...

SPINDOKTOR
hi,
tip fell off on the second day.
Yes, my OB 1 shaft has that splinter problem.cue repairmen said that it looked like it is ungluing and splinters started coming out.
I do not have any knowledge on these matters.I just hit the balls.:cool:

SPINDOKTOR

lool wtf??
Silver Member
I would make sure you contact the OB-1 people, I dont sell or deal with OB-1 shafts, I do know alot of people are using them, I use the Tiger "X" Shaft myself.. No problems, except I still miss balls :rolleyes:

Im no expert on these shafts but it sounds to me like the glue is faulty... Knowing Tiger Produces Glue, and high quality tips, this was why I decided to go with Tiger Myself.. Im not knocking OB-1 by any means, but I do think they need to address these problems....

GL

SPINDOKTOR

vagabond said:
hi,
tip fell off on the second day.
Yes, my OB 1 shaft has that splinter problem.cue repairmen said that it looked like it is ungluing and splinters started coming out.
I do not have any knowledge on these matters.I just hit the balls.:cool:

Half_Cut

Registered
SPINDOKTOR said:

SPINDOKTOR

Well... professional tip replacement is a problem unless I send the shaft away. I have done my own tips on snooker cues for years and I have no concerns about doing the tip myself other than what I perceive as a potential weakness with the design. If you need to keep the wafer under the tip then I had better lay in a supply of wafers as well as tips.

As far as the splinter problem... I have heard a number of stories about that. Some found it so serious that they could not wear a glove because it was catching on the splinters. I do not wear a glove but I do like a smooth feel on the shaft. That is why I am asking if it is still an issue.

Half_Cut

Registered
Bigtruck said:
I have 2 for my Hanshew. I was playing with only one and kept worrying about losing a tip during play and having to switch to another shaft. Having a custom joint, I had Hanshew make me a back up OB-1. Now I can relax!!:D

I've never had any splinter issues. I have also sold many and not had any issues, but I suppose it is laminated wood and is possible. I have had a ferrule explode. Royce and the guys at OB-1 promptly repaired it and shipped it back to me at no charge.

All the players I know that gave the OB-1 an honest try (4-6 weeks) have ALL improved their games!! Some dramatically. That's pretty strong!

Ray

That is good to know. Thanks for the info.

David Beck

Let us to Billiards!
Silver Member
Solution: Don't sand the carbon fiber pad.

Mine splintered after using a glove with it, but after some cleaning and burnishing the splinters smoothed out. I remember Royce mentioning that they had developed a new shaft conditioner/sealer which fixed the splintering problem. So it may not even be an issue anymore.

Runnin8

Love God, Love People
Silver Member
I have 2 OB-1s and have been using them for about 7 months, ~15 hours per week with no splinter issues at all. I've cleaned the shafts twice with an alcohol pad and then used microburnishing sheets to get it back to playing condition. Mine have stayed smooth as glass.

Steve

charlieb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I love my new OB-1. I had the tip replaced with a Sniper. I bought a partial and had JoeyInCali match up the collar to my custom and to the pin. He did his special thing with the shaft and I would be amazed if I ever had splintering. Ob-1 really has their customer service act together!!

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
Half_Cut said:

Wafer? You make me hungry.
You mean the carbon fiber disc/backer for the tip.
It should never break because it some give to it.
When replacing tip do not face that disc aggressively.
Or better leave a layer of the old tip and glue the new tip on top of that.

ABall

Right behind you...
Silver Member
I had some splintering issues. I called OB-1, and he said to send it back and they'd take care of it. I just never got to send it back yet. They seem really on point with their customer service.

ob1-mackie

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
never had any splintering probs with my ob-1.just had my ferrule replaced with a saber-t and the taper pulled right back and taken down to 12.25 mm and it now deflects less than it did standard.
its got a nice solid hit now rather than the extremely soft one as standard

SPINDOKTOR

lool wtf??
Silver Member
Im not sure, but someone said those are carbon fiber, I suppose you cant replace them, I thought it was a fiber pad.....Those you can replace, but a carbon fiber waffer? Im not so sure, I suppose an OB-1 Expert is needed...

I do like the idea of using carbonfiber, as I have commented on this before in the cue makers section... I wanted a carbon fiber ferrule, some said you could even get a white one, I also wanted it designed like a wafer, but capped like a normal capped ferrule to make tip instalation easier...

you could use a tool like the rapid cue top sander, I use one, to reface ferrules for new tips, it works great, and because I can manualy control it, all I ever take off is the old glue..

Good thread...

SPINDOKTOR

Half_Cut said:
Well... professional tip replacement is a problem unless I send the shaft away. I have done my own tips on snooker cues for years and I have no concerns about doing the tip myself other than what I perceive as a potential weakness with the design. If you need to keep the wafer under the tip then I had better lay in a supply of wafers as well as tips.

As far as the splinter problem... I have heard a number of stories about that. Some found it so serious that they could not wear a glove because it was catching on the splinters. I do not wear a glove but I do like a smooth feel on the shaft. That is why I am asking if it is still an issue.

Half_Cut

Registered
Thanks to all who have answered my questions. I think we have covered the wafer/carbon pad concerns nicely. The only thing left is to see if there is any more response about the splintering.

It sounds like there may have been an issue with splintering in the past but that it has probably been addressed by the folks at OB-1. I would really like to hear from you if you have experienced the problem with a recent purchase.

Flex

Banger
Silver Member
Half_Cut said:
Thanks to all who have answered my questions. I think we have covered the wafer/carbon pad concerns nicely. The only thing left is to see if there is any more response about the splintering.

It sounds like there may have been an issue with splintering in the past but that it has probably been addressed by the folks at OB-1. I would really like to hear from you if you have experienced the problem with a recent purchase.

Micro splintering on my OB-1 entirely went away after burnishing the shaft with one of those leather burnishing thingies... Bought the leather thingie at Derby City this year for the grand total of $1.00.

Flex

Half_Cut

Registered
Flex said:
Micro splintering on my OB-1 entirely went away after burnishing the shaft with one of those leather burnishing thingies... Bought the leather thingie at Derby City this year for the grand total of $1.00.

Flex
That sounds like a good idea. I will keep my eyes open for one but I know that I will be paying a lot more.

Flex

Banger
Silver Member
Half_Cut said:
That sounds like a good idea. I will keep my eyes open for one but I know that I will be paying a lot more.

Not much more. Check here:
http://www.seyberts.com/products/McDermott_Leather_Burnisher-25-0.html

(Next part copied from their webpage:)

Seybert's Billiard Supply http://www.seyberts.com/
McDermott Leather Burnisher
Retail Price: $3.95
Our Price:$2.95
You Save: $1.00

Reduce the price of this item using Seybert's Bucks.

McDermott leather cue shaft burnisher is a great addition to any pool cue case. McDermott leather burnisher is high quality leather great for smoothing and sealing your pool cue shaft. The burnished shaft will help prevent dirt and oils from your hands penetrate the cue shaft.

McDermott Leather Burnisher
Directions: Wrap the leather burnisher around the pool cue shaft and with firm pressure work your burnisher up and down your working range. For best finish do faster and harder strokes. Repeating this procedure for a half a minute of so before and after you play and after you play will produce a professional looking finish. Cloth Cue Slicker
Item URL: http://www.seyberts.com/products/McDermott_Leather_Burnisher-25-15.html

Best,

Flex

ne14tennis

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have no problems

Half_Cut said:

In all honesty, I haven't heard of any "splinter" problems and I know a lot of people that use the OB-1.

I normally have the pad replaced when I get a new tip, but I use Moorii mediums or Sniper and I don't hit real hard (I never break with it) and I don't shape it until it really needs it. A tip can last me a year or more. I was told it's just a carbon fiber or fiber disc.

Of all the products in the billiard industry and the hype that goes with them......this one delivers.

It took me about 2-3 weeks to get use to it. I wouldn't go back to anything else.

I can actually aim where I want to hit without thinking about squirt or deflection with lots of english.

RRfireblade

Grammer Are For Stupids
Silver Member
They can and do splinter 'slightly' from time to time.

Due to the laminated layout of thier design , the shaft is pretty much all end grain , there's not much you can do to stop it. I've never had one do it so bad as it couldn't be smoothed out either with micro polishing and/or a dab of sealer but it does happen occasionally , but not often.