Old People Hate The Measle Ball

SJDinPHX

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Excellant Idea !

smashmouth said:
Seems like all the old people hate all change

I say let the dinosaurs get together and setup a multimillion dollar tour for the players and put live pool on tv

then they can get rid of the measles ball, bring back slow felt, straight pool, ban jump cues, ban break cues, and do whatever the hell else they want

until then.......

You can be our PR man !

Thanks,

Dick

PS except for bringing back straight pool, ugh !!!!!

Flex

Banger
Silver Member
poolplayer2093 said:
but why change them. they say they use them on tv so people can see what the cueball's doing but in the pool hall why change to it?

Actually, there are some other positives about using it. The first is that it's the correct size, and probably will remain that way for a long, long time, as it won't be used non-stop on a table in a pool hall. That alone adds some consistency, IMHO. The other is that being able to see what kind of spin it put on the cue ball and when and how it wears off is definitely a good thing. The third is that most of the people I shoot pool with have come to like it, which is no small feat, and it plays better than those generic balls one finds not too infrequently.

And yes, there's another thing. If it is really all that different from other balls, which I don't think it is, it's good to learn to adapt to it, because like it or not, it's going to be used in tournaments, and it's way better to know how it plays than to be ignorant of it. Yes, it's probably heavier than what people may be used to playing with (some red circle balls are so worn out it's a joke, and one often needs to make serious aim compensation when shooting with one of those) and there is, really, a benefit to that. It's that the ball squirts less when shooting with english... Think about that one for a moment. And also, it requires a better stroke to draw the ball. I'm in favor of that one, too.

Negatives? It's perhaps a bit tougher to draw than a red circle, (but it will follow better.) Other negatives... hmmm... having a hard time coming up with any.

Flex

JimS

Grandpa & his grand boys.
Silver Member
I've noticed very little difference in the way it plays when compared with a relatively new red circle. I like the measles ball. I like the feedback from seeing the spin. During practice this is especially nice as I can see unwanted spin from hitting slightly off center when I hadn't intended to. I"m sold.

mullyman

Hung Like a Gnat!
Silver Member
SJDinPHX said:
You can be our PR man !

Thanks,

Dick

PS except for bringing back straight pool, ugh !!!!!

One thing about this, bringing back straight pool would benefit you, me and everyone else too young to have grown up in that era. Learning to play pool starting with 9-ball is a mistake. 9-ball players become good shot makers but not very good with table management.
MULLY

JAM

Pool and Snooker Railbird
Silver Member
Reprint

The first time I ever saw that cue-ball, one was brought in to the U.S. Open in 2003. Nobody had ever seen a red-dotted cue-ball before. They decided to use the red-dotted cue-ball on the TV table, thinking it would showcase the englishes and spins, et cetera, that the players were using on the cue-ball for the pool-shooting viewership.

As luck would have it, the first match with this red-dotted cue-ball was Buddy Hall versus Keith McCready. Both of them, when they arrived at the TV table, stared at this cue-ball, never having seen one before, and the two of them practiced with it before the match commenced. Neither of them noticed anything different about it as far as response or weight, but they were definitely dismayed and taken aback by its very presence.

Here's a video link of the match. Neither of them played up to par on the TV table, but the commentary by Billy Incardona and Jimmy Wych, which was great, spoke about the red-dotted cue-ball quite a bit: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xsHAG8YrXG8

The players' reactions to shots/misses and commentary was comical, and the audience enjoyed this match, even though it was quite uneventful. One shot, Keith came with a miss, and immediately looked over Buddy and said, "Buddy, I think I must have hit the wrong red dot." The audience erupted in laughter, including Buddy.

This tournament, BCn Network was offering $500 to any player who made the 9 on the break on the TV table. Believe me, EVERYBODY who played on the TV table that year was gunning for that 9.

Here's the Diana Hoppe classic picture, taken at the 2003 U.S. Open, when Keith came with a miss, stating he hit the wrong red dot. Buddy cracked up and couldn't wait to get back to the table. It was funny!

JAM

Attachments

• Buddy%20and%20Keith[1].JPG
    Buddy%20and%20Keith[1].JPG
    45.1 KB · Views: 310
Last edited:

JimS

Grandpa & his grand boys.
Silver Member
Quote: the link provided a malformed video id...

But thanks for the post JAM. Great anecdote.

Reactions: JAM

JAM

Pool and Snooker Railbird
Silver Member
JimS said:
Quote: the link provided a malformed video id...

But thanks for the post JAM. Great anecdote.

I fixed the link! Thanks! :p

JAM

Majic

With The Lights ON !!
Silver Member
The10Ball said:
Seems like all the old people hate the measle ball.

here are some opinions i have heard in the pool room.

they are always saying its heavier and bigger!

why did they change the ball on us? 25 years playing with the same ball and theyre going to change it. why?

it wont stop rolling

oh man if we were playing with a red circle it would have rolled here.

anyone hear these same things about this ball?
I don't know how old someone needs to be for you to consider them old ,but you generalization is almost as ridiculous as saying young people are totally ignorant.:D

Gerry

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
theres no difference in any of the CB's IMO! it's all in your heads!

get up and PLAY, and quit boohoo'ing about the equipment. Don't any of you ever go out to unfamiliar pool rooms? I make it a point to play with different ball sets, switch CB's, play on different equipment....ie...snooker tables..3c billiard tables...it's how you learn to adjust.

What fun would it be to have the same table, same balls, same everything EVERY time out?....ewwww!:D

TX Poolnut

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Gerry said:
theres no difference in any of the CB's IMO! it's all in your heads!

get up and PLAY, and quit boohoo'ing about the equipment. Don't any of you ever go out to unfamiliar pool rooms? I make it a point to play with different ball sets, switch CB's, play on different equipment....ie...snooker tables..3c billiard tables...it's how you learn to adjust.

What fun would it be to have the same table, same balls, same everything EVERY time out?....ewwww!:D
I second that motion.:)

Snapshot9

son of 3 leg 1 eye dog ..
Silver Member
I agree

that you should be able to adjust, but sometimes you don't get the new feel of it before a tournament starts.

The measles ball is larger, slightly heavier, and has a sluggish feel to it as compared to the Aramith Green Logo ball, just enough to irritate you.

The red circle is noticeably smaller and lighter, to the point that you have to adjust where your tip meets the cueball for a same shot with another cueball.

I played in a tournament in Hutchinson at Vic's a year or so ago, and they decided for the first time to use red circle cueballs for the tournament.
The sudden switch caught a lot of players offguard, and as they struggled to adjust, many players were eliminated that probably would not have been if the previous cueballs were used.

Me included. I was in the elimination side, having just won 3 straight matches, hill-to-hill, with a long almost straight in 7 ball, with a line back that would be passing shape for the 9 ball. (passing shape is where the cueball comes real close to the object ball, and you have to pinpoint the shape or you don't have a good shot). I took my time, got set to draw the cueball back a half a table or so, and walaah, the cue ball slanted right coming back, and I drew the cueball back into the uptable right corner, 3/4's of the table. I was pretty embarrassed at that point, and I gave the ball in hand 9 ball to my opponent, and was out of the tournament. I had never done anything like that before in 45 years of playing. So much for the red circle cueball.

jdr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
JAM said:
The first time I ever saw that cue-ball, one was brought in to the U.S. Open in 2003. Nobody had ever seen a red-dotted cue-ball before. They decided to use the red-dotted cue-ball on the TV table, thinking it would showcase the englishes and spins, et cetera, that the players were using on the cue-ball for the pool-shooting viewership.

As luck would have it, the first match with this red-dotted cue-ball was Buddy Hall versus Keith McCready. Both of them, when they arrived at the TV table, stared at this cue-ball, never having seen one before, and the two of them practiced with it before the match commenced. Neither of them noticed anything different about it as far as response or weight, but they were definitely dismayed and taken aback by its very presence.

Here's a video link of the match. Neither of them played up to par on the TV table, but the commentary by Billy Incardona and Jimmy Wych, which was great, spoke about the red-dotted cue-ball quite a bit: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xsHAG8YrXG8

The players' reactions to shots/misses and commentary was comical, and the audience enjoyed this match, even though it was quite uneventful. One shot, Keith came with a miss, and immediately looked over Buddy and said, "Buddy, I think I must have hit the wrong red dot." The audience erupted in laughter, including Buddy.

This tournament, BCn Network was offering $500 to any player who made the 9 on the break on the TV table. Believe me, EVERYBODY who played on the TV table that year was gunning for that 9.

Here's the Diana Hoppe classic picture, taken at the 2003 U.S. Open, when Keith came with a miss, stating he hit the wrong red dot. Buddy cracked up and couldn't wait to get back to the table. It was funny!

JAM
Who's that guy right next to McCready's left elbow near the US Open sign? I forgot his name... Thanks...

mosconiac

Job+Wife+Child=No Stroke
Silver Member
I've weighed an assortment of CB's & OB's in my quest to ascertain why some equipment doesn't play like the rest. Here's what I found...which I'll have to put in a separate thread someday.

Snapshot9 said:
The measles ball is larger, slightly heavier, and has a sluggish feel to it as compared to the Aramith Green Logo ball, just enough to irritate you.
That's not quite correct. The Aramith Green Logo CB weighs 5.94 ounces. It has a dull finish that seems to grab chalk and cause a lot of skids for me.

The "measles" CB weighs in at 5.84 ounces. I like the measles as I can see residual spin on the OB.

Snapshot9 said:
The red circle is noticeably smaller and lighter, to the point that you have to adjust where your tip meets the cueball for a same shot with another cueball.
This isn't supported by what I've measured. The Red Circle CB weighes in at 5.87 ounces, so its about 0.03 ounces heavier than the measles...not much of a difference.

For reference, sets of OB's varied from 5.61 ounces to 5.95 ounces, so the combination of CB & OB's your local PH uses can have a VERY significant impact on the overall experience. BTW, new sets had consistent weight from 1 to 15. As the balls age, the 1 gets noticably lighter compared to the upper balls such as the 15. Even with the oldest, dingiest sets were in the 0.10 and lower ounce range between 1 & 15.

Last edited:

randyg

www.randygpool.com
Silver Member
The10Ball said:
Seems like all the old people hate the measle ball.

here are some opinions i have heard in the pool room.

they are always saying its heavier and bigger!

why did they change the ball on us? 25 years playing with the same ball and theyre going to change it. why?

it wont stop rolling

oh man if we were playing with a red circle it would have rolled here.

anyone hear these same things about this ball?

WHAT'S OLD????????????SPF=randyg

cueandcushion

Cue & Cushion_STL_MO
Silver Member
smashmouth said:
Seems like all the old people hate all change

I say let the dinosaurs get together and setup a multimillion dollar tour for the players and put live pool on tv

then they can get rid of the measles ball, bring back slow felt, straight pool, ban jump cues, ban break cues, and do whatever the hell else they want

until then.......

I can see it now. Film the tourny in black and white film. Lots of cigarrettes burning on the rails of the tables. Glass of bourbon on the rail. Smoke filled place. Girls in bunny costumes serving drinks and racking the balls. 5 inch pockets on sticky cloth. Maybe we could get Ed McMahon to announce it.

poolcuemaster

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My wife won't practice with me on our home table with the measles cueball cause she says it scratches too much, and I think she is right. She shoots very straight and firm and the cue ball rolls a little farther than the super aramith red dot on cut shots so I have to whoop her with the old standby cueball.--Leonard

Dawgie

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Could someone explain a bit about how the humidity affects the balls, rails? What does it actually do and what to watch for.

whitewolf

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
jay helfert said:
I'm definitely "old school" and I happen to like the measles cue ball. I think it's the best cue ball out there. I resisted using it for years, but once I did I was hooked. My blue and red circle balls rest comfortably in a box under the table.
Which is where they're going to stay. :)

It has become the favored tournament cue ball as well, so I think it would be wise to get used to it if you plan to play in any pro events.

You old fart - you should know that old people like heavier balls because all they used to play is straight pool. Maybe you are getting too senile to remember. :D