Older players... what do you do?

sammylane12

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Getting back into playing again. Been out of it for a while. I am now 30 lbs heavier than I was, have a belly and not able to get down on shots like I used to. I know losing weight is a start but what else can I do to allow me to bend my neck far enough to look down a cue? I have tried stretching with little success.

What do you all do?
drugs

Mensabum

Scruggs and long cue 60" plus buyer.
Gold Member
most of the older players shoot more upright. for one of two reasons.

one, is that is the way they always played and did fine with it

two, getting down so low gave them severe back problems when they got older.

you get to pick one of the two ways, your choice.
Couldn't I kinda crouch at a 45° angle?? Lol.😂

Billiard Architect

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I switched to the Mediterranean diet when my combined cholesterol hit 220. Along with taking statin meds in two years my combined cholesterol was 110. At that point the cut my statin med in half per day.

There is a great website called Oldways it’s a company from Boston one of my doctor’s recommended. They also have a very active Facebook page.

Stay away from fast food chains that food is not healthy…
But it's soooooooo good!

Blue

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
i have a question about billiard glasses.
i have presbyopia, myopia and astigmatism condition on both eyes.
Is progressive lens the way to go for billiards eye glasses or should i just get a basic myopic lens?
Mail order from Canada - billiard-eyeglasses.com. Got mine right the first time and with the exchange rate they're an excellent value.

The_JV

'AZB_Combat Certified'
Funny thing, I rarely see any of the GOATS from before the 60's/70's getting down on the cue, they are practically standing almost straight up while shooting. Didn't seem to slow them down much.
Took #48 posts to get to what I would have suggested. Simply learn to play with a more upright stroking position. I know that's way easier to type then to grow accustomed to, but there's no real reason not to go that route.

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
i have a question about billiard glasses.
i have presbyopia, myopia and astigmatism condition on both eyes.
Is progressive lens the way to go for billiards eye glasses or should i just get a basic myopic lens?
An optometrist could answer your question better

Quesports

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
But it's soooooooo good!
Not for your health but certainly for the wealth of those big businesses. The spend huge sums on marketing and concocting all sorts of heavily processed foods with little regard to how it affects the health of consumers. Very much like the tobacco industry. All they care about is money.

The country of Singapore has reigned in a lot of that behavior and their citizens benefit from those restrictions..

Obesity and a shortening life span are both attributed to fast food here and our government turns a blind eye to that… Not a right or left thing either just bad all around by both political parties. JMO

Pool Hand Luke

At 74 I'm an "older" player, but I can still stretch over the table while standing on one leg. However there is one of my regular playing partners who has the belly issue and has taken to and become very adept with using the bridge on shots that require too much reach for his comfort. Otherwise his normal stance is about halfway down to his cue. At our age no one gets down to the chin level we see the pros do, but we play at a pretty good level regardless. Try the bridge if you like and let us know if it helps or not.

maha

from way back when
Silver Member
after cataract surgery my eyes are fine now but still use reading glasses for reading.

before tried different glasses and bifold worked the best for me. progressives have some kind of smaller lens in them that makes it for me not easy to get in focus. but everyone's eyes are different.

cardit

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Getting back into playing again. Been out of it for a while. I am now 30 lbs heavier than I was, have a belly and not able to get down on shots like I used to. I know losing weight is a start but what else can I do to allow me to bend my neck far enough to look down a cue? I have tried stretching with little success.

What do you all do?
I would think about taking a lesson or two to refresh fundamentals. An instructor might be able to help you adapt to new physical constraints while you are working to get back into 'shape'. Although, round is a shape too.

snookered_again

Getting back into playing again. Been out of it for a while. I am now 30 lbs heavier than I was, have a belly and not able to get down on shots like I used to.
If the bubble is in the middle you know you are on the level ;-)

the way I see it, I dont plan to be the top world champ, So my aim is just to be the best I can , that is without playing so much that it's not fun.. I see it as the shot I'm taking is all so very important, all the rest, not so much. Others can choose to see it all differently if they wish.

I think if you want to be a real big champ you need to start young and practice lots, just like most other sports.
That was not as such for me. That certainly does not mean I can't enjoy it as much as anyone else.

I've seen some pretty good players that do not rest their chin on the cue because it's awkward for some. Heck I see some absolutely great players that can barely walk due to age or injuries etc.
I think there is a point where it is then a disadvantage to bend like that. You just learn to adapt then.

Last edited:

RacerX750

Registered

What do you all do?
If you're right handed, twist your hips clockwise as you get down into the stance. That automatically moves your belly out of the path of the cue. Provided your right foot is to the left of the shot line, it's not difficult and gets everything else in line for the shot.

snookered_again

I was noting how tall some of the big champs are they make the snooker tables look tiny..

sometimes I just have these funny thoughts.. so I was envisioning a cartoon where Ronnie O'sullivan is on one foot , standing at the bottom , on top of the table on one foot, doing a downward carom shot, at the bottom of the table.. Then as you scroll down the page, you see he has his leg up at the head of the table , Foot flat on the floor.