One Year Ago Today

Status
Not open for further replies.

phil dade

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Lou,
I have read the thread but did not see the match. I have no idea how I missed it because it is something I would typically like. I have no horse in this reace. However, I have a curious question. If it is out of line, just say it is not for discussion. I am curious why any room would ban you?
all the best,
phil

Tony_in_MD

You want some of this?
Silver Member
Did OMGWTF come on here a year after her deathmatch to commemorate her event?

She carried herself with class and she bet all her own money.

I don't consider it gloating.

It's been a year and I felt like commemorating an event that pretty much consumed the group for several months. People (admittedly not all) were into it. Countless threads, posts, polls, and photoshops. We had 800 viewers on the stream the first night. It was a big feud 15 years in the making, a big bet, and a big event.

Lou Figueroa

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Lou,
I have read the thread but did not see the match. I have no idea how I missed it because it is something I would typically like. I have no horse in this reace. However, I have a curious question. If it is out of line, just say it is not for discussion. I am curious why any room would ban you?
all the best,
phil

I've told this story many times: Maybe like 15 years ago I asked on RSB what would cause a ball to lose a significant amount of speed coming off a rail. Didn't name any pool hall.

Next thing I know Chris, one of the kids who runs the pool room, is complaining to Shirley, mom the owner, that I'm bad mouthing them, puts on his jacket, and tells her "it's him or me" and storms out of the pool hall. Shirley, of course, choose to support junior. Best thing that ever happened to my pool game.

I had stayed loyal to C&C for many years because of Bob (the owner who passed). He was a player himself and treated me very well when he was alive. I continued to play there after his death, even though I hated the equipment and all the mismatched tables, out of loyalty. Then this happen. I think that was the week Gail I went to Jamaica for a week. When we got home there was a box on our door. In it were the 8x10 B&W photos of me playing in the US Open that used to hang by the 1pocket table in the corner and the set of centennials I used to keep there. And that was it.

I then went on to be a regular at Chesterfield Billiards for many years and, after it closed, The Break. Like I said, best thing that ever happened to my pool game and I don't miss it one little tiny bit. Same couple of guys passing the same $100 bill back and forth night after night (if Big Ed isn't in retirement again for the umpteenth time).

Lou Figueroa

Last edited:

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Did OMGWTF come on here a year after her deathmatch to commemorate her event?

She carried herself with class and she bet all her own money.

Good for her.

Lou Figueroa
now if she'd just stop writing about
how big Mike Dechaine's head is...

mnb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The issue, for me was that (unlike John), I have never claimed to be a big gambler. I have always said I'm like a $10/$20 a game player. So honestly, I wasn't sure I'd be able to hit the end rail for $10,000. No idea. I also had to take into consideration that as an amateur, I know from past experience that it is impossible for me to predict which Lou is going to show up for a match.

I guess we have different ideas about pool.

Where i'm from, when a guy puts up $10k of his own money to take the worst of it in a game, we don't insult the guy, belittle him, and ultimately run him off.

Whatever you think of him... It's guys like John that make the pool world exciting; not $10/$20 guys like yourself.

My guess is that if John would have won, we would be seeing your money being put in more action and actually have something worth talking about.

Instead, all we get is this lousy thread and another example of why those people who put money into pool and make things happen choose to spend their time somewhere else.

SpiderWebComm

HelpImBeingOppressed
Silver Member
I've told this story many times: Maybe like 15 years ago I asked on RSB what would cause a ball to lose a significant amount of speed coming off a rail. Didn't name any pool hall.

Next thing I know Chris, one of the kids who runs the pool room, is complaining to Shirley, mom the owner, that I'm bad mouthing them, puts on his jacket, and tells her "it's him or me" and storms out of the pool hall. Shirley, of course, choose to support junior. Best thing that ever happened to my pool game.

I had stayed loyal to C&C for many years because of Bob (the owner who passed). He was a player himself and treated me very well when he was alive. I continued to play there after his death, even though I hated the equipment and all the mismatched tables, out of loyalty. Then this happen. I think that was the week Gail I went to Jamaica for a week. When we got home there was a box on our door. In it were the 8x10 B&W photos of me playing in the US Open that used to hang by the 1pocket table in the corner and the set of centennials I used to keep there. And that was it.

I then went on to be a regular at Chesterfield Billiards for many years and, after it closed, The Break. Like I said, best thing that ever happened to my pool game and I don't miss it one little tiny bit. Same couple of guys passing the same $100 bill back and forth night after night (if Big Ed isn't in retirement again for the umpteenth time).

Lou Figueroa
Translation: "These tables play bad... I know because I'm a US OPEN player."

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
When we got home there was a box on our door. In it were the 8x10 B&W photos of me playing in the US Open that used to hang by the 1pocket table in the corner
Lou Figueroa

Did they have an "I Love Lou" wall or was this a little photo shrine that you would set up when you came to play?

I'm not accustomed to bringing my photos and displaying them on the pool hall walls.

Did you bring the photos to your new pool hall?

Just wondering.

Aloha.

shinobi

kanadajindayo
Silver Member
JB's conduct up to and including every possible moment before the match began was ridiculous, whether it be the incessant posts on AZ telling Lou had badly Lou would lose, welching on promises, starting the crap with Eric, telling Lou he didn't bring the bet money and asking if he could paypal it (it was a joke, intended to make Lou furious) etc.

JB likes to poke people with a stick over and over. When they finally react he plays the victim. He seems to have endless energy and obsesses about certain topics and people, whether it be Jack Justis, Lou, Eric, or others.

JB has also *admitted* to, on more than one occasion, taking his attacks to the "real world" (offline) such as calling people's places of work etc. and trying to get them in trouble. All over petty BS that HE thinks warrants a vigilante response.

When you consider the ones he has been caught at or admitted to, it's probably not a stretch to think he also tried to attack others, or even succeeded at attacking some people offline without them ever knowing who or what hit them.

That kind of person gets no sympathy at all, and should consider themselves extremely lucky that the only thing they lost is a pool match.

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I guess we have different ideas about pool.

Where i'm from, when a guy puts up $10k of his own money to take the worst of it in a game, we don't insult the guy, belittle him, and ultimately run him off.

Whatever you think of him... It's guys like John that make the pool world exciting; not $10/$20 guys like yourself.

My guess is that if John would have won, we would be seeing your money being put in more action and actually have something worth talking about.

Instead, all we get is this lousy thread and another example of why those people who put money into pool and make things happen choose to spend their time somewhere else.

Yeah, I know a lot of guys like you. Its kinda sad. Keep putting the money back into action until you lose it. I just decided to do other things with my life.

And to that point, John often spoke about what he'd do with the money if he won. As I recall, in no particular order: jelly up his employees; buy them all lobster and steak; vacation in that Maldives; and buy some air conditioning for the, ah, ummm, sweaty conditions in his shop.

Me? I had enough with my money to fly my wife and I to Manhattan for several days; stay at the Marriott Marquee on Times Square; buy tickets to several hit Broadway shows; and eat at some splendid restaurants.

So, no. I didn't put the money back into action. I'm good with that.

Lou Figueroa

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Did they have an "I Love Lou" wall or was this a little photo shrine that you would set up when you came to play?

I'm not accustomed to bringing my photos and displaying them on the pool hall walls.

Did you bring the photos to your new pool hall?

Just wondering.

Aloha.

As I recall it was a wall with tournament posters and players from the room. One of the guys who ran the room asked for them, since I was one of the few players from that room to play in national events.

Lou Figueroa

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
JB's conduct up to and including every possible moment before the match began was ridiculous, whether it be the incessant posts on AZ telling Lou had badly Lou would lose, welching on promises, starting the crap with Eric, telling Lou he didn't bring the bet money and asking if he could paypal it (it was a joke, intended to make Lou furious) etc.

JB likes to poke people with a stick over and over. When they finally react he plays the victim. He seems to have endless energy and obsesses about certain topics and people, whether it be Jack Justis, Lou, Eric, or others.

JB has also *admitted* to, on more than one occasion, taking his attacks to the "real world" (offline) such as calling people's places of work etc. and trying to get them in trouble. All over petty BS that HE thinks warrants a vigilante response.

When you consider the ones he has been caught at or admitted to, it's probably not a stretch to think he also tried to attack others, or even succeeded at attacking some people offline without them ever knowing who or what hit them.

That kind of person gets no sympathy at all, and should consider themselves extremely lucky that the only thing they lost is a pool match.

Well said, shinobi. Thanks.

Lou Figueroa

mnb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yeah, I know a lot of guys like you. Its kinda sad. Keep putting the money back into action until you lose it. I just decided to do other things with my life.
Thank you for misreading my post. I guess it was my own fault for trying to educate someone who already feels they know everything.

If you weren't so busy trying hard to show us all how smart you are, you would realize that you actually lost money on the whole deal.

That's why (in your own words) you're a $10/$20 guy.

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thank you for misreading my post. I guess it was my own fault for trying to educate someone who already feels they know everything.

If you weren't so busy trying hard to show us all how smart you are, you would realize that you actually lost money on the whole deal.

That's why (in your own words) you're a $10/$20 guy.

No. Only in your mind did I lose money ;-)

And I'm a $10/$20 player because I had a life outside of pool and just play for fun and relaxation, not my next meal. Go educate someone living in their car.

Lou Figueroa

Last edited:
Reactions: KRJ

naji

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A buddy at the pool hall asked me about JB yesterday -- whether I'd heard from him as of late. And I said no, that he'd left AZ and was doing unknown things but that in my fantasies, I thought about him going off to "The Cruel Tutelage of Pai Mei," (like in "Kill Bill") and had been studying 1pocket for months on end under some master 1pocket sensei, so that one year later he would come back and re-challenge me to avenge his honor....

But alas, that was not so.

So anyways, I looked at the date of our original match and realized it'd been exactly one year. I hope he and family are doing well.

Lou Figueroa

i like you Lou you are good people

xXGEARXx

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What does CJ Wiley have to do with Lou whipping JB?

I'm glad JB isn't on the forum anymore, because he took all the JB Bandwagon folks with him.
He was the first person that came to mind. You know, "TOI" and "the game is the teacher" stuff.. Plus, I just like the guy.... LOL.....

phil dade

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Lou Figueroa

Thanks Lou,
It just sounded odd to me that you would be banned from anywhere and I had to ask. I appreciate the answer. Maybe the kid's job was table maintenance...:)
All the best,
phil

DAVE_M

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
He was the first person that came to mind. You know, "TOI" and "the game is the teacher" stuff.. Plus, I just like the guy.... LOL.....

So, you're on the CJ bandwagon too? :eek:uttahere:

Lou doesn't need to bother with anymore silly matches and if he chooses to, I still respect that. Gotta keep the railbirds at bay.

CJ Wiley

ESPN WORLD OPEN CHAMPION
Gold Member
Silver Member
Walking across 5 miles of broken glass carrying John B. on his back.

Lou,

Help me understand why you feel the need to gloat after a year? I haven't read all the posts John put up, so let's just assume he really came after you-or whatever. What is wrong with collecting the money and just moving on? Isn't that the ultimate answer to the situation you were given? You won, what more do you want?

Obviously, you don't have to answer all the questions, I am just illustrating my point. If you want a game that bad, then ask CJ Wiley to play you heads up....

Lou would rather walk across 5 miles of broken glass carrying John B. on his back.

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Lou would rather walk across 5 miles of broken glass carrying John B. on his back.

I would rather do a lot of things than give you another opportunity for your never ending shameless self-promotion.

Lou Figueroa

Last edited:

GoldenFlash

Banned
I would rather do a lot of things than give you another opportunity for your never ending self-promotion.
Lou Figueroa
So what?
That's all YOU do.....self promotion. Who are YOU to act like Mr. goody-goody with the halo??? ......and you can't even play.
Barton should've robbed you, except he made a bad bet, then went batcrazy at gametime. Thus giving you an edge to steamroller him.
Take a look at yourself, hot shot.
And before any of that "I'll play you, Flash, for a zillion" stuff starts.....I already KNOW that I can't play. The difference is you DON'T know that you can't either.
:boring2:

Status
Not open for further replies.