Pad between ferrule and tip

BVal

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What is the pad that goes between the ferrule and the shaft called and where could a person buy some? Any help would be greatly appreciated. I am looking for the commercial name for the pad so I can look some things up about it or if anyone knows any info. on it or just their opinion feel free to post it.

Thanks

BarenbruggeCues

Unregistered User
Silver Member
BVal said:
What is the pad that goes between the ferrule and the shaft called and where could a person buy some? Any help would be greatly appreciated. I am looking for the commercial name for the pad so I can look some things up about it or if anyone knows any info. on it or just their opinion feel free to post it.

Thanks

Vulcanizied fiber........black
red..........not sure, but probably the same.
Atlas.......Prathers ........both have them.

BVal

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Harvywallbanger said:
Never used one before. I like a hard hitting cue personally.
I am just trying to get some info. about them to see if it is something I want to try. I figure here (AZB) is probably the best place to get the info.

Thanks

BVal

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
BarenbruggeCues said:
Vulcanizied fiber........black
red..........not sure, but probably the same.
Atlas.......Prathers ........both have them.
Thank you for the info.

Pinocchio

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
????????

www.cuestik.com
If you have ivory ferrel an use pad an a soft tip (sniper) it will make your
cue hit like a breaded mushroom. If you use a regular laminated tip (moori)
each layer serves as pad an you should have no problem with ivory ferrel.
If you've got to try one I think Atlas (www.cuestik.com) carries brown an black.
Pinocchio

BVal

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Pinocchio said:
www.cuestik.com
If you have ivory ferrel an use pad an a soft tip (sniper) it will make your
cue hit like a breaded mushroom. If you use a regular laminated tip (moori)
each layer serves as pad an you should have no problem with ivory ferrel.
If you've got to try one I think Atlas (www.cuestik.com) carries brown an black.
Pinocchio
I would be putting it on my predator shaft with a sniper tip and I would also be putting on my break cue which will be a pretree custom break cue with a white diamond tip. What do you think?

Pinocchio

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
?????????

I think it would be a mistake. It will change the hit of your playing cue.
Pads had their hay day when cues had bigger butts an were heavier
with ivory ferrels. Some people still use them but they are in the few.
With the cues you have in my opinion they would serve no purpose.
Pinocchio

BVal

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Pinocchio said:
I think it would be a mistake. It will change the hit of your playing cue.
Pads had their hay day when cues had bigger butts an were heavier
with ivory ferrels. Some people still use them but they are in the few.
With the cues you have in my opinion they would serve no purpose.
Pinocchio
Will it make my break cue not hit as stiff?

Pinocchio

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
????????

Stiff would be shaft taper. What would happen if you put a layerof peanut
butter between tip an ferrel that would be soft. I hate to say it but ferrules can change stiffness, too. Shorter an harder more stiff longer
an softer less stiff. If you want to change the hit of your cue get rid of
the Z an go to 314. It might take 8 or 10 days but in the long run you will
be more consistent.
Pinocchio

BVal

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Pinocchio said:
Stiff would be shaft taper. What would happen if you put a layerof peanut
butter between tip an ferrel that would be soft. I hate to say it but ferrules can change stiffness, too. Shorter an harder more stiff longer
an softer less stiff. If you want to change the hit of your cue get rid of
the Z an go to 314. It might take 8 or 10 days but in the long run you will
be more consistent.
Pinocchio
I don't want to change the hit of my z shaft at all - I like it a lot. I was just wondering what the positives/negatives are with the pad. So far I have figured it is either only looks or protecting your ferrule. I have never had any problems with any ferrules I have ever had. I have noticed that the x-breakers have them on it and I was wondering if there is some benefit to have it on a break cue. I am surely not going to put it on my playing cue.

BVal said:

Thanks

It's called a fiber pad and you can buy them from Seybert's (if you only need a few), or from Atlas if you need fifty or more. They come in black, red and blue and in two different thicknesses.

Fiber pads are usually found on Ivory ferruled shafts. The idea being that the pad acts as a protective cuhion between the tip and the Ivory ferrule thereby protecting the ferrule. I have fiber pads on both shafts of my Tucker cue and IMO, the pad does not affect the hit in any way. It's just an inexpensive way to protect an ivory ferrule. As far as the color of the pad that's just a matter of personal preference.

Fats

CaptainHook

NOT Mike Sigel
Silver Member
Aaron_S said:
Seems like my Schon had a red one on it when it was new. I never found out what it was made of. Check out this website:

http://www.frankiedoodle.com/services.html

It seems to be what he is referring to as a "break pad", and is apparently supposed to protect the ferrule.

Aaron

Frankie put them on under my White Diamond tips.:)

Attachments

• SterlingWithWhiteDiamondTips.JPG
    SterlingWithWhiteDiamondTips.JPG
    38.5 KB · Views: 555

dave fingers

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
BVal said:
...have them on it and I was wondering if there is some benefit to have it on a break cue.

They help keep the ferrule from cracking when you use cheap ferrule material. Not needed with premium material.

Jigger

Lets Roll....(...(..(.(O
Silver Member
BVal said:

Thanks

Asked the same question in the "Ask the Cuemakers" forum some time back. Got some interesting comments. No strong concensus as to why or should a pad be used.:confused: Hope this helps............

http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=29172&highlight=ferrule

14oneman

Straight, no chaser!
Silver Member
Who you callin' cheap!?! LOL!

dave fingers said:
They help keep the ferrule from cracking when you use cheap ferrule material. Not needed with premium material.

Well, I would'nt exactly consider Ivory a cheap ferrule! :eek: I personally like the hit of a pad, and all my cues have always had them. The ones with Ivory, and the ones with some other material.

I'll admit I am "old school" in most regards, and I play mostly Straight Pool, and I grew up in the "pad" era. ;) So, shoot me! :p

manwon

"WARLOCK 1"
Silver Member
I do not really understand:confused: I have not seen anyone use a fiber backing on a ferrule unless it was Ivory.

The backing is mainly designed to help insulate the ferrule from shock due to hard hits.

This has been a standard for many cue makers for the last 20 years or more when using an Ivory ferrule. I have never preferred it myself, and I have never had a problem with breaking an Ivory ferrule without the fiber backing either.

In my opinion using a fiber backing with a normal ferrule would make the cue hit hard not softer, either way trying it is the best way to see if you like it.

Have a good day

Manwon

Last edited:

dave fingers

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
14oneman said:
Well, I would'nt exactly consider Ivory a cheap ferrule!
I'm sorry, I did not mean ivory. I was refering to some mass produced break cues that use a pad because its needed due to cheap ferrule material.