Past Derby City champions....no Earl???

Maniac

2manyQ's
Silver Member
I pulled up the Derby City's website the other day to see the list of all the past champions and noticed that Earl Strickland has not won any event over the tournament's years.

Does he not play in the Derby City Classic?

Maniac (just curious)

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I think he played in some early years but I don't recall seeing him recently.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Earl played in numerous Derby City Classics, though not in recent years.

His failure to win an event is certainly surprising, but that said .....

... about ten years ago. he was quite unlucky not to win the one-pocket event. He and Shane were double hill in the final. Earl was in the process of lining up a difficult shot with the cue ball in the kitchen. My guess is the shot was 50% at best, but probably less than that. He looked at the crowd, and said, "if I make it, I win, and if I miss, I lose,", which seemed likely given the position. He came with the long tough shot, broke the pack nicely, but was very unlucky not to get a good look at another shot. That bad roll doomed him and Shane went on to win the match and the title.

Sometimes, being good isn't enough.

Note: this has been amended as the year indicated was wrong.

Last edited:

xianmacx

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Doesn't look like he's played since 2016. It possible he played but didn't cash since 2016 but that seems unlikely to me.

Ian

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Earl played in numerous Derby City Classics, though not in recent years.

His failure to win an event is certainly surprising, but that said .....

... he was quite unlucky not to win the one-pocket event in what I believe was 2010. He and Scott Frost were double hill in the final. Earl was in the process of lining up a difficult shot with the cue ball in the kitchen. My guess is the shot was 50% at best, but probably less than that. He looked at the crowd, and said, "if I make it, I win, and if I miss, I lose,", which seemed likely given the position. He came with the long tough shot, broke the pack nicely, but was very unlucky not to get a good look at another shot. That bad roll doomed him and Scott Frost went on to win the match and the title.

Sometimes, being good isn't enough.

I vaguely recall he was in the one pocket final with Shane another year. I can't recall if it was DCC or Tunica.

Reactions: sjm

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
I vaguely recall he was in the one pocket final with Shane another year. I can't recall if it was DCC or Tunica.
Yeah, I surely have the year wrong. It may well have been the 2011 final against Shane. It's a bit of a blur at this point, but I was there and recall that Earl got super-unlucky not to snap off the event. On further reflection, I think the 2010 final was Scott Frost vs Syler Ochoa, but I'm still not absolutely sure.

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Yeah, I surely have the year wrong. It may well have been the 2011 final against Shane. It's a bit of a blur at this point, but I was there and recall that Earl got super-unlucky not to snap off the event. On further reflection, I think the 2010 final was Scott Frost vs Syler Ochoa, but I'm still not absolutely sure.
Right you are, stu, on both 2010 (SVB over Earl) and 2011 (Frost over Ochoa).

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Speaking of Derby City one of the most impressive accomplishments in pool is Efren winning the one pocket title six times with such a large field.

Z-Nole

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Speaking of Derby City one of the most impressive accomplishments in pool is Efren winning the one pocket title six times with such a large field.
Absolutely. The old man knows how to grind.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Agreed 100%. Not only is the DCC 1-pocket event a marathon in every sense of the word, but its race to three format almost ensures that there will be some stress along the way, even for the champion. That said, I think the race to three format is what makes the DCC 1-pocket event so electrifying.

To me, the most amazing thing about Efren (Cornerman sensitized me to this many years ago when we sweated an Efren match together) is the way he defended a winning position. Once he had the advantage in a rack, you nearly never saw an opponent turn the tables on him.

RADAR

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
No doubt Efren is the king of the Derby like Luther Lassiter in Johnson City,IL. events!