Playing while sick.

ccn7

Ole Pool Fool
Silver Member
I should have just stayed home lastnight.I was feeling terrible but went and played anyways, needless to say it was a disaster.I had no focus and let 2 players beat me, that usually never do.How many of you have done the same thing.I convinced myself i was gona play bad and just talked myself into playing bad.Can one over come illness with postive thinking and still play good.Or would it be best to just give it up for that night.

Jude Rosenstock

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
ccn7 said:
I should have just stayed home lastnight.I was feeling terrible but went and played anyways, needless to say it was a disaster.I had no focus and let 2 players beat me, that usually never do.How many of you have done the same thing.I convinced myself i was gona play bad and just talked myself into playing bad.Can one over come illness with postive thinking and still play good.Or would it be best to just give it up for that night.

I once did an 8-hour gambling session with a splitting headache and 3 hours sleep. Probably some of the best pool I've ever played. The headache was so bad at times, I couldn't even think about how much the shot was worth.

rc11

Bad Shot
Silver Member
Hmm

I've played for 7-9 hours with a cold/runny nose several times before.

I still wanted to play, but the fact that my nose was running like faucet kinda pissed the hell out of me. Needless to say, I barely made any shot in but kept forcing myself to play hoping that I would improve and my cold would go away. Neither one happened on those nights....:eek:

Fast Lenny

Faster Than You...
Silver Member
I have played pool while going through some really bad health problems,it was really tough,i would sometimes feel dizzy and nauseas.The other night i played and felt nauseas,the guy i was playing in a 100 point game which with playing with him takes 3 hours had me by 30 balls and i came back but only to lose 100-98.At the half mark i was down by 30 but then i started to feel better after cold water on the head,drinking a bottle of water and focued breathing.I wasnt going to go out that night and regretted it in the beginning of the game but i played through it and started to feel pretty good too.:)

jimmyg

Mook! What's a Mook?
Silver Member
ccn7 said:

As I was reading your post the U.S. Open classic tennis match between Pete Samprass and Krickstein popped right into my mind.

I remember watching the match on TV, Sampress had a stomach virus and was vomitting between points, you actually was able to see him throwing up several times. When he wasn't throwing up or playing a point he was hunched over with stomach cramps. It was amazing. And Krickstein was playing incredible tennis, probably the match of his life.

But Pete Samprass eventually won the match, it was really something to watch. I don't recall whether Samprass won the title that year, although I think that he did - in my mind he absolutely did.

So, I guess if you have the heart of a champion, even for just one evening. and are willing to reach down deeper than you ever have, yes, you can overcome much more than you think you can.

I'd probably just stay home and watch some tennis matches.:)

Jim

Last edited:

Bugz

Glutton for Punishment
Silver Member
I've played Sick a few times, and played great. Just like any sport i've played, i get so into the game. I forget about anything else. i'd rather play pool when i'm sick, then sit around the house thinking about how much it sucks that i'm sick.

Sick and a headache are different things though, I play like dog sh^t when i have a headache or am extremely tired.

Hierovision

Dios mio, man.
Silver Member
ccn7 said:
Can one over come illness with postive thinking and still play good.Or would it be best to just give it up for that night.

I played well with appendicitis. A few months back I noticed a pain in my lower right abdominal area and didn't know what it was... I had league that night so I went and played anyway. I focused on the pain but I also never thought about shooting bad. I think because I focused on the pain it distracted my conscious mind and let my subconscious do the work because I shot pretty well. The next day I had my appendix removed :D

42NateBaller

AKA "Drambuie Dave"
Silver Member
I played two weeks with pnuemonia. Some of the worst pool I've ever played. If I'm not feeling well, I'm not going to play. That stretch did damage to my game that I'm still recovering from.

radge69

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Had the flu a couple weeks ago, played very well the couple league nights that I played while I had it. My theory is you feel like crap so you're thinking less, just trusting your judgement and shooting. JMO

shinyballs

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I usually play bad when I'm sick, but there has been once or twice that I've been able to play pretty well. I remember Michael Jordan playing with the flu in the finals against Utah and scoring 38 points. I can see playing pool, but basketball? Very impressive.

sky..

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
shinyballs said:
I usually play bad when I'm sick, but there has been once or twice that I've been able to play pretty well. I remember Michael Jordan playing with the flu in the finals against Utah and scoring 38 points. I can see playing pool, but basketball? Very impressive.

The game agains boston was even more impressive, I think he scored 63 points.

EDIT: Did a quick google. He wasn't sick that time.. he was just hot.

Last edited:

Stones

YEAH, I'M WOOFING AT YOU!
Silver Member
Played a 17 hour session with the flu. Got done at 7 a.m., went to my car, started it up, put it in gear, passed out and ran into a concrete pole.

Woke up and drove home, slept for 10 hours, got up, went to the hospital.

Diagnosis: pnuemonia. Spent most of what I made on the hospital bill.

But, I won't keep you in suspense.

I lived through it.

jeffwinters

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
ccn7 said:

I won my first ever championship having fever, i don't know, maybe there's extra focus and adrenaline when playing sick.

Varney Cues

Handcrafted quality!
Silver Member
Quick fix...go to the Drug store and buy the 12 or 24 hour Sudafed, the good kind they keep behind the counter. Take 2...or 3............you'll feel fine & play great pool for lots of hours. Now let it be known I'm not responsible for the above medical advice...I'm not a doctor but I have slept at a Holiday Inn before.:D
Works pretty good if your not sick too.;)