Poolhistory.com / Cue Ball Kelly

kling&allen

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Jake Dyer (Hustler Days) has been building up his poolhistory.com site with lots of content from different sources. Here's an article of mine on Cue Ball Kelly that he recently posted:

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
In the 1970s Cue Ball Kelly showed up to a lot of major tournaments. If a practice table was unused, he would start to demonstrate various proposition bets and shots. Often the players would join in with their favorite shots. One of Kelly's favorites was to rack up eight ball. He would then throw the cue ball -- finger billiards -- three cushions and within a set number of shots, knock the 8 ball into the designated corner pocket. (Right corner as you are racking. Leave the balls where they are knocked to after each throw.) He would bet on 13 throws to make the 8. I saw him do it in three throws.

The 1980 World Championship (14.1) was at the Roosevelt Hotel in NYC. It was a great venue with four main tables in the ballroom with bleacher seating all around and seating up on the balcony. I got drafted to be a referee in the event -- I had intended to just watch but they were short handed. In eight days I reffed 24 matches calling each ball and the score. "Seven ball ... 37." Kelly at the age of 86 refereed 27 matches in that tournament. I don't know how he did it. My arms felt like they were going to fall off.

Kelly had some interesting stories about Greenleaf, but not for this forum.

kling&allen

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
In the 1970s Cue Ball Kelly showed up to a lot of major tournaments. If a practice table was unused, he would start to demonstrate various proposition bets and shots. Often the players would join in with their favorite shots. One of Kelly's favorites was to rack up eight ball. He would then throw the cue ball -- finger billiards -- three cushions and within a set number of shots, knock the 8 ball into the designated corner pocket. (Right corner as you are racking. Leave the balls where they are knocked to after each throw.) He would bet on 13 throws to make the 8. I saw him do it in three throws.

The 1980 World Championship (14.1) was at the Roosevelt Hotel in NYC. It was a great venue with four main tables in the ballroom with bleacher seating all around and seating up on the balcony. I got drafted to be a referee in the event -- I had intended to just watch but they were short handed. In eight days I reffed 24 matches calling each ball and the score. "Seven ball ... 37." Kelly at the age of 86 refereed 27 matches in that tournament. I don't know how he did it. My arms felt like they were going to fall off.

Kelly had some interesting stories about Greenleaf, but not for this forum.

Thanks Bob!