pre made case inserts?

loco

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hi I am looking for a place to buy the insides of a 3X5 case, I am planing on doing my own leather work just need the foam block inside

thanks

ajrack

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
pvc plastic pipe lined with a stretch material like double knits...about 36 " long, then stretch it thru the pipe then back over the ends...tape and / or glue the fabric / then tape the pipes together in the pattern you wish...3x5/4x7...whatever...make your leather pattern to cover the pipes...sew and then insert your pattern in your new case!!!!

Zims Rack

Promoting the Cueing Arts
Silver Member
I would also recommend putting foam or something soft at the bottom of the inside of the tubes to cushion the cue.

Zim

Zims Rack

Promoting the Cueing Arts
Silver Member
Has anyone actually made their own case like ajrack described?
ajrack- have you made one before?

If you have, please post a photo or two.

Thanks,
Zim

Michael Webb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You may want to call Joe Porper and see if he'll sell you just the insert for the case. (800)388-5132

I

instroke

Zims Rack said:
Has anyone actually made their own case like ajrack described?
ajrack- have you made one before?

If you have, please post a photo or two.

Thanks,
Zim

I have made a couple. :)

Attachments

• pic00001.jpg
    pic00001.jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 211
I

instroke

loco said:
Hi I am looking for a place to buy the insides of a 3X5 case, I am planing on doing my own leather work just need the foam block inside

thanks

Dude,

The foam core cases are so inexpensive these days that you can just buy the ones you need and throw away the exterior. Just check ebay and you will probably be able to get what you need for around $30.

John

Celtic

AZB's own 8-ball jihadist
Silver Member
Hey Instroke. I was actually attempting to build a case and ran into a snag. I was able to get the tubes built really nicely with ultra soft leather lining on the inside just fine. One problem I have is something rigid to use as an exterior support. Instroke cases have some kind of an exterior piece that surrounds the PVC tubes and adds support and structure to the case. I bought a large piece of black ABS sheet that I figured on heating and forming in the shape and size I want it but I am not sure it will work. What is it you guys use for that part?

I know you can avoid this outer structure all together and make a Justis type case but I want more support then that. Plus do you have any ideas how a person could incorrperate wood caps to the top and bottom of the case? In the bottom I would like the wood to support the tubes but cannot figure on how to connect the leather in some strong and good looking fashion. I am trying to get a case that looks like a cross between a Whitten case and a Fellini style top and bottom with PVC tubing as the interior structure.

I

instroke

Celtic said:
Hey Instroke. I was actually attempting to build a case and ran into a snag. I was able to get the tubes built really nicely with ultra soft leather lining on the inside just fine. One problem I have is something rigid to use as an exterior support. Instroke cases have some kind of an exterior piece that surrounds the PVC tubes and adds support and structure to the case. I bought a large piece of black ABS sheet that I figured on heating and forming in the shape and size I want it but I am not sure it will work. What is it you guys use for that part?

I know you can avoid this outer structure all together and make a Justis type case but I want more support then that. Plus do you have any ideas how a person could incorrperate wood caps to the top and bottom of the case? In the bottom I would like the wood to support the tubes but cannot figure on how to connect the leather in some strong and good looking fashion. I am trying to get a case that looks like a cross between a Whitten case and a Fellini style top and bottom with PVC tubing as the interior structure.

We use a laminated cardboard to provide structure to the exterior material. The cardboard is pliable enough to make the turn yet strong enough to provide good structure. We also use plastic sheeting on some cases and we glue it for the closure.

As for the wood caps: If you want them to support the tubes then you will need to connect them to the tubes in some fashion. We glue the cap to the tubes. Whitten has wood plugs that are glued to the main cap. The wood plugs extend into the tubes and are attached with a wooden dowel inserted into a hole that has been drilled into the tube/wood plug. To have the wood caps be visible you simply need for them to extend beyond the edge of the body. The Fellini/McDermott style has the wood being slightly oversized at the end so that it blends perfectly with the edge of the body.

There are really a multitude of ways to do the end cap. I prefer the Whitten way for looks and the Instroke way for ease of construction and repairs.

Good luck and let us see what you come up with - I'll probably want one if you decide to share your creativity!

John;)

Celtic

AZB's own 8-ball jihadist
Silver Member
Thanks alot Instroke. I will definetly post a picture of the case once it is built as well as my cue. I really like the whitten idea of dowels that extend into the tubes, alot easier then borring out circles into the wood and doing the reverse as I was thinking =)

qguy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
how about foam spray, glue or tie all the PVC tubes then spray foam and then cut to shape