question on your collection

axlrose

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
cue collecting

Hi, Mike.

I did not see this thread or I would most certainly have offered my thoughts.

Most importantly, I collect cues because I love them. I have not seen anything else I enjoy as much, hobby-wise, like cues to buy and enjoy using on a regular basis. Personally, I have gone through a number of phases with cues, starting from my first Meucci and Falcon, when I was purely concerned with playing and didn't give a second thought to collectibility, big names, or the point in having such expensive cues. Granted, I hadn't owned higher end cues at that point, so I couldn't really appreciate the enjoyment of finding, buying and, hopefully, using them. When I got more into it, I bought some more expensive Schons too. I think just about everyone has owned a Schon at one point in time. I have come to see them as something of a bridge between the production and custom worlds. A certain theme didn't really occur to me until several years later, after I had bought and sold a lot of cues, some of which I very much regret but seemed like the right thing at the time. Blah, blah, blah...same old story.

I had a very hard time focussing on one maker because there are so many great cues and designs out there. I love nice wood combinations, and can definitely appreciate more traditional styles of cues. For me, the black, white and silver just came to stand out as the ones that caught my eye the most often.

In the end, I would suggest the following:

Prioritize in your mind, deep down and not just what catches your eye right now, what you really love in cues, including playablility, materials used, design aspects. Secondary to that, identify those makers who produce the applicable cues and focus on them. I will say, the first time I saw a Rasputin, I fell in love with it right away and I had never even heard of Ginacue or Ernie Gutierrez. Third, if you know you will likely sell or trade them at some point, give the necessary weight to what the market dictates as being the most desireable cue names. The reality is, expensive cues can be seen as legitimate investments and should be afforded the due consideration.

Once you have clearly defined what makes you consider taking out a second mortgage, you can feel assured you are spending your money on what you will truly enjoy for the long run. If you take your time and only bite when you can't live without it, I think you will by-pass a lot of cues that are the "comers and goers" and slowly build a collection to really be proud of.

I remember reading some of the "Cue Articles" on Chalkers.com that gave advice from some of the most notable cue collectors. The common message among them was to buy what you truly love and hang on to them but, if you trade, always trade up.

I hope this has been helpful.

Best wishes,
Ryan (always on the lookout for the next cue I can't live without)

Last edited:

Qjunkie

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ryan- you area agood example of what Im talking about in a collector that re-focuses his collection. I mean you flipped some really great cues (Prewitt, Gina, and Bender) any of those cues wouldve been the highlight in ones collection. Thanks again for your thoughts on this subject.

cuenut

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I now have two focuses, find a nice deal that I can make a little money with so that I can get to my long term focus of buying cues that I really enjoy. I seem to be slowly migrating to the older or more traditional looking cues, and particularly like Titlists and reverse points.

When I find any cue, regardless of whether it is production or custom, and can get it at a decent enough price to make a little money on, I buy it and try to sell or flip it and upgrade. I have been relatively successful in this endeavor in the past, and am currently doing the same. I shoot out trade offers pretty often, as most of you have seen. It doesn't hurt to ask.

I currently have about 25 cues, about a dozen of which are not for sale. They were picked up either for my kids or have significant sentimental value to me (the Schrager made for Raist, and two cues given to me by another friend who passed away). I also picked up a cue I believe to be an authentica Kersenbrock, and if it turns out to be one according to Laurie and the gang at SW, it will be a keeper in that group as well. Other than that, every other cue is up for discussion. I will likely add cues very sparingly to my keeper group.