questions about my Schon sl18....

All4Moose

Moose
Silver Member
DSCF1231.jpg

these are a few pictures of my schon cue. i believe it is the model sl18... it fits that model type but the wood is different according to the BBC3. its a gorgious piece imho, but it is starting to show its age. i would like to have it refinished but not sure who to go to. as you can tell its an old cue due to the no dots over the O, and the shaft doesnt have the name schon on it either. it does have a little run out in the shaft but not enought to complain about. so on to the questions:
1. what type of wrap would you go with if you refinished this cue???
2. who would you have refinish it???
3. would you get another shaft for it or just keep the origional one???

thanks,
sean
DSCF1233.jpg

Fast Lenny

Faster Than You...
Silver Member
Personally I would go with a brown or tan leather wrap,as for the shaft,you could get an aftermarket predator shaft or another Schon shaft and screw it right on since there is no ring work on the collars.Nice cue. :)

poohkiller

Still life.
Silver Member
Obviously having Schon to refinish it would be a good choice. I have read many positive reviews on their repair work and I own an STL-4 Schon on which the finish is way nicer than on any other production cue I have ever seen. Mine is 6 months old and it's just like it is brand new - of course because I take good care of it -, but the finish is awesome anyways, it's extremely nicely done.

As for the wrap, you may see that Schon puts out a couple of cues - especially LTDs - with leather wraps and those seem to be very nice too, however I have never held one. It would be nice to see a picture of your whole cue to tell how does the current wrap look on it. To be honest I like it the way it is, it has got some patina to it. You may want to consider a linen wrap because although a tan or brown leather would match your cue perfectly I think it would take away a little from the awesome design of its overall look. Of course with a leather wrap you cannot go wrong, but for some reason I'd take some sort of a linen wrap into consideration also.

I would give a try for the ivory ferruled schon shafts. I play with one of those and it's great... and it weighs 4.5 oz which is incredible.

You have a very-very nice cue, it is a real keeper!

Rift

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'd say as well, it would be best to contact Schon for everything you need. I've heard great things about their customer service and great prices for their services as well. But I'm definitely a fan of having the maker of the cue do any work on it as well, even as far as tips go though many cue makers can and will reccomend someone to contact for tip replacements.

All4Moose

Moose
Silver Member
i have heard good things about proficient billiards refinishing as well as muellers.... i was thinking with going with either a brown aligator wrap that is matched to the cocobolo, or a stacked leather wrap from muellers... with the two colors matching the birdseye and cocobolo. how do you guys think that would look??? as you can tell i am not the worlds best cue designer lol. thanks for the great info guys... keep it comming.

Vinman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Wow, nice birdseye! That cue would look great with a tan leather wrap.

For a refinish, I would send it back to Schon. They do great work and are easy to deal with. Something to consider for the future, I've heard Evan won't work on a cue that has been repaired/serviced by anyone else.