Rear Chuck

Glenn Deneweth

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I need to purchase a Rear chuck for my lathe. Can anyone recommend a good place? I know of a couple, but I was wondering if there were others. I will also need a coupler, will I have to machine that myself?

Thanks,

Glenn

rhncue

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Glenn Deneweth said:
I need to purchase a Rear chuck for my lathe. Can anyone recommend a good place? I know of a couple, but I was wondering if there were others. I will also need a coupler, will I have to machine that myself?

Thanks,

Glenn

On one of my lathes I have a 3-jaw scroll chuck that I got off of e-bay. the guy had a bunch of them as they were going off a couple of times a week. He hasn't put any on for the last month or so. A couple of weeks ago, after talking with you I did a Google search and way on down the list I found a place that had them for 49.95. I bought 4 more of them, two for myself and two for friends. The places site is http://www.lostcreekmachine.com/new_tools.htm The item number is TJ50 10076 and it's under the woodworking tools. Nice and lightweight but plenty accurite.
You will have to make your own adapter but thats no big deal. First you must bore the chucks thru hole to a little bigger than 1.375". Then I used a piece of round 3" diameter aluminum, trued it up, bored and cut threads to fit the spindle to the depth and put a couple of set-screws in it so as to lock it in place, I then bored the back part of the aluminum so that the chucks mount was a snug fit into the back of the adapter and put a couple of set-screws in it also.
I don't know how to put pictures on here or I would take a couple. It works real good and I'm going to replace the one on my other lathe with the one I just purchased.
Dick

Cue Crazy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Tracy,

I believe the rods may be to chuck the jaws down with. The jaws/chuck has holes in the side that they fit to tighten and loosen the chuck.

rhncue

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Cue Crazy said:
Tracy,

I believe the rods may be to chuck the jaws down with. The jaws/chuck has holes in the side that they fit to tighten and loosen the chuck.

Correct.
Dick

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
TJ50_10076.jpg

thxn Tracy.
I dunno if it's worth the effort.
I've made some 1 3/8 delrin collets to fit front and backs of forearms and shafts of differing size.
Kinda look scary to me.:eek:

rhncue

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
JoeyInCali said:
TJ50_10076.jpg

thxn Tracy.
I dunno if it's worth the effort.
I've made some 1 3/8 delrin collets to fit front and backs of forearms and shafts of differing size.
Kinda look scary to me.:eek:

It does look a little goofy there but those handles don't stay there. They are similer to two cut off screw drivers. You insert one into the cuck coller when opening and closing. It works surprisingly good. I've got a reguler 6" scroll chuck on the back of another lathe but it's so much overkill. I'm going to take it off and mount one of these on it also.
Dick

Jon

Custom User Title
Silver Member
I'm thinking about mounting a 4" Buck 3 jaw on the back of my lathe.
Hrm... the headstock has two bearings at the chuck and one in the back.
It should hold it up :D

Dick,

How heavy is your 6" scroll chuck?
And also how thick? (how bulky)

Thanks,

Jon

rhncue

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Jon said:
I'm thinking about mounting a 4" Buck 3 jaw on the back of my lathe.
Hrm... the headstock has two bearings at the chuck and one in the back.
It should hold it up :D

Dick,

How heavy is your 6" scroll chuck?
And also how thick? (how bulky)

Thanks,

Jon

Probably about 20 lbs. It's the chuck and backing plate that came off of the front of the lathe when I put a 6" set-tru up there. Been on there for about thirteen years with no problem. I've changed motors and put on a VFD drive on the lathe so that now I can run up to over 3000 rpm so I'm changing that back chuck to a lighter one. I'd hate for that one to come off.
Dick

Jon

Custom User Title
Silver Member
Thanks Dick.
So you think i should have no problem with the 4" Buck on my Enco?
I think the max speed is close to 2000 RPM.

Thanks again,

Jon

Murray Tucker

Just a Padawan
Silver Member
Glenn Deneweth said:
http://www.taigtools.com/c1050.html

This is the one I bought today.

Glenn

That's the one that I have on my 9 X 20 Enco. I'm not having any luck posting pictures. Maybe I'll put up a link later.

When you bore it don't chuck on the OD. Take it apart and chuck on the step where the scroll rides. I bored a set of soft jaws to hold it perfect. If you need any help give me a email.

Glenn Deneweth

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Murray wrote:
"When you bore it don't chuck on the OD. Take it apart and chuck on the step where the scroll rides."

That will be my next issue to deal with, I have no idea even how to begin this procedure.

Glenn

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
HERE is a link on the dissassembly of the chuck. You can see the internal construction and where to hold it when boring it.

DaveK

Still crazy after all these years
Silver Member
Glenn Deneweth said:
Murray wrote:
"When you bore it don't chuck on the OD. Take it apart and chuck on the step where the scroll rides."

That will be my next issue to deal with, I have no idea even how to begin this procedure.

Glenn

Not that I need to do this for a cue-lathe-chuck, but would it be reasonable to clamp the chuck down on a mandrel that is smaller than the existing bore ? I imagine that the work should be nicely centered, but perhaps the bore would not be parallel. Of course it's just a hole as opposed to a fit, so non-parallel sides should not matter. It is tough to describe this error, but it would also cause the back to be convex if one decided to face off the back while held this way.

Dave

lignum

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I bought the Cuesmith one myself , $100 , and for another $35 Chris promptly sent it all the way to me in South Australia !
No one here has even heard of a rear chuck before .
One of my wiser purchases for sure , makes a lot of jobs a lot easier !;)

cueman

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
lignum said:
I bought the Cuesmith one myself , $100 , and for another $35 Chris promptly sent it all the way to me in South Australia !
No one here has even heard of a rear chuck before .
One of my wiser purchases for sure , makes a lot of jobs a lot easier !;)
I am glad the chuck worked out for you. Are there many cuemakers in Australia? Do you have a guess how many? I have only seen David Hunters cues from there.
Chris
www.cuesmith.com
www.internationalcuemakers.com

Last edited: