Reemergence of rotation in the pool circuit?

Hail Mary Shot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Would the U.S. pool community be willing to organize a rotation pool event in their circuit? I think it's time for this game to reclaim it's place as a skilled pool game. bankpool has been included, 10-ball is the new pill, 1P is an entertaining game and 14.1 is regaining it's momentum again. so why not rotation? I hope that this pool game is given a chance to showcase it's value. If not in the U.S., maybe the Philippines could start such trend.

Gerry

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It sure looks like things are moving in that direction. IMO since there are no Nation wide tours for the pros, and pool is lets face it....somewhat in the dumps, the players are looking to play a game that is equal to thier ability, not a game that is good for TV. 10ball will be "the" game in 2008 just like jerry wrote about on the main page of AZB today.

What I'd like to know is this....did we play rotation here in the states back in the day like they play it in the Phillipines now? I learned from a nice guy from the Phillipines, and it can be confusing at first, but an excellent game once you get rollling.

Gerry

Hail Mary Shot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Gerry said:
It sure looks like things are moving in that direction. IMO since there are no Nation wide tours for the pros, and pool is lets face it....somewhat in the dumps, the players are looking to play a game that is equal to thier ability, not a game that is good for TV. 10ball will be "the" game in 2008 just like jerry wrote about on the main page of AZB today.

What I'd like to know is this....did we play rotation here in the states back in the day like they play it in the Phillipines now? I learned from a nice guy from the Phillipines, and it can be confusing at first, but an excellent game once you get rollling.

Gerry

I believe it's the Americans who introduced the game in the Philippines. the rules just varied accordingly to the skill level which developed among players. one crazy handicap I heard is the 1 shot/turn handicap for the strong player. others are points handicap, like 30-40 points to win while your opponent shoots for the full 61 count. I also remembered the so-called last ball scratch to win. it seems easy but it's not.

Also, the only people I knew who plays and have an idea of the game are oldtimers. I asked younger people if they knew how to play rotation and they just give me this raised eyebrow and said "WHAT?"

Last edited:

PALMERJOHN

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yeah, Gerry I like the game too !

The only person that will play the game with me is Gel !
We play the Philipines way. Still very much the same as american.
Spotting the balls is different . The game does intrigue me quite a bit.
My adrenaline level gets pumped. I wish more people would investigate
and play this game.

Flex

Banger
Silver Member
Another very interesting and taxing game that is similar to rotation but tougher in some regards is 8-ball rotation. Talk about wrapping your mind around that game. Strategy plays a very big part in it. Several of the friends I shoot pool with are now into playing a variation on rotation where any foul is rewarded with ball in hand. Also we're playing 8 ball rotation from time to time. When a newbie comes by, we switch back to BCA 8 ball, and does that sure seem easy in comparison. Playing rotation and 8 ball rotation will probably help most people's games. Heck, when playing rotation and there are only 6 balls left on the table, it seems so easy, even if it really isn't.

Flex

David Beck

Let us to Billiards!
Silver Member
Flex said:
Another very interesting and taxing game that is similar to rotation but tougher in some regards is 8-ball rotation. Talk about wrapping your mind around that game. Strategy plays a very big part in it. Several of the friends I shoot pool with are now into playing a variation on rotation where any foul is rewarded with ball in hand. Also we're playing 8 ball rotation from time to time. When a newbie comes by, we switch back to BCA 8 ball, and does that sure seem easy in comparison. Playing rotation and 8 ball rotation will probably help most people's games. Heck, when playing rotation and there are only 6 balls left on the table, it seems so easy, even if it really isn't.

Flex

I was just trying to think of how 8 Ball Rotation would work before I saw this post. Didn't know it actually existed.

gopi-1

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hail Mary Shot said:
I believe it's the Americans who introduced the game in the Philippines. the rules just varied accordingly to the skill level which developed among players. one crazy handicap I heard is the 1 shot/turn handicap for the strong player. others are points handicap, like 30-40 points to win while your opponent shoots for the full 61 count. I also remembered the so-called last ball scratch to win. it seems easy but it's not.

Also, the only people I knew who plays and have an idea of the game are oldtimers. I asked younger people if they knew how to play rotation and they just give me this raised eyebrow and said "WHAT?"

The one shot turn is called "Stop One", were after pocketing the lowest
numbered ball on the table, your turn is over. This handicap is for the
dummies. You might think your opponent can't run out on you, but after his
turn, you're neither snookered for the next ball or no shot at all. Never,
EVER take up on someone who offered you this spot. You'll be wracking
your brains out after playing one game.

If your handicap is to make 30 to win, your opponent needs to make 90,
not 61. If you add all the balls from their face value, the total is 120.

Darth-Pinoy

Registered
Hail Mary Shot said:
Would the U.S. pool community be willing to organize a rotation pool event in their circuit? I think it's time for this game to reclaim it's place as a skilled pool game. bankpool has been included, 10-ball is the new pill, 1P is an entertaining game and 14.1 is regaining it's momentum again. so why not rotation? I hope that this pool game is given a chance to showcase it's value. If not in the U.S., maybe the Philippines could start such trend.
Now THERE's an idea!

I'd pay good money to watch WPC-Rotation! Unfortunately, there probably aren't as eager for it as me. So sponsorship for such an event might be a problem.

Wooohhhoooo.....what an idea! It's something a lot of us back here have been waiting for so long now!

Hail Mary Shot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
gopi-1 said:
The one shot turn is called "Stop One", were after pocketing the lowest
numbered ball on the table, your turn is over. This handicap is for the
dummies. You might think your opponent can't run out on you, but after his
turn, you're neither snookered for the next ball or no shot at all. Never,
EVER take up on someone who offered you this spot. You'll be wracking
your brains out after playing one game.

If your handicap is to make 30 to win, your opponent needs to make 90,
not 61. If you add all the balls from their face value, the total is 120.

I know what you mean, but you are refering to the shortstop rules. I'm only refering to the simple +advantage to the one who asks for it. like asking for +20, so that means you just need to pocket a total of 41 points, not less to win. while your opponent needs the full 61 count. hope this clarifies things. ;)

gopi-1

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hail Mary Shot said:
I know what you mean, but you are refering to the shortstop rules. I'm only refering to the simple +advantage to the one who asks for it. like asking for +20, so that means you just need to pocket a total of 41 points, not less to win. while your opponent needs the full 61 count. hope this clarifies things. ;)

My bad!
1237.gif

Gerry

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
PALMERJOHN said:
The only person that will play the game with me is Gel !
We play the Philipines way. Still very much the same as american.
Spotting the balls is different . The game does intrigue me quite a bit.
My adrenaline level gets pumped. I wish more people would investigate
and play this game.

My man John.....howsitgoin?

yea, I got to play Gel a few hours of rotation and he had some good stories of back home in the Phillipines, and seeing Parica, Efren, and crew play the game. It took me about an hour to get the hang of the game, then I was able to get out a couple times once I realized what to do. Nothing like learning a new game like rotation, then playing a set of 9ball.....it seems too easy!

see you soon, Gerry