Routine Shots

Louis Ulrich

Over the past few weeks I have had many players asking what it is that I have been doing on the practice table to produce so many high finishes in tournaments. Although my basic answer is practice, I haven't been able to actually show anyone my full practice routine simply because it would probably take more than a week to go through the whole thing. One thing that I can share that won't take too long to discuss is the importance of Routine Shots.

Routine shots, for me anyway, are the shots that come up at least every other game, if not every game. These routine shots can be found in almost every instructional book, and are taught by all the instructors. Knowing and being able to execute routine shots is in my opinion the key to getting out when you are supposed to. You'll hear this line said all the time in the pool room. "If I'd just get out when I'm supposed to..." Well, I feel the biggest reason that players don't get out when they are supposed to is they are out of practice with the routine shots. Many players (myself included) have spent time practicing a shot until they get it, then they just assume it will be there whenever they need it, and forget to practice it.

In this thread, I'm going to put several of the routine shots that I practice on the cue table with a brief explanation of the shot execution. If anyone would like to add shots that they feel are valuable, please do so. Also if anyone needs more guidance in how to properly execute the shot, feel free to ask.

The first shot that I'm sharing is a simple stop shot, straight in, and up the rail. It may seem silly that this shot would need to be practiced but I see them rattle all the time!

CueTable Help

I shoot this ball with a tip and a half to two tips below center, depending on distance. My goal in practice is to be able to shoot the cue ball as slowly as possible to get it to stop.

I also want to mention that you can turn this shot into an entire practice session if you want to. Start with stopping the cue ball dead, then draw the ball back two feet, then back to the end rail, so on and so forth. You could also practice stunning the cue ball forward a few inches, or rolling the cue ball forward a foot or so. Varying object ball distance to the pocket and cue ball distance to the object ball will create different levels of difficulty.

Louis Ulrich

This next shot shows a simple cut up the rail with reverse english. The cue balls A and B show examples of different angles that you should set up to practice. I practice different degrees of english and speed to get the cue ball in different position points on the table. As with any other shot, setting up varying degrees of difficulty is important.

Note: Anything that you pracitce on the left side of the table should be given equal attention on the right side of the table.

CueTable Help

Louis Ulrich

This shot, executed with low/right english comes up all the time. Notice how the result will get you position on every ball on the table.

CueTable Help

Louis Ulrich

Again we have the same shot with a little different scenario. Interfering balls keep us from drawing the cue ball for position. In this instance, center/left will take us 3 rails back to the center, giving us position for all balls on the table.

CueTable Help

Louis Ulrich

This simple stun shot should be made without thinking about it. The angle is perfect so you simply need about a center ball hit with enough speed to carry the cue ball 3 rails for shape on the 9.

CueTable Help

Louis Ulrich

This shot is a little tricky because it's almost straight in. By using top/right english and a firm, smooth stroke, getting position on the 9 is relatively simple.

CueTable Help

Louis Ulrich

This is a simple follow shot down to the bottom rail and back up to the center for position. No real difficulty here but you'd be amazed at how often it's missed.

CueTable Help

Louis Ulrich

Just a break to dicuss the shots that are up already. Although most of these shots are simple, they are exactly the shots people shake their heads about in disbelief when they miss them. If you are serious about improving your game, make these shots simple for you and put them into your practice routine.

A note about practice. The purpose of practicing is to is develope your mind and muscle memory for the shot. When you set up a shot to practice it, spend a good amount of time on each angle, as well as the speed and english. For example, if you are practicing a straight in shot and you are drawing your cue ball back 4 feet, then keep doing the same shot over and over until you are very in tuned with what kind of stroke it will take to get the cue ball to come back about 4 feet. After you are comfortable with that stroke, then practice executing a 6 foot draw stroke, and do that shot until you are comfortable with it. I recommend that you do not go back and forth between the 4 ft shot and the 6 ft shot until you are sure that you know the difference between the strokes.

I'll be back with more shots later. In the meantime please add in any shots you want to share and any questions.

Louis Ulrich

This is one of my least favorite positions to find myself in. To get position as shown, you need to shoot this shot with top/left. But there's more to it then that. It's very easy to let the cue ball get away from you if you don't hit the pocket exactly where you are aiming. Also, if you hit the ball too hard or don't get enough follow, you could end up on the other rail by mistake.

Last time I had a chance to practice this shot, I shot it until I made it 100 times on the left side of the table, then 100 times on the right. Not exactly fun but it helps to get the consistent result I'm looking for.

CueTable Help

Louis Ulrich

This one doesn't come up as often as the others but it's a good one to be familiar with. In this position, the shot is top/left. You need to get some speed on the ball because the cue ball reverses off the second rail and it loses some momentum. It's a fun shot when you get it.

CueTable Help

Louis Ulrich

This scenario shows where a player got too straight on the 7 to get to the 9 without coming with a power draw. You can take the frustration out of this situation by mastering the bank on the nine. Unfortunately when you get in this situation your cue ball will be very close to the rail and this is where the shot should be practiced from.

This comes up enough to make it worth knowing well.

CueTable Help

Louis Ulrich

Both of these shots or something similar come up almost every game. The shot on the one ball is just low/left (reverse english) and the shot on the 2 ball is top/right (inside english). The diagram shows position for the center of the table but you can use the same shots to get from one side of the table to the other. These should be no brainers when they come up.

CueTable Help

kevin s

Tennessee
Silver Member
Thanks for posting those practice shots. I believe Richey O asked you what you have been doing as well. I recently went up to Stan's for some help. I only wish I could get a Diamond or a decent table at home to practice on. Thanks for your imput on this forum. My friends know you but I have been away from pool awhile. Barry and I sweat alot of your matches at the Open. Nice shooting by the way. I will be in Atlanta in a couple of weeks if you feel like playing some very cheap practice sets.

Last edited:

JimS

Grandpa & his grand boys.
Silver Member
Louis... I really, I mean REALLY, appreciate you taking the time to pass on to us what we need to improve. It's great that you are willing to use your time to be helpful. You are high on my list of good guys!

iba7467

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Practice Help

Congratulations on all the high tournament finishes. We all appreciate you spending some time trying to improve our games. What is your rate for lessons, by the way?

Louis Ulrich

kevin s said:
Thanks for posting those practice shots. I believe Richey O asked you what you have been doing as well. I recently went up to Stan's for some help. I only wish I could get a Diamond or a decent table at home to practice on. Thanks for your imput on this forum. My friends know you but I have been away from pool awhile. Barry and I sweat alot of your matches at the Open. Nice shooting by the way. I will be in Atlanta in a couple of weeks if you feel like playing some very cheap practice sets.

Thanks Kevin, send me a pm before you head down to Atl and maybe we can hook up and hit some around.

Louis Ulrich

JimS said:
Louis... I really, I mean REALLY, appreciate you taking the time to pass on to us what we need to improve. It's great that you are willing to use your time to be helpful. You are high on my list of good guys!
Hey Jim thanks,

I really do enjoy helping out with those who want to improve. It's sometimes hard to convey what I'm trying to say online but hopefully it's enough information to get the general idea across.

Take care.

Louis Ulrich

iba7467 said:
Congratulations on all the high tournament finishes. We all appreciate you spending some time trying to improve our games. What is your rate for lessons, by the way?

I'll send you a pm

MOJOE

Work Hard, Be Humble. jbk
Silver Member
Louis,

This is the kind of stuff that is golden. It helps wannabe's like myself see what a player of your caliber is thinking. I appreciate the advice and shots to practice.

Best of luck to you in the future, unless you are playing me! LOL

JBK