AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
WPA Standardized Rotation Rules apply.
1634066230394.png

Vahmurka

...and I get all da rolls
Silver Member
Is it 10ball has to go last?? Hate that rule.
Ah, c'mon, that's a good one. Otherwise 10-ball is no different to 9-ball (apart from the break obviously). If a runout is on and there is a combo on the 10, sink it, spot the 10 and proceed with the run. Otherwise just pass that option :)

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ah, c'mon, that's a good one. Otherwise 10-ball is no different to 9-ball (apart from the break obviously). If a runout is on and there is a combo on the 10, sink it, spot the 10 and proceed with the run. Otherwise just pass that option :)
Huh??? Its different if you're playing call-shot. I just think a legal combo/carom to win adds an excitement factor that 10b last does not. DCC's Bigfoot rules are the best imo.

Vahmurka

...and I get all da rolls
Silver Member
Its different if you're playing call-shot. I just think a legal combo/carom to win adds an excitement factor that 10b last does not.

A very telling example is a recent Ohio Open, where, as per event report, "After taking four shots, He had a 3-0 lead". These included two golden breaks (at 10-ball, mind you; lord's sake!), and a 2-10 combo.

I'm not sure that's the way we expect a game of pool to evolve. Any game, I dare to say. But alright, 9-ball is a game with luck factor involved, and I'm fine with that. But let it be the only game of such a kind. Let's enjoy two way shots, lucky rolls and 'riding the 9' there. And let's go call shot anywhere else, plus no early winning combos, be it 8-ball, 10-ball or straight pool :)

skogstokig

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A very telling example is a recent Ohio Open, where, as per event report, "After taking four shots, He had a 3-0 lead". These included two golden breaks (at 10-ball, mind you; lord's sake!), and a 2-10 combo.

I'm not sure that's the way we expect a game of pool to evolve. Any game, I dare to say. But alright, 9-ball is a game with luck factor involved, and I'm fine with that. But let it be the only game of such a kind. Let's enjoy two way shots, lucky rolls and 'riding the 9' there. And let's go call shot anywhere else, plus no early winning combos, be it 8-ball, 10-ball or straight pool :)

10-ball shouldn't count on the break. mario got a 3-0 lead with 4 shots..

gypsy_soul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
10-ball shouldn't count on the break. mario got a 3-0 lead with 4 shots..
Oh because he broke so good and got a few rolls it’s unfair!!!! Lol ….. He put hrs and hrs into his break / game , he deserves whatever he gets …. You are definitely not a player that competes 💯, it’s clear

skogstokig

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Oh because he broke so good and got a few rolls it’s unfair!!!! Lol ….. He put hrs and hrs into his break / game , he deserves whatever he gets …. You are definitely not a player that competes 💯, it’s clear

play 9-ball then

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
This, for my money, is the best version of ten ball. Texas Express ten ball has been the norm at the Bigfoot, and the event's popularity has grown and grown and grown some more. Why fiddle with a winning formula?

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
It's very hard to make the ten ball on the break and you will rarely see it happen. So, I would say that the ten on the break should be a win - a Golden Break if you will. I've always been a proponent of Texas Express style Ten Ball, just like 9-Ball, but after watching a couple of the recent tournaments where it was ten ball last I began to like that option as well. Especially if you could make the ten and continue your run. It just seemed to add an element of skill to the game that appealed to me. With the skill level of the top players today this may be the best way to play the game, but I'm still open for either format.

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
This, for my money, is the best version of ten ball. Texas Express ten ball has been the norm at the Bigfoot, and the event's popularity has grown and grown and grown some more. Why fiddle with a winning formula?
But 10's on the break in any pocket have not been counted as game wins for the past 7 Bigfoot events (2014+).

An interesting thing happened at the Bigfoot event prior to those 7, at Tunica in June of 2013. The 10 ball was made on the break 10 times in the last 2 matches. Fortunately, all 10 of them were spotted, because they all went in one of the foot-rail pockets. The rule for that event was to count them in any of the top 4 pockets but not in the bottom 2 pockets. At the prior Bigfoot event, at DCC in January of 2013, 10's on the break counted in any pocket. Had they used that rule in June of 2013, it would have been quite a travesty.

Last edited:

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
But 10's on the break in any pocket have not been counted as game wins for the past 7 Bigfoot events (2014+).

An interesting thing happened at the Bigfoot event prior to those 7, at Tunica in June of 2013. The 10 ball was made on the break 10 times in the last 2 matches. Fortunately, all 10 of them were spotted, because they all went in one of the foot-rail pockets. The rule for that event was to count them in any of the top 6 pockets but not in the bottom 2 pockets. At the prior Bigfoot event, at DCC in January of 2013, 10's on the break counted in any pocket. Had they used that rule in June of 2013, it would have been quite a travesty.
If it's rack your own, as it was for many years in the Bigfoot, I agree with not counting the ten in the bottom two corners. With a ref racking, I think it should count in any pocket. Not sure what we're getting this year.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member

An interesting thing happened at the Bigfoot event prior to those 7, at Tunica in June of 2013. The 10 ball was made on the break 10 times in the last 2 matches. Fortunately, all 10 of them were spotted, because they all went in one of the foot-rail pockets. The rule for that event was to count them in any of the top 6 pockets but not in the bottom 2 pockets. At the prior Bigfoot event, at DCC in January of 2013, 10's on the break counted in any pocket. Had they used that rule in June of 2013, it would have been quite a travesty.
Your table has eight pockets! I like that, but don't tell Earl! ;)