Slate Thickness

Sambo

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
i was wondering if someone could give me a link to a web site that tells me about the slate and the preferred thickness.

thank you in advance

sambo aka tab

tedkaufman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A friend of mine recently bought a Diamond ProAm table. During the process of purchasing his table he talked to the owner of Diamond (I forget his name, but I think it's Greg.).

They discussed slate thickness and "Greg" told him there was actually only a small difference in price between 1" and 2" thick slate. So Greg tested 2" slate and found that the balls bounced on it too much. He finally settled on 1.25" thickness as the best balance of solidness, weight and playablity.

RBLilly

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
thickness

The BCA recommends 1" Slate or thicker. 1" or thicker is the only slate that is warrantied against warpage. It will also play more true than a thiner piece of slate. Whatever you do, don't go for anything under 1", also 1" tends to be the easiest to find other than 7/8" or 3/4". I went with 1" and solid oak for a table. Everyone that plays over here says it's one of the truest tables they have been on.

Jude Rosenstock

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
tedkaufman said:
A friend of mine recently bought a Diamond ProAm table. During the process of purchasing his table he talked to the owner of Diamond (I forget his name, but I think it's Greg.).

They discussed slate thickness and "Greg" told him there was actually only a small difference in price between 1" and 2" thick slate. So Greg tested 2" slate and found that the balls bounced on it too much. He finally settled on 1.25" thickness as the best balance of solidness, weight and playablity.

Ted is absolutely right. The thicker the slate, the more bounce you get. Older tables typically used thicker slates and you could jump over anything with a full cue. The standard Brunswick Gold Crown uses about 1" which is very difficult to jump on.

Personally, I like 2" slate. I think it has a different sound to it and really gives the table a more solid feel.

9ball_in_MN

speed kills
Silver Member
they dont bounce different on thinkness its a rock for crying out loud all the thickness does is keep it from cracking and the 1 inch is easyer to work with .