dirtypool40

I love this freakin' game
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=320602250295

Link to original thread.

http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?p=2530894#post2530894

This cue is 100% as new. I hit with it briefly when I got it, about a month ago. Great, solid *PING!*.

This is a true, veneered full splice, by Paul Sumrall of SNS cues.

Here's the description from the original thread:

My cue arrived yesterday, and I am IMPRESSED. Pics don't do this thing justice.

This monster is old school incarnate!!

Paul has excellent attention to detail, and from tip to bumper this cue is beautifully executed. I've never tried to go over a cue, bit by bit, for detailed report, but I will try.

The old school paper micarta ferrules are a cool putty color, and Paul was right,his technique leaves no glue line. Both shafts are a full 13.0mm and have what I think Paul called his "parabolic" taper. It's not a long, predator / smoochy type taper, but it's not a straight cone, billiard taper either. Something in the middle, playable and comfortable, but still firm.

Even without an insert the LIGHTER of the two shafts weighs 4.0 ounces!!! The heavier, darker shaft weighs 4.3 ounces!!! With a swoopy taper and no insert!!! :grin:

Butt 15.5 ounces

Shaft #1 - 4.0

Shaft #2 - 4.3

The ivory joint (my first) is perfect, with some nice grain to it. It is "threaded on" and there is a through hole of about 1/2" where you can see the forearm wood around the pin.

The forearm is, as requested, of old, hard, ugly "baseball bat" maple. Balabushka thought that hit best, and although you don;t care, so do I. The forearm does have some figure in it, some subtle curls that shine under table lights, but mostly it's a straight grain spear.

The points are of ebony. Not perfect, black plastic looking ebony, but really dark brown, old school ebony with some minor striping. Again, this is as requested. The theme in general was NOT perfect, but truly old school, as if I had found a nice ebony titlist and asked Paul (or Herman Rambow) to convert it for me.

That would mandate titlist veneers of course, and Paul did them perfectly. This is a TRUE full splice, and the points are sharp and the tips are very close to even. I would estimate less than 1/8" between tallest and shortest. Very nice, traditional, and again old school. Paul has laser engraved SUMRALL in one of the points, it's how he's marking this year's creations.

Paul "insisted" on a wrap from Tiger products. I have had 2-3 knowledgeable cue makers tell me the Tiger product was the best, most consistent, but this is the first one I have ever had. We looked over some color choices, and Paul said we just had to try the elephant print.

I was dubious, but I gotta admit, it does "look right" and he did an excellent job on it. You really do have to look for the seam, and the pattern is "just right" as far as tackiness and grip.

The butt, well it's a simple, old school, full splice, so the butt is simple, and an extension of the point wood. There's only 3" or so from the bottom of the wrap to the end of the cue. I don't need room for fancy gingerbread inlays, this is a PLAYING cue, and I like the wrap moved back that extra inch.

At the bottom, instead of the ever popular "Hoppe Ring" I went with a "Rambow" style, matching veneer stack, and a 1/2" ivory buttcap. Paul has his logo'd S&S "Superman" bumper in there.

Overall, I am just really happy and impressed with both Paul's work, and what a pleasure it was to work WITH him. He LOVES to play pool, LOVES pool players, and *GASP* actually listens to you, trying to figure out what YOU want.

There's always some trepidation when you send drawings off and try to describe your vision through emails and phone calls. Well Paul listened, give his own EXPERT input where needed, and when solicited and I ended up with a GORGEOUS cue.

Paul likes to build cues for PLAYERS, not "safe queens". His cues are like musical instruments, and were meant to be PLAYED with.

This build took a few MONTHS, not YEARS, and Paul was in touch and easy to reach throughout the process. :thumbup:

Paul is one of the very few cue makers building true full splice cues, in a reasonable time frame, at a price an enthusiast player can afford.

I am glad I got my first, and he'll get more orders from me.

Looking forward to buying him a beer on his next trip to Florida.

*SIGH*

it kills me to do this, but in the month I've had this gorgeous cue, I hit with it ONCE.

I just started Law School and as anyone will tell you, that'll pretty much take over your life. I haven't hit a ball since a few days before orientation, and it's not looking like I will get to any time soon.

Like most students, I'm broke, and simply need the $$ for silly things like rent, more than I can justify a brand new gorgeous cue I never get to play with.

Really hoping this goes to a player. PM or email with serious offers. dirtypool40@yahoo.com

Attachments

• 100_1198.jpeg
    100_1198.jpeg
    99.1 KB · Views: 1,081
  • os 3.jpg
    os 3.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 1,073
Last edited:

fcee06

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Say it aint so!!

Man that is a great looking cue. It looks like a monster player. Im sorry to see you selling it, but understand the reason to do so. Lil bump for a first class guy. Someone take this monster off of his hands now!!

Frank Cherry

VonRhett

Friends Call Me "von"
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
55   0   0
How about a price??

The "make an offer" thing rarely works here.

Here that sucking sound? That's the market. Put a reasonable price and you should get some action.

Looks like a great cue!

-von

dirtypool40

Silver Member
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
Desperate times and all that. :(

Reserve is set at about half what it would cost from Paul. I hate to do it, but I am busted and student loans are dragging in too slow for bills...

Last edited:

dirtypool40

Silver Member
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
I lost the PM, so I am posting the info here.

Someone asked if it had a weight bolt.

I just pulled the bumper, there is NO weight bolt.

dirtypool40

Silver Member
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
newly listed with "lowered for desperation" reserve.

One of you guys grab it before it goes to a non-player who doesn't appreciate it and just uses it as a break cue while he plays with his budweiser cue with the screw on tip. :frown:

Last edited:

dirtypool40

Silver Member
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
I have had several PM's about price.

I listed on FLEABAY, with the reserve set at about half what it's worth.

Last edited:

fcee06

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Wow!

My friend I just knew someone would be glad to relieve you of that beautiful player. I know someone out there will help out one of the most honest and nicest guys on AZ billiards. This is a class act seller of this nice cue. Good luck my friend. I hope you get it sold soon.

FC

dirtypool40

Silver Member
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
My friend I just knew someone would be glad to relieve you of that beautiful player. I know someone out there will help out one of the most honest and nicest guys on AZ billiards. This is a class act seller of this nice cue. Good luck my friend. I hope you get it sold soon.

FC

Thanks Frank. I appreciate it.

Times are tough, but I'll be back. This is a gorgeous cue, and DESERVES to be played with instead of collecting dust in my closet the next 3-4 years.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=320602250295

dirtypool40

Silver Member
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
This thing WILL go for half price, one of you guys snap it up before the Fleabay bangers gets it.

PLEASE!!!

cfrandy

AKA: The Road Runner
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
77   0   0
Just post the reserve price and maybe someone will jump on it. NOBODY wants to play guessing games!
IMHO, if you are going to promote a Ebay item on AZ, you should be offering an incentive for Azers...otherwise it just doesn't seem right bumping sellers who are selling their items here! j/s