Table in attached garage?

Darkridder

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hey guys, still house hunting.

Would a table in an attached garage be a bad idea?

Non heated or heated?

SC02GTP

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That depends on the climate. If you are in an area with 4 distinct seasons and wide temp swings, I would not put a table in the garage. The wood, clue, felt, and, rails will change with the temp swings..ie expand and contract.

It might be a little nippy hitting balls in zero degree weather. Too hot to hit balls in 100 + temps. Your car would benefit way more in that space.

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Nothing wrong with building a poolroom in your garage. You have to insulate and make it just like any other room in your house, with heat and A/C and a dehumidifier. In my travels around the country teaching I have seen MANY people's homes with their poolroom built into the garage.

Scott Lee
http://poolknowledge.com

westcoast

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have a bar table in my garage and I'm very happy I have it. However, I live in Southern California where the temperature rarely gets below 50 degrees

3andstop

Focus
Silver Member
My suggestion to you would be to gain a bit of information regarding installing steel reinforcement plates in order to remove a lally column. It might be as simple as that to make the difference between being able to fit a 9' table and not. Considering this option, opens up lots of housing options you may be discounting.

Contact an engineer firm, or builder that has done this before if you have concerns.

I put one in my basement on my own. Not that hard to do. Now I think an atom bomb could go off and that beam might be the only thing left. :D

here's a pic. In this pic, there is a steel plate on both sides and the bolt pattern is an up and down "V" formation that provides additional help to prevent any possible sag.

Attachments

• beam1c.JPG
    beam1c.JPG
    83 KB · Views: 526
Last edited:

Cuebuddy

Mini cues
Silver Member
Remember most garage slabs are sloped about 2% for drainage unless there is a central floor drain. The table can certainly be leveled but one side or end will be higher then the other. Usually not too big a deal.

SJDinPHX

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Nothing wrong with building a poolroom in your garage. You have to insulate and make it just like any other room in your house, with heat and A/C and a dehumidifier. In my travels around the country teaching I have seen MANY people's homes with their poolroom built into the garage.

Scott Lee
http://poolknowledge.com

Had to share my two car garage 'man cave', with a washer,dryer, water heater, etc...Its a little crowded cuz I also have my computer, bar, TV, tools, etc, plus tons of storage, but I have plenty of seating, and room to shoot all around...;)

View attachment 367305
View attachment 367306
View attachment 367308

Ak Guy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Mine in garage.

I have had a 9' table in my 28x36 foot garage since October. I have in floor heat and live in Alaska. If we ever get any snow to melt off on the floor I would squeegee excess out the door and run a dehumidifier and turn on a small fan driven electric heater by the table. I also put a 6' perimeter of those 2x2 foot carpet squares around the table. So far all is well.

oldgame

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I live in Ohio and have a table in my garage for over 15 years. I use it 3 seasons out of the year. It's the ugliest table around but the rails and felt are perfect. Plays better than most tables I shoot in league.

Sedog

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I live in the Florida panhandle and have a pool table in the garage that is not heated or cooled. That being said, I have a space heater for cold days and installed a window ac for a short time. It took too long to cool the area. Now I just use a fan and play in the mornings (retired). See my avatar. No problems for the past five years.

Woof Biscuit

and gravy
Silver Member
I live in SE Florida (hot and humid). I have a 9' Diamond in my garage. I insulated the door, put down some foam flooring and ran a duct from the central AC in there. It's awesome! I haven't had any issues whatsoever.

cardit

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I live in Southeast Florida, too, and have a GCIII in my garage, sharing washer/dryer space. No need for a shortie cue at all. Simonis 860 and Diamond cushions...humidity has never been a problem. Sure beats having no table!

Mike
cardit

SouthernDraw

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hey guys, still house hunting.

Would a table in an attached garage be a bad idea?

Non heated or heated?
To me, a pool table anywhere, is a good idea! Like Scott said, do the necessary arrangements to the garage and it will be ok. But, my one suggestion is to look for a home with a basement. Insulate with sound deadening materials and then wife isn't pissed because she has to warm her car on cold mornings or hot afternoons. Remember, #1 rule to pool players, if mom ain't happy, ain't nobody happy (said with my southern twang).

Ih82luz

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My table is in my Garage Mahal.

I live in central Indiana. I have a hard wired electric heater, a speckled epoxy floor, custom garage cabinets, four sets of LED track lights, kegerator, smoke eater, 50" flat screen, screen for when my garage door is up during the spring-fall. It's the best.

Just help the little lady during the winter and scrape her windshield and start her car before she leaves for work and you'll have no problems. And most of your buddies will be loving it too.