Tex Zimmerman

DEGAMO88

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
We know very little about this cuemaker from the bay area. I was wondering if anyone's heard of, or even seen his cues. His name is briefly mentioned in the 3rd edition of the Blue Book under Robinson cues.

ffezzo

Zimmerman

Not much information is available about Tex. He was associated with Harvey Martin, and his cues are similar to Harvey's. Every Zimmerman cue I have seen (I owned one) was solid bird's eye maple, ivory joint, ivory butt plate and black leather wrap. Tex co-owned Whitehead and Zimmerman billiard supply in San Francisco. I believe the store was on 10th Street just south of Market. I saw an ad for a Zimmerman cue available at Buffalo Billiards in Rohnert Park. I hope I was successful in attaching a pic of it to this post.

Attachments

• zimmerman-pool-stick.jpg
    zimmerman-pool-stick.jpg
    9.8 KB · Views: 1,072
Last edited:

yubber

Registered
Hi

Here are some pics of a Zimmerman cue I got on Ebay years ago. I think the cue shown above from Baffalo Billiards was also for sale on Chalkers last year for $3000.
I hope the pics show, I dont know what Im doing.

Alan

Attachments

• Cue1.jpg
    Cue1.jpg
    72.4 KB · Views: 991
  • Cue4.jpg
    Cue4.jpg
    35.2 KB · Views: 972
  • Cue5.jpg
    Cue5.jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 995

Liam

I have a few of his sticks. My custom one was made in 1962 with a maple shaft, birdseye maple butt, pigskin grip, and ivory butt place, joint, and ferrule. It cost me $20. and is still straight as a die.

Joe Bachelor, a former trick shot pro, and local champ from New York played with a Rambow given him by Mosconi and he said he could play with my Zimmerman.

Long after his death, I also bought 3 house cues Tex put ivory joints in for $10. apiece. I splashed around another ten for a new tip for the 18 oz. one and it plays just fine.

Tex was also the last free hand ivory ball turner in the country.

He had a workshop in his home on Laidley St. in San Francisco and would put untrue billiard balls in a cup on his lathe, brace his hand, and take down only the high spots with a sharp wood chisel. The ivory shavings felt like crepe paper they were so thin.

Liam

Zimmerman cues

I believe Ronnie Allen won the 1962 one pocket tournament at Cochran's in San Francisco with a Zimmerman. I know he had one at about that time. He's another story. The Muhammed Ali of pool.

Kobachi

Scarred but Smarter
Wow!

I must say great first post Liam, I'm betting you have a few more stories in the memory bank that we would love to hear sometime. Thanks for sharing your information on a not so mentioned cuemaker. :thumbup:

Kevin

Hubbahubby123

I bought this one eBay and have been told by several people that they believed it was a Zimmerman cue. All of the white is indeed Ivory. I had it refinished by

Attachments

• 5D4007B9-46E4-4569-8A14-D4F460E99A73.jpeg
    5D4007B9-46E4-4569-8A14-D4F460E99A73.jpeg
    117.3 KB · Views: 56
  • B91E68AF-63BA-40C0-8C74-DDE52773CBF3.jpeg
    B91E68AF-63BA-40C0-8C74-DDE52773CBF3.jpeg
    155 KB · Views: 57
  • 63E50B18-AC21-4DB4-8F29-AB4AB869CF8D.jpeg
    63E50B18-AC21-4DB4-8F29-AB4AB869CF8D.jpeg
    163.1 KB · Views: 57