The distant rumblings and ramblings of a pool nut.

gregcantrall

Center Ball
Silver Member
During the interogation process I was taken to an office er that showed me his uh sacred card, that means this is an assessment not part of the training. Then gave an evaluation. Can't remember where I finished but know I Survived without calling my mother a whore, or any similar statement that was secured from Cadet. Only to be broadcast continue all night.

boogieman

It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that ping.
Note to self so I don't forget: If all else fails, get low on sighting. Think rifle sights consisting of OB and pocket. Hands on knees and squat.

Stupid leg/back pain. Not as bad but still bad at times. It destroys my ability to sight while standing and walk to shot line. Bending at the knees and getting head low to table, sight OB into where it goes into the pocket. Then stand up tall. Walk to shot line.

I don't know if it's just the stretching aspect or rising from low to high keeps center, but when stance is unreliable this seems to give needed calibration. Vertical must be calibrated before shooting. If vertical isn't vertical, the shot's F$*#ed.

gregcantrall

Center Ball
Silver Member
Definitely story time. Probably a rerun.😉
Started on a Friday night. Somewhere between Seattle and Federal Way. The party carried on till the next day. I passed out in the back of our mid '70's Vega wagon. I awoke to the 11 AM sun. The Vega was backed in to the parking spot in front of the double main door. I was drooling. I composed myself and walked in the door, knowing everyone had seen me at my best.🤪😉🤷. So a tomato beer Please. Oh my head.
The Rainbow bread driver brought in some buns. I had set the table. The snare caught him and he engaged me for $20 a game. A quick$60 that paid for Friday night. 🤷

gregcantrall

Center Ball
Silver Member
Rambling in
I will take it in the shin
Rather than on the chen

How did I get here?
It does seem queer?
I will survive as I have no fear.

Yes, thought I walk through the valley of the shadow of death. I fear no evil! Because I am the Meanest MF'er in the valley.

gregcantrall

Center Ball
Silver Member
Oh shit... forgot the story already.
Strictly medical officer, uh your honor.
We play to have fun, it's easier to have fun when we win.
If I can perform to the best of my ability to God and my country.,.
A big part of the fun not gun factor. Even if I use my rifle training. Open sight m-16 at 100 yards. 98/100. Required for badge. Got it first try.
So yes imagine an fun shot keep me amused.

gregcantrall

Center Ball
Silver Member
I think getting run over by a go-kart saved my life. 50 years later had the left turn car about to run over me. I was in a side skid . Had to right the motorcycle . I did and heard I was launched 12 feet up with Carry about 15 feet. Landing half on the sidewalk. No helmet.
I remember looking up at the incoming bumper and know I was at the door of death.
I believe. Whew, just not sure why I was sent back.😉🤷

gregcantrall

Center Ball
Silver Member
There have been times that I had to review my feelings of compassion. When in a tournament I played someone that I knew need money.
The compassion ate thinking is lay down my best. If they can't win against me they need to find another means of support.🤷

sammylane12

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The train is at the station. Now boarding for pool town. Remember to check your baggage at the door. The game's on, stretch your legs and relax for a bit. You've earned it after carrying those bags over the platform. Fair warning, different play styles may get nothing from this soliloquy. I encourage you to speak your own.

The harder I play, the more I try to improve, the more I burn good into my game, the more frustrated I become. Am I worse than last month? Where are the rewards of the toil? The more I stray to odd teachings, the more knowledge is learned. Careful now, don't get lost in the obscure! Where is the forest? Away from me you annoying trees! Magic pill, where are you? Oh, you've already been consumed?!

In this moment I am at my best, I am holding the cue loosely. So loosely. L o o s e. Marinate on that word for a few more seconds... l o o s e ... Loose so it might slip in my fingers on a shot. "BAD! YOU MUST CONTROL!" screams the inner monologue (never mind all results were perfection, BEGONE evidence!). Let my cue feel the mass of cueball, not my hand. The cue is encircled by my thumb, but not squeezed by my thumb. The cue rests on my second set of finger "flats." One, two, three, or four flats? Sure, feel it, not think it. I feel as if I'm rolling a robin's egg around in my hand without dropping it. The only thing holding the egg from certain concrete doom is my hand's back and forth movement and gravity (let that cue slide a bit until it's jussst right). DISASTER will strike the egg at any moment! What the hell head?! Piss off! Does the egg fall? It doesn't. I'm rocking the egg gently to sleep. Don't worry little egg, you're safe with me! Just snuggle up softly to a comfortable spot and dream a dream that only eggs can dream. When I hold the cue loosely, I hear "ping." Ping, pat, pat ping! How sweet a resonation to the ear.

Must I grip tightly now? To ping, I must punch if I wish the sound. Control. Finesse. I see the beautiful white sphere gently float to perfect shape? Ohh, that was pretty! Finesse and control are shot with strength and determination at times, though just as often not. A time and season for everything. Listen closely... pat, pat, ping! ping! ping! Pats are susurration, strategy. Bide my time. It's not time. Pat. Not yet. Pat. Hmm... pat. It's time!!! Ping. Ping. Ping. Ping! Huh? Where did the balls go? Was that a two pack? When did that happen? I guess I'm not worse than before! All this feeling and hearing and I forgot to play pool! Ah there's the forest. That magic pill? Phooey. Well, I guess the set is over, time to shake hands.

Now I'm playing good, I've caught a gear! I look to see what part of the pocket for OB. *blink There you go OB, your new home! I now get down on the shot, eyes to the OB. Not "aiming," not locking in pinpoints, ticks, fractions, reflections, refractions, divisions, deductions or reductions. Phooey. Be clear mind. Feel. Feel that sweet resonance. Those sweet vibrations. Remember the pocket you looked at 10 seconds ago? Oh dang, I forgot about that thing! No need to look, it's not moved. Put the ball there okay? Ping! Clunk thunk. Rumble. Clack.

Happy pings and clacks my friends.
You will get over it. After a time you are happy just to not be getting worse. It is a place you are at in your life, it won`t last forever.

gregcantrall

Center Ball
Silver Member
Got the clouds rumbling and remind me....be careful.
George Carlin on the 10 Commandments. Seems like a good Sunday topic.
Our Scotch Double commandment was, never apologize.
What a workout yesterday. Has me sitting at practice time.😉 9 hours of tournament time. Has this Old man feeling beat up.

boogieman

The following is a story of BIG DUMB:

Been a while since I posted. About 3 weeks ago we were playing in my basement. We had been imbibing a bit and one of my buddies handed me some Jim Beam. Well... I took a good swig, no bubbles but it was a good swallow. I sure didn't want any but it had been so long since I tasted it I figured why not. We get a call from another buddy about coming and playing at his shop. Well, there was a DD so we rode across town to the shop. About this time the Jim (I usually call it James Beam as we're not on a first name basis and he's not too friendly) started kicking in a bit. The buddy who owns the shop gave me a sip of moonshine. I don't usually drink much so I just took a sip.

I had 3 folks to wait through until my turn. I try to drink some water and sober up a bit before I'm up. Motor skills were not great would be an understatement. Not sloppy drunk, but not in any shape to play good pool. Well, my turn finally comes up and the guy I'm playing with goes to hand me ball in hand and drops it off the rail, CB hits the floor and I go down quick to grab it... Uh oh, too fast with impaired coordination. I fall forward onto my hands and knees. No big deal, I caught myself. Won't hear the end of this, hear the giggles. I go to stand up and my pant leg gets somehow caught between my crocs and my foot, causes me to fall backwards onto a wooden hand held tool chest. The handle was 1 1/4" or 1 1/2" wooden dowel. That dowel broke over my tailbone. o_O

Geesh. One buddy freaks out and wants to help me up. I just hand him my cue (which didn't take damage, I kept it from hitting concrete, gotta have priorities) and I got up. I said something to the effect of, gotta watch when those balls are bouncing on the floor, they move much slower while sitting on the table.

Well, anyway I made an ass of myself but the real crazy thing, my hip/leg problem was entirely gone. That wooden dowel must have knocked whatever back in. If I feel a bit of pain I'm now just trying to keep my legs straight and touch my toes with my closed fists. Great stretch. James is no friend of mine, will stick to iced tea!

boogieman

So since the hip/leg is better my stance has improved considerably. I'm now a threat to get out. I might not do it all the time, but the threat is there.

Been doing something a bit different. Keeping knees locked, choking up on the stick more and pivoting rather than trying to get down super far. Some shots I get down on, but others I can't aim them right. Perfect sighting, perfect stance makes the shots much easier. Can't really describe it that well, but stance is rock solid, stroking great with body clearance, and the ring finger doesn't lie.

Being up a bit higher seems to be giving me a great look at the balls. Much easier to see what straight is. I do get down a bit lower on larger tables, but on 7' I find the more upright stance lets me navigate clusters better. I don't know, just kind of a journal entry.

I'm super happy the leg/hip pain is pretty much gone away. Took that spill in the above post and woke up the next day feeling great. Progress has been very rapid in the last couple weeks now that I can actually get a stance without feeling like I'm standing in icy fire.

gregcantrall

Center Ball
Silver Member
The following is a story of BIG DUMB:

Been a while since I posted. About 3 weeks ago we were playing in my basement. We had been imbibing a bit and one of my buddies handed me some Jim Beam. Well... I took a good swig, no bubbles but it was a good swallow. I sure didn't want any but it had been so long since I tasted it I figured why not. We get a call from another buddy about coming and playing at his shop. Well, there was a DD so we rode across town to the shop. About this time the Jim (I usually call it James Beam as we're not on a first name basis and he's not too friendly) started kicking in a bit. The buddy who owns the shop gave me a sip of moonshine. I don't usually drink much so I just took a sip.

I had 3 folks to wait through until my turn. I try to drink some water and sober up a bit before I'm up. Motor skills were not great would be an understatement. Not sloppy drunk, but not in any shape to play good pool. Well, my turn finally comes up and the guy I'm playing with goes to hand me ball in hand and drops it off the rail, CB hits the floor and I go down quick to grab it... Uh oh, too fast with impaired coordination. I fall forward onto my hands and knees. No big deal, I caught myself. Won't hear the end of this, hear the giggles. I go to stand up and my pant leg gets somehow caught between my crocs and my foot, causes me to fall backwards onto a wooden hand held tool chest. The handle was 1 1/4" or 1 1/2" wooden dowel. That dowel broke over my tailbone. o_O

Geesh. One buddy freaks out and wants to help me up. I just hand him my cue (which didn't take damage, I kept it from hitting concrete, gotta have priorities) and I got up. I said something to the effect of, gotta watch when those balls are bouncing on the floor, they move much slower while sitting on the table.

Well, anyway I made an ass of myself but the real crazy thing, my hip/leg problem was entirely gone. That wooden dowel must have knocked whatever back in. If I feel a bit of pain I'm now just trying to keep my legs straight and touch my toes with my closed fists. Great stretch. James is no friend of mine, will stick to iced tea!
I never had a go around with James but Jack Daniels took me to the ground a time or two. 😉

boogieman

Something I have noticed is my speed control is better with it in charge. Something I have generally left to the subconscious. I have amazed my self with the cue ball control at times. 🤷🤔
Yes! Since reading about it in your practice thread and watching the Barry Stark video, I've been using it. It's kind of eerie how well the CB behaves. I don't really think about speed control much but it seems to work itself out. Also seems to make odd grip hand issues like cue/wrist twisting just not happen. I really love having this little trick in the toolbox and as part of my PSR.

I always find it amusing when after seeing perfect CB position on a few shots, my opponent will go sit down or try to distract themselves by looking at the tv or talking to a team mate. Nobody want to see their opponent shoot 6 stop shots in a row. 😅

gregcantrall

Center Ball
Silver Member
Humility:
As a Cadet we were required to jump from the 10 meter diving platform. I asked to go first. As I didn't want to possibly see someone splat, then go 🤷 I did ok with just a little tendency towards the forced enema .😉
In spring baseball practice practice practice there were times the weather sent us into the field house. We could throw and catch in the diving and swimming pools bleachers. While a 16 year old Girl practice dive for the Olympics.

gregcantrall

Center Ball
Silver Member
A friend. 6 foot Gopher snake. He and I got along fine. The first thing I saw was his tail, so I didn't bother him. He mascarde as Rattlesnake quite well. Even has a hiss that sounds like rattle.
IMG_20220803_102309624_HDR.jpg