The Impossible One Railer

DeadStick

i like turtles
Gold Member
Silver Member
I think your cut shot is WAY harder. What do you think now that you made both?
Which one - the one with the OB next to the side pocket, or the OB on the spot? I'm guessing OB next to side pocket is hardest, since it has a further distance to travel to the pocket.

Not that it matters, cause I agree both are harder, requiring a far thinner cut with max english. And perhaps dirty balls, which is tough for me to do on my home table. But I do have some shredded balls. 🤔

Last edited:

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I think your cut shot is WAY harder. What do you think now that you made both?
The cut off the spot requires dirty balls. The one pocket bank (this thread) that I made was with relatively clean balls but I think the geometry will show that the cut angle is well under 90 degrees. The Vernon Elliot cross-side as in Joe Tucker's amazing series also requires dirty balls. Sometimes the balls get that dirty/sticky just from play but they need to be helped if you start with clean equipment.

Doug

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Here is Joe explaining the shot. He did not intentionally make the balls chalkier.

Vernon was a friend of mine. Shortly before his stroke he would have me place the object ball on the cushion for his "impossible" cross side bank. There was two other "impossible" bank shots he showed me that he won a lot of money betting he could make them. He told me of the time he won $500 from Eddie Taylor on the cross side bank. After his stroke and while he was in his wheelchair, I picked him up at his house and took him to a 9 ball tournament. Raphael Martinez was there and I showed him the bank shot and said he thought he could make it. After 2 hours he had come close but never made it. I was told that he continued shooting the shot until he made it one time. Raphael is one of the greatest players ever too! Vernon not only made proposition shots. He beat every champion player in his era gambling at all games except straight pool. Wasn't enough money to be made at that game he said.

book collector

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I spent about 15 minutes today at the shot.

9-foot Gold Crown, medium-slow cloth, Aramith Tournament balls recently cleaned, Taom V10. I moved the cue ball out where I could bridge more easily, but you can see that my stick is over the pocket.

The first shot is an overcut.

I'd like to point out that I'm 76 years old, my left arm doesn't work any more except to make a bridge, my right arm is down to about 50% power and wanders back and forth on its own, my eyes are filled with floaters, and overall my form is just like the woman in the background. You people ought to be able to do as well as I do.

A pool player stated to me that this shot can be one railed to the same pocket where the cue ball is placed in the corner pocket … He stated he saw a guy do it like it was nothing …. I told him the shot was impossibe… Please let me know your thoughts ….
After 65 years of pool , I am a believer that any shot imaginable ,is possible, it is just a matter of how many tries it takes.

alphadog

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'd like to point out that I'm 76 years old, my left arm doesn't work any more except to make a bridge, my right arm is down to about 50% power and wanders back and forth on its own, my eyes are filled with floaters, and overall my form is just like the woman in the background. You people ought to be able to do as well as I do.
Bob I believe you are in San Francisco , so why would you assume that is a woman in the background?😉😁😅

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
A pool player stated to me that this shot can be one railed to the same pocket where the cue ball is placed in the corner pocket … He stated he saw a guy do it like it was nothing …. I told him the shot was impossibe… Please let me know your thoughts ….

Possible. Also possible for a group of guys to try all evening without making on a given table.

Hu

straightline

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Gotta say all the ones that go look like double kisses. I'm thinking they have to be. Sorry if this is understood.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
After 65 years of pool , I am a believer that any shot imaginable ,is possible, it is just a matter of how many tries it takes.
I once made four kick shots in a row straight into the pocket on balls that were out on the table, not close to the pocket. This happened during one game of 9-Ball. Only my opponent and one lone spectator saw it, along with me. I wanted to tell the world, but no one seemed to care.

My experience is that anything you can imagine on the table can be made. I wish I had a video of all the circus shots I pulled off, often just for fun and giggles. Efren made crazy shots almost every time he played One Pocket.

straightline

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Amazing! Notice he shot the cue ball into the rail, changing the angle at which it hits the object ball. Therein lies the secret.
That would allow the ball to bend, allowing maybe a farside hit?
Would also add more spin and increase the propensity for a nearside double kiss?

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
I once made four kick shots in a row straight into the pocket on balls that were out on the table, not close to the pocket. This happened during one game of 9-Ball. Only my opponent and one lone spectator saw it, along with me. I wanted to tell the world, but no one seemed to care.

My experience is that anything you can imagine on the table can be made. I wish I had a video of all the circus shots I pulled off, often just for fun and giggles. Efren made crazy shots almost every time he played One Pocket.

I did almost the same closing out a practice session in a pub. Two full table banks followed by two full table kicks. While the first two balls were fairly close to a corner pocket they had to be banked to the other end of the table. The first kick came off of the end rail to hit an object ball into the far corner pocket. The final kick was almost the same. I didn't really need to kick that one but I was closing out the session strong so what the hell! If anybody saw it, it was only the bartender/counterman. Kinda like pissing in your pants when you are wearing dark pants, gave me a warm feeling but nobody else noticed!

Hu

Doug

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Vernon and I was at a local room and he was showing me some of his shots. This was about a year before his physically disabling stroke, which was long after his prime years of hustling. I would place the balls and he would shoot them. It's interesting to hear all the analysis of what he was doing and how he was accomplishing making such unbelievable shots. That there had to be a trick, etc. Every human can and has made unbelievable shots and, of course the more highly skilled players, make them at a higher percentage rate. But, few, if any, any could/can make them withe frequency that Vernon did. On the other hand, there was many that argue Vernon wasn't human.....and they're close to the truth!