Thoughts on Playing the DCC

BigDaddyICE

Registered
Apologize ahead if this has come up before on this board. Wanting some feed back on playing the Derby. I play in an APA league, but it is a goal of mine to play in the Derby. I know that at this point that I have no shot at winning (yet), but the experience of playing it would be the greatest The problem is it's considered a Professional event and in my area if you Play in a professional event you can no longer play in the leagues. I know as of right now I am only a four so save my money right...Wait til your better. The experience is what I am looking for right now. Maybe that is the problem I want everything right now, but who knows when my time will be up and I can't even make the event.

Would like to play, but right now I don't want to give up the leagues either.

Thanks for letting rant. Just another way for the man to keep me down....haha

BigDaddyIce

T

Timberly

BigDaddyICE said:
Apologize ahead if this has come up before on this board. Wanting some feed back on playing the Derby. I play in an APA league, but it is a goal of mine to play in the Derby. I know that at this point that I have no shot at winning (yet), but the experience of playing it would be the greatest The problem is it's considered a Professional event and in my area if you Play in a professional event you can no longer play in the leagues. I know as of right now I am only a four so save my money right...Wait til your better. The experience is what I am looking for right now. Maybe that is the problem I want everything right now, but who knows when my time will be up and I can't even make the event.

BigDaddyIce
The DCC is not a pro event. Unless something changed, the UPA is still the "legally recognized governing body" of men's pro pool or something to that effect. If you joined the UPA and put one of their stickers on your shirt to play in an event... you would forfeit your amateur status as far as the APA is concerned. (This is the way it was explained to me. Someone please correct me if I'm incorrect.)

I talked with Greg Sullivan the DCC promoter last month at an Expo and in this conversation he stated that this tournament was not started as being a pro event and it's still not a pro event. It's a tournament for everyone... small entry fee, decent pay outs (Pre IPT), and an action setting reminiscent of Johnston City. This tournament was started for the players... of all levels, not just the pros. Having the pros there ended up being an added bonus. It's one of the few places that anyone can play a pro and it only cost them the nominal entry fee.

Most places (US Open for instance) charge $500 entry fee... some charge a little less but you would have to put that UPA sticker on. ;)

As a safety net, you would be best off calling your local APA office. While it's not "recognized" as a pro tournament in most circles, everyone has different opinions and you need to make sure that the APA doesn't have a different opinion.

As for your skill level... Don't let that deter you... get out there, enjoy yourself and the experience. When you're up against a great player, revel in it, watch them, and learn. Pool is in the IPT's world now... more money and quite possibly more restrictions on players and what they're allowed to play in or what they'll even choose to play in. Go play against them now and enjoy it while you can. :)

BigDaddyICE

Registered
Thanks a lot for the information. I will continue to look into this and make the call to the local APA office to see what they say as well. Right now I am just getting a lot of here say. That and everyone has been telling me that it is a pro tournament. I will keep plugging away and working on my game.

Timberly that last paragraph says it all for me.

Thanks again.

RTaylor692

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
BigDaddyIce, I too am just wanting to play in it for the experience. I don't even play in any leagues right now and haven't for a number of years. My work schedule(2nd shift) just doesn't allow it. I am going to play even if I don't win a game, let alone a match. I plan on making the trip from Dayton, so if you decide you would like to attend, maybe we could meet up and travel together.

Williebetmore

Member, .25% Club
Silver Member
BigDaddyICE said:

BigDaddyIce

BigD,
There is another alternative. We will have one, and maybe 2 tables in the AZB room at DCC 2007. You could always just come to watch the tournament, and then play in the AZB room. There will plenty of AZB'ers to match up with (hopefully one table for "stakes" games, another for open play for fun) who are playing in the tournament, and you can assess your level to see if you are ready "for the big time." Just a thought.

speedy5963

speedy5963
Silver Member
Playing

I was also considering playing in the 9 ball event for the experience and fun. A little leary but at the same time you have to jump in sometime and see what it is like to go forward I think?