To all the Mike Dechaine Nay-Sayers.

robsnotes4u

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Jennie;

I agree with this.

It's no longer news that Mark Wilson looked at the mess Team USA was in and how poorly (unsportsmanlike) some behaved during their matches and so he decided he was going to change that.

One thing that I wonder about though is could Mark, as a captain (coach) have challenged himself a little and worked with Mike to see if they could make it work. You see this sort of thing happen, often with great results, in other sports.

Mark decided to go with the exclusion option.

I don't recall in which publication it was but after being named captain for Team USA, and well before announcing his 8 picks, Mark said without specifically naming Mike, and I'm paraphrasing here; 'don't come running to me saying you won the Ocean State Championship'.

So, obviously, Mark had his mind made up about Mike right out of the gate.

For me, it all boils down to whether or not you believe a potential team member who is clearly talented enough to be on the team, might be too much of a distraction or disruption to team mates. That the risk of them being on board outweighs the benefit they could provide.

Mark made his call.

I love the raw emotion of Mosconi Cup....

and players who are not devoid of emotion.

and I respect good sportsmanship, too. :wink:

but remember, it's like a freakin' war on that stage along with major pressure... :cool: :eek:

I will never not root for Team USA.

best,
brian kc

That is a good point, unfortunately unlike other sports that have coaches, Mark doesn't get to spend enough time with the players.

I will add to words. Personal Responsibility.

I don't believe that having a charismatic personality should be a requisite for a pro player to be considered for any pool competition.

We have a lady who works with us who is cantankerous, stays by herself, never says good morning, just a hermit with a bad attitude. Yet, this lady can produce high-quality work and is one of the best I've seen in my industry. If I had to pick somebody to be on my team to do a job, it would be her.

Pro pool players are not paid enough to be ambassadors. They're struggling to keep on keeping on in a fractured industry.

Sure, we all have our favorites and those we don't care for, but it should *not* enter into the discussion about who should be in which competition. IMO, it should be based on capabilities, not how nice a person is.

Correct. Pool isn't a popularity contest. Only on AZB do people nit pick every little thing a player does in competition and psychoanalyze him.

Some guys have to get aggressive to get into their higher gear. Some guys go OCD and everything has to be perfect every shot or it's all wrong. Some guys like Rodney are just as cool no matter what the score.

It's an impossible standard to expect these guys to act like they are running for miss USA. Pool needs characters because honestly the game itself is very boring to the outside world. Mike is young and super talented. He needs support not this constant BS.

He'll keep winning no matter what is said here. Someday you will all have to decide to go with him or not when he becomes the best in the country. Who else in this country is looking to dethrone SVB someday? So just cut the guy some slack and stop the nonsense.

Last edited:

justadub

Rattling corners nightly
Silver Member
I think its pretty obvious that it was decided to go away from the established "old guard" of former Mosconi participants this year, of course other than Shane. MD is caught up in that.

I'm guessing that next year may very well be a different story on who plays and who doesn't. This year seems to kind of be a "clear the air and reset" sort of thing.

That's not necessarily a bad thing. Let all the players get some perspective, and see how it goes from there on out.

I'm rooting for Mike, every time out.

(Our MC team, too)

Kickin' Chicken

Kick Shot Aficionado
Silver Member
That is a good point, unfortunately unlike other sports that have coaches, Mark doesn't get to spend enough time with the players.

I will add to words. Personal Responsibility.

good point, Rob.

what I was suggesting might have been accomplished with a simple face to face meeting followed by the already planned times for the team members to get together and some other possible ongoing communication like phone calls, emails, texts, etc.

but like I said earlier, Mark seemed to have had his mind made up and that was that.

best,
brian kc

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Mike is probably tired of routinely dismissing Mosconi players of 2013 and members of the Mosconi 8:

In 2014, Mike has beaten:

Van Boening 9-8 at the Derby City 9-ball event
Earl Strickland 25-11 in their exhibition match
John Schmidt 9-4 at the Steinway Classic 10-ball
Justin Bergman 9-4 at the Steinway Classic 10-ball
Johnny Archer in the World 14.1 event
Dennis Hatch in the World 14.1 event
Mika Immonen in the Ginky Memorial 10-ball
Mika Immonen in the World 14.1 event
Darren Appleton at the CSI 10-ball event
Jeremy Sossei 13-6 in the final of the Eastern States 9-ball

Unless Europe, most unexpectedly, benches some of its most elite, the Mosconi is all about collecting the scalps of the most elite players. Of the American players, Mike Dechaine does it all the time and more than anyone but Van Boening.

Mike can't be an effective teammate? Was anyone there for Dechaine/Deuel over Reyes/Bustamante at the CSI pro events in a race to 21? Corey and Mike meshed well, communicated effectively, and played very well together. It's America's bad luck that the two won't be coupled as a team in Blackpool in December.

... and yet, by Mike's own admission, he still needs some more professional growth, and I have seen some development this year. Still, let's give Mark Wilson at least some credit for Mike's commitment to self-improvement in the area of professionalism. Nobody, Mark Wilson included, views Mike as unworthy of Mosconi selection as a player, but through his actions, Mark has helped to motivate Mike to develop in other ways.

Mike will, of course, find himself on a future Mosconi team, and when that day comes, Mark will deserve some of the credit for it. The contributions that Mike will, one day, make to Team USA will be part of Mark Wilson's legacy as our coach. Mark is, indeed, the perfect coach for our team, managing the present skillfully and paving the way for the future.

Good luck to Mark Wilson and his team. December will be here before we know it!

tony frank

THE TRAPPER
Silver Member
Pattern racking isn't cheating. Something to know if it's rack your own. They all do it. Just Shane and Mike do it best.
This is a major problem with the game EVERYBODY CHEATS LOL great news for the youngsters ! 9 ball sucks - must be eliminated from the menu. DAAAAAA

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
This is a major problem with the game EVERYBODY CHEATS LOL great news for the youngsters ! 9 ball sucks - must be eliminated from the menu. DAAAAAA

... and 10-ball just as bad. Rack your own is the real problem in our game.

Yes, it's rack your own that's got to be eliminated from the menu.

liakos

Banned
Mike is probably tired of routinely dismissing Mosconi players of 2013 and members of the Mosconi 8:

In 2014, Mike has beaten:

Van Boening 9-8 at the Derby City 9-ball event
Earl Strickland 25-11 in their exhibition match
John Schmidt 9-4 at the Steinway Classic 10-ball
Justin Bergman 9-4 at the Steinway Classic 10-ball
Johnny Archer in the World 14.1 event
Dennis Hatch in the World 14.1 event
Mika Immonen in the Ginky Memorial 10-ball
Mika Immonen in the World 14.1 event
Darren Appleton at the CSI 10-ball event
Jeremy Sossei 13-6 in the final of the Eastern States 9-ball

Unless Europe, most unexpectedly, benches some of its most elite, the Mosconi is all about collecting the scalps of the most elite players. Of the American players, Mike Dechaine does it all the time and more than anyone but Van Boening.

Mike can't be an effective teammate? Was anyone there for Dechaine/Deuel over Reyes/Bustamante at the CSI pro events in a race to 21? Corey and Mike meshed well, communicated effectively, and played very well together. It's America's bad luck that the two won't be coupled as a team in Blackpool in December.

... and yet, by Mike's own admission, he still needs some more professional growth, and I have seen some development this year. Still, let's give Mark Wilson at least some credit for Mike's commitment to self-improvement in the area of professionalism. Nobody, Mark Wilson included, views Mike as unworthy of Mosconi selection as a player, but through his actions, Mark has helped to motivate Mike to develop in other ways.

Mike will, of course, find himself on a future Mosconi team, and when that day comes, Mark will deserve some of the credit for it. The contributions that Mike will, one day, make to Team USA will be part of Mark Wilson's legacy as our coach. Mark is, indeed, the perfect coach for our team, managing the present skillfully and paving the way for the future.

Good luck to Mark Wilson and his team. December will be here before we know it!

Very well said! Mark is already training Mike! Most people here can't see that though:( I really hope Mike finds his way!

(I can't help but ask how many Mike lovers are going to find a the "hating" I just wrote in this post)

Runnintable

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
zz

Yap yap Yap Yap I like Mike Dechaine, Yap yap yap Oh wait he's an a$$hole......

Yap yap yap yap F Mike Dechaine....... Yap Yap yap yap yap.....I like Mike Dechaine....

Kickin' Chicken

Kick Shot Aficionado
Silver Member
Very well said! Mark is already training Mike! Most people here can't see that though:( I really hope Mike finds his way!

(I can't help but ask how many Mike lovers are going to find a the "hating" I just wrote in this post)

I know you can see things that most az members can not, but...

we all get to share our opinions here and if another person's point of view doesn't mesh nicely with ours, it doesn't automatically make them dimwits.

just a little food for thought.

best,
brian kc

ibuycues

I Love Box Cues
Silver Member
When brain cells die, there are other specialized cells in the brain whose job it is to eat the dead ones. The dead cell eaters are called phagocytes.

Hope that helps to balance it out. :smile:

Just remember that things turn out the best for those who make the best of the way things turn out. You'll be OK. :thumbup: :thumbup: :p

Will Prout

Paul Schofield

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
... and 10-ball just as bad. Rack your own is the real problem in our game.

Yes, it's rack your own that's got to be eliminated from the menu.

Sorry folks. It's not Nine-Ball or even Ten-Ball that is the problem. It's not rack-your-own either. It has always been and always will be the ball on the break. It does not matter who racks. Players cheat the rack to make a ball and they cheat the rack to stop an opponent from making a ball. I fixed it a long time ago. All the shenanigans you people talk about are moot in my events. MD played in my event in the Spring with no racking advantage and without controversy.

And please, don't suggest neutral rackers. I ran a 231 match regional tournament two weeks ago. You try to get volunteers to rack for every match. Who can afford to pay them? Besides, the players badger the racker no matter what. Who needs that.

Last edited:

The Renfro

Outsville.com
Silver Member
Sorry Paul.... I spent 2 hours tonight working on 1 thing... It wasn't rack shenanigans... I racked the balls frozen each time... I practiced my 9ball break...

You see what you never learned was that if you practice enough you can learn how to break the balls to where you can make a ball and get a shot on the 1 ball.... It's not luck... It's not Karma... it's putting in the time...

For the 9ball break if you can break and have the back ball bank towards the corner on the side you are breaking from you are doing it right and will run out aplenty.... For 10ball the 1ball slides by the cueball and heads for the corner...

I know you think it's luck or cheatng but it really isn't... IF you had a tournament of guys that knew how to break you wouldn't need the "hey you didn't make anything but here's your trophy for being a sport and playing... shoot again rules"....

Chris

greyghost

Coast to Coast
Silver Member
Don't know how much of a fan I am of Mike's. Probably don't care for people with overly shitty attitudes.

But then, I have always liked Earl.

From watching the video, Mike can play thats a fer sure.

Coming from strictly an ability stand point, someone may be having second thoughts on his being on the team.

But then, he just got a year time out and he knows what for and apparently making an effort to change.

If that works out, good cause no one said that he can never play on the team again, just not this year.

As someone mentioned, he can play rotation but it would be nice to know what other games he excels cell at.

Mikes definitely a great player. No doubt about it, 100% good enough to play for the cup......Earls got his moments where he is an ass thats for sure, tho usually Earl is pushed into that moment most often by fans.

Mike on the other hand from my own personal experience is a complete a$$hole. I had the "pleasure" of playing him up at Snookers once.

Spoke to a long time friend right after the match, telling him about how I was THIS CLOSE to beating the living shit out of the guy! My friend said well dam how bad did you lose?

I laughed and said WE HADN'T EVEN RACKED THE BALLS YET!

I ended up losing 7-4....played well with the wallabuska and really liked the tables, the tournament and everyone else i met......but i swear he nearly got drug out to the parking lot by the short hair. :angry:

And i had wondered why I heard him referred to as
Mike "shit pain" Deschaine :rotflmao1:

Never in my entire life have I been so angry in a pool hall without cheating, stealing or something shady going on....much less BEFORE THE BALLS WERE EVEN RACKED!

Maybe he was just on the rag or something I don't know.....but if pissing me off was poker he would have won the world series.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Sorry folks. It's not Nine-Ball or even Ten-Ball that is the problem. It's not rack-your-own either. It has always been and always will be the ball on the break. It does not matter who racks. Players cheat the rack to make a ball and they cheat the rack to stop an opponent from making a ball. I fixed it a long time ago. All the shenanigans you people talk about are moot in my events. MD played in my event in the Spring with no racking advantage and without controversy.

And please, don't suggest neutral rackers. I ran a 231 match regional tournament two weeks ago. You try to get volunteers to rack for every match. Who can afford to pay them? Besides, the players badger the racker no matter what. Who needs that.

The US Open is a nine table event. Volunteers are not that hard to come by. One does not need referee skills to rack the balls. Any fan that plays pool will do and finding enough fan volunteers to rack the balls should be easy at the well-attended US Open 9-ball. Not one of these volunteers would expect to be paid. Their payoff is that they get to sit inside the playing area for one of the matches.

If they need to be paid, maybe Barry Behrman should call me and maybe I'll pick up the tab.

Last edited:

liakos

Banned
Mikes definitely a great player. No doubt about it, 100% good enough to play for the cup......Earls got his moments where he is an ass thats for sure, tho usually Earl is pushed into that moment most often by fans.

Mike on the other hand from my own personal experience is a complete a$$hole. I had the "pleasure" of playing him up at Snookers once.

Spoke to a long time friend right after the match, telling him about how I was THIS CLOSE to beating the living shit out of the guy! My friend said well dam how bad did you lose?

I ended up losing 7-4....played well with the wallabuska and really liked the tables, the tournament and everyone else i met......but i swear he nearly got drug out to the parking lot by the short hair. :angry:

Never in my entire life have I been so angry in a pool hall without cheating, stealing or something shady going on....much less BEFORE THE BALLS WERE EVEN RACKED!

Maybe he was just on the rag or something I don't know.....but if pissing me off was poker he would have won the world series.

Mike is the nicest and greatest pool player ever! It's amazing how people dislike him! Yes the nicest, sincerest, and humble human being on the planet! It truly am amazes me how people can right so many negative things about such a nice young man who has sooooo much going for him! He's one the greatest pool players ever!!! Did you not know this?? Mike is the greatest;)

Btw, I got a couple bridges I'm selling if your interested! Cheap;)

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Sorry folks. It's not Nine-Ball or even Ten-Ball that is the problem. It's not rack-your-own either. It has always been and always will be the ball on the break. It does not matter who racks. Players cheat the rack to make a ball and they cheat the rack to stop an opponent from making a ball. I fixed it a long time ago. All the shenanigans you people talk about are moot in my events. MD played in my event in the Spring with no racking advantage without controversy..

It seems that you and you alone have solved the game's racking issues. I can't think of a pro event played in America in recent years in which the rack arguments didn't occur. When he played Ko in Vegas, Shane complained so much that he made them try magic rack after magic rack until he was satisfied. These racking controversies not only make our players look bad but it make the products of our sponsors bad, as well.

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Nobody doubts Mike's skill on the table. That said, even Mike admits he's too much of a hothead at times. But holy cow, if he pissed off Keebie THAT much, before they even played?...well, let me just say, ya gotta go a ways to get greyghost mad! He's one of the good guys! LOL

Scott Lee
http://poolknowledge.com