took off the finish of my new used cue..

PetToilet

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So I finally received the used butt of my cue after a grueling hoop session with USPS, since Maryland had a big snowstorm today. First thing I do is my usual cue cleaning, using 99% rubbing alcohol. This works fine on my Fury, but now I believe recall reading somewhere that it may be bad for some finishes. Well this butt had one of those finishes! Maybe 10 seconds after giving the cue a complete wipe, the cue got all sticky and came off completely in some parts. Now finger prints embedded themselves in it. Also there was this stuff on my hands I couldn't get off.

So.. is there any way I can refinish it or do I have to take it to a custom cue maker to do it? There is also a slight roll in the butt (and knew about) that I want to have fixed, so perhaps I could kill two birds with one stone? Would re-tapering the butt involve a re-finish anyway? How much would this cost and how long would it take?

Would it be damaging to play with the cue with the finish completely off in various places? My hands are the sweatier kind. If so, is there a quick-ish fix? I have some important games in the next several weeks.

Last edited:

PetToilet

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
oops, could someone move this to "Ask The Cuemaker" ?

Also, I had a question about radial pin squeaking. What should I put on the pin to prevent the squeaking? I believe it's due to a combination of a new OB-2 and 99% alcohol'd pin, as I see thread marks on the flat part of the radial pin at the top. I have.. mink oil (shoe polish for leather), vasoline, and candle wax.

Last edited:

rackem

SUPPORT CLUB MEMBERSHIP
Silver Member
Never a problem reported to me

I would try bees wax on the pin.
I would ask your post to be moved to the John Barton section. :grin-square:
He works with Fury.
As what I sell is also manufactured by Kao Kao. I have never experienced a finish problem.
I doubt there is an inherant problem. I am sure John will be along soon to enlighten us.

Last edited:

chazdillon

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
if u retaper the butt. u will need a rewrap and finish.

try furniture polish next time. that should be safe on all finishes. also i have heard that beeswax will prevent the sqeeking but if u need to make the pin and shaft fit tighter i have heard that a damp q-tip put inside the threads of the shaft will make it swell just slightly to get that nice tight fit. the bees wax may prevent this from working in the future if u ever plan on doing that.