Tough Decision on Custom Shaft

sherlock

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hello,

I am having a replacement shaft made for my custom cue (both of my other traditional shafts have become quite warped over the past 15 years). I can only afford to have one shaft made and the cue maker has suggested I consider a traditional maple or a flat laminated. I realize this issue is controversial, but any suggestions? I have played for 20+ years (B- level) but am just getting back into the game after about 7 years.

Tx

ceebee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
sherlock said:
Hello,

I am having a replacement shaft made for my custom cue (both of my other traditional shafts have become quite warped over the past 15 years). I can only afford to have one shaft made and the cue maker has suggested I consider a traditional maple or a flat laminated. I realize this issue is controversial, but any suggestions? I have played for 20+ years (B- level) but am just getting back into the game after about 7 years.

Tx

I like the RADIAL Laminated shafts, rather than the flat laminates. The flat laminate shafts are very strong in X-axis direction & so-so strong in the Y-axis direction, just like plywood bends easy in one direction & is very strong in the other. That much we all know about flat lamination.

The PIE Shaped multi-lam shafts are strong in any of the 360 degrees of rotation. There are several multi-lams shafts offered, the TIGER shaft, the Predator shaft, the Atlas Billiards shaft, the OB-1 Shaft & others.....

My pie-lam was made by Joe Sanko & I've had it for 5 years. Each time I trade cues, I get Joe to re-fit that shaft.

sherlock

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks for the comment--as I recall, the cuemaker felt that the radial shaft might require too much of an adjustment on my part after playing with a traditional for so many years. I only get to play a few hours a week.

ceebee said:
I like the RADIAL Laminated shafts, rather than the flat laminates. The flat laminate shafts are very strong in X-axis direction & so-so strong in the Y-axis direction, just like plywood bends easy in one direction & is very strong in the other. That much we all know about flat lamination.

The PIE Shaped multi-lam shafts are strong in any of the 360 degrees of rotation. There are several multi-lams shafts offered, the TIGER shaft, the Predator shaft, the Atlas Billiards shaft, the OB-1 Shaft & others.....

My pie-lam was made by Joe Sanko & I've had it for 5 years. Each time I trade cues, I get Joe to re-fit that shaft.

robertno1pool

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Laminated Shaft

I got a flat laminated shaft a few months ago. It also includes a significantly different taper. The flat laminated shaft has helped to improve my game immensely and give new life to a 20 + year old cue. These flat laminated shafts are also easier to make and reduce the cue maker’s ability to introduce manufacturing flaws. I got the older plain wood shafts refinished at the same time, but other than looking better wonder why. I only use the flat laminated shaft every time I shoot. Flat laminated is what I recommend. Being in Texas as well, you should be able to locate the stricly custom cuemaker who made my shaft and matched my existing ring work perfectly.

Jeffrey Gale

My WoW stick.
Silver Member
sherlock said:
Hello,

Tx
Spend $200 or $250 and get yourself an old growth wood shaft with 16 to 20 growth rings, the wood is darker. Straight up wood nothing more. A few cuemakers sell old growth wood shafts. They're hard to come buy sometimes, but they're out there. :)

Tbeaux

Angelic Hotdog
Silver Member
sherlock said:
Hello,

Tx

There are some very good flat laminate shafts but as CEEBEE stated the radial laminate shafts will be stronger. From the test results on Platinum Billiards website it looks like the Tiger X shaft plays closest to a solid wood shaft. As a matter of fact it seems to be closer to solid shaft specs than the flat laminated shafts.

Terry

sherlock

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Has it been your experience that the "adjustment time" to go from a conventional shaft to a radial lam is longer than a flat lam or about the same? Again, I ask this because I can only devote a few hours a week to playing. Tx.

ceebee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
sherlock said:
Has it been your experience, that the "adjustment time" to go from a conventional shaft to a radial lam is longer than a flat lam or about the same? Again, I ask this because I can only devote a few hours a week to playing. Tx.

I didn't experience any "learning curve", it felt good from the "GIT-GO"

SnakePool

Number 1 Photo Guy
Silver Member
Some of us here in the Dallas/Fort Worth area Use and Enjoy the OB-1 Cue shaft. I have been playing with mine for almost 6 months. I will not touch any cue without one. The deflection is minimal, the hit is solid and the feel is perfect.

You can check it out at OB-1 Cue Shaft

Don't just take my word for it.

robertno1pool

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Premium cue shafts

The test results on Platinum Billiard’s website does not evaluate the flat laminated shaft I own. (Perhaps they do not want to perform this comparison). The Platinum Billiards testing does show a Predator Z as having the lowest deflection of all shafts tested. The test results at www.annieosproshop.com shows the shaft I use to have 75% less deflection than the Predator Z shaft. These test were performed with a machine.

The OB-1 comes in either a “black collar” or “black color with metal ring”. These ring options do not match quite a number of custom cues with custom collars and custom ring work. I own more than one that do not match these collar options. A plain black collar would look like Fido’s butt on the opposite side from these more elaborate cue's joints.

Does anyone own an OB-1 shaft that includes custom ring work? I do not even see custom ring work discussed on their website. Such ring work is not free and will be a hidden cost to each premium shaft. If you own an OB-1 with custom ring work, post a photo so the rest of us can see it.

RBC

Deceased
Robertno1pool,

I have matched custom joint collars on many OB-1 shafts. Unfortunately, for the time being, our work load does not allow us to do very much of this. We do, however, sell a Partial that you can have your custom cuemaker match to your cue. As a matter of fact, I will ship quite a few of these directly to cuemakers this week. I can match many joint sizes and styles that are not really custom, but are not that standard either. Below is a list of just some of these that I do still match OB-1 shafts to:
Predator P2
Olivier
Bludworth
Viking quick release
Pechauer speed joint in phenolic and steel
Old Schon with a dashed ring
Lucasi Railroad joint with Uni Loc
I am building 2 shafts with the Mcdermott quick release
Shuler

I am sure there are others which I have failed to mention.

I would love to see an un-biased test set up. I have read the test results from Platinum, AnnieO, and Meucci. Obviously, they can't all be right so I believe there are inconsistencies in their tests. It really doesn't take much variation to change the test results. I am not saying that any of them alter the results on purpose but, like I said, they can't all be right.

If you are going to the Fast Eddie's stop in Houston in a couple of weeks maybe I will see you there.

Royce Bunnell
Owen Bunnell Inc.
www.obcues.com

iacas

Drill Sergeant
Silver Member
robertno1pool said:
The test results on Platinum Billiard’s website does not evaluate the flat laminated shaft I own. (Perhaps they do not want to perform this comparison). The Platinum Billiards testing does show a Predator Z as having the lowest deflection of all shafts tested. The test results at www.annieosproshop.com shows the shaft I use to have 75% less deflection than the Predator Z shaft. These test were performed with a machine.

The OB-1 comes in either a “black collar” or “black color with metal ring”. These ring options do not match quite a number of custom cues with custom collars and custom ring work. I own more than one that do not match these collar options. A plain black collar would look like Fido’s butt on the opposite side from these more elaborate cue's joints.

Does anyone own an OB-1 shaft that includes custom ring work? I do not even see custom ring work discussed on their website. Such ring work is not free and will be a hidden cost to each premium shaft. If you own an OB-1 with custom ring work, post a photo so the rest of us can see it.
I'm not sure where all this anger is coming from... As Royce says, they'll ship a blank to a cue-maker. End of story, n'est-ce pas?

Gregg

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
iacas said:
I'm not sure where all this anger is coming from... As Royce says, they'll ship a blank to a cue-maker. End of story, n'est-ce pas?

I don't know about anger, but the post is colorful to say the least!@#

And I do understand where he is coming from, where a custom ring would would be additional, but that's why they sell blanks so you can purchase it and find out for yourself how much it would cost.

For example I have been looking into a matching ring custom made 314 shaft from Samsara for my Samsara cue, and they gave me a price of $250.00. How could anybody possibly price a custom ring on a blank shaft from every manufacture for every cue available? It's not their job, and if they have spell every single thing out for you, then all I can say is buyer beware. Or to simply use your best judgment when reading ads, news papers, commercials, or anything else. And higher a lawyer and keep him on retianer, so that you can make sure you don't get burned on a high end custom shaft.

You never know, really.

Last edited:

robertno1pool

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Superior shafts

Although I used more color than "black" in my last post, I was not trying to saw any bad words or appear angry. I appoligize if it offended anyone.

I am quite satisfied with the clarifications on the OB-1 shaft. If OB-1 sells cue blanks then a good cue maker can add matching rings quite easily. I appreciate the clarification from the OB-1 users.

Even if there was a fair test, someone would change constructions slightly with a new name and the problem will crop back up. Shafts are tested with completely different tips and tip shapes.

I do not have laminated or OB-1 shafts for my more expensive cue, so I may give them a try next time or on my next cue.