True or False

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Too funny, guys, but thanks for the respect. Funniest thing anyone has ever said to me on this subject was when Pat Fleming told me, in jest I assume, that I'm seen on more Accu-stats matches than SVB.

I know how lucky I am to have been in a position to follow the tournament trail for all these years. In case anyone cares, the first pro tournament I ever attended was the 1976 PPPA World 14.1 Championship in Asbury Park, NJ. I've met a lot of great people on the tournament trail, many of them regular AZB contributors.

I think I like the pro pool scene for the same reason I like the poolhall. In each case, you get to meet all kinds of people from all walks of life, and nearly all of them are worth meeting.

Last edited:

Rickhem

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I grew up in the Asbury Park area.
Used to go to the boardwalk in the summer in the '50's and '60's.
I grew up north of there, but Asbury Park was always the last of the "Sportsman" shows for a given year. Usually they were right before Easter. They had them in the Convention Center, and in the late 70s and early 80s, that place was showing it's age. I can remember that there was a sportsmen's club that set up a little shooting stand on the center of the boardwalk between the convention center and where the carousel used to be, and for a few bucks, you could take shots at clay targets that they'd throw out towards the water. Even then it was surprising that they'd be shooting shotguns, from the boardwalk out over the beach. And then right across the street was the Stone Pony. Never got to see Springsteen on any of his impromptu appearances there, but it was a pretty fun place in it's day.

Rickhem

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
YupIi look for him everytime I watch billiard TV.
Same here, I find myself scanning the first row or two of the crowd when watching any pool event.

Stu, I almost met you once up at Turning Stone. Saw you there, and even walked over and stood next to you for a bit in that lane between the two rows of tables, but you were talking with someone else for a bit and I didn't want to interrupt.

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member
Too funny, guys, but thanks for the respect. Funniest thing anyone has ever said to me on this subject was when Pat Fleming told me, in jest I assume, that I'm seen on more Accu-stats matches than SVB.

I know how lucky I am to have been in a position to follow the tournament trail for all these years. In case anyone cares, the first pro tournament I ever attended was the 1976 PPPA World 14.1 Championship in Asbury Park, NJ. I've met a lot of great people on the tournament trail, many of them regular AZB contributors.

I think I like the pro pool scene for the same reason I like the poolhall. In each case, you get to meet all kinds of people from all walks of life, and nearly all of them are worth meeting.
Was at a gas station last week in Michigan getting a snack.
A greyhound bus pulled up (I was already in store), about 20 people got off to get snacks, many hemped up, but laughing, shuckin and jiving and kickin' life/humor/in the moment in a good way.
This reminded me of Red Shoes about 4pm, and many of the great rooms I was at in during my Varner/Jansco years and traveling.
If I liked the area, I'd stay/rent and start tending bar.
Bourbon street and BB King years were part of my earlier years, always enjoyed New Orleans/San Francisco and many other areas of the US.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Was at a gas station last week in Michigan getting a snack.
A greyhound bus pulled up (I was already in store), about 20 people got off to get snacks, many hemped up, but laughing, shuckin and jiving and kickin' life/humor/in the moment in a good way.
This reminded me of Red Shoes about 4pm, and many of the great rooms I was at in during my Varner/Jansco years and traveling.
If I liked the area, I'd stay/rent and start tending bar.
Bourbon street and BB King years were part of my earlier years, always enjoyed New Orleans/San Francisco and many other areas of the US.
Right on, Bill. It's all about the journey, and you've had a memorable one.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Same here, I find myself scanning the first row or two of the crowd when watching any pool event.

Stu, I almost met you once up at Turning Stone. Saw you there, and even walked over and stood next to you for a bit in that lane between the two rows of tables, but you were talking with someone else for a bit and I didn't want to interrupt.
I'll be at the Turning Stone event on 9/1 and 9/2. If you'll be there, too, make a point of saying hi.

briankenobi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I had the honor of joining Stu for the Derby City Banks Ring game. It was great to share that with you and enjoy your company.

ibuycues

I Love Box Cues
Silver Member
This is an excellent thread about a magnificent contributor to our genre.
And a very much appreciated gentleman! Thanks Stu.
Will Prout