Turning Stone Classic XXXVII Aug31- Sept. 4th

trob

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
16 of the 37 Turning Stone event winners were undefeated; 21 were from the one-loss side.
. As I said you won’t find a single player coming from the 1 loss side that isnt happy that he only has to win one set and not two. I understand why they do it but I don’t have to like it lol

trob

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
On a side note, if anyone wants to make their mark at being an announcer and getting noticed, do yourselves the favor and reach out to Zuglan and see about getting some air time. That commentary was awful.
I normally like upstate Al and still do but he was all over the place this year. Talking loud on the phone while the finals was going on. Come on man. That’s just bad form

krelldog

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The other way to look at it is that the player who came through the losers' bracket has at least as many wins as the winners' side player and maybe more. Like when Mika lost his first match at the US Open and won the thing.

Besides, a single final match is easier on the audience and the scheduling. True double elimination helped kill pool on TV in the late 60s. The best solution is to use single elimination for the final 16 or 32.
I have this Accu Stats video of Mika getting beat in the first round. Anybody remember who beat him....Hint..His initials are CB

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I have this Accu Stats video of Mika getting beat in the first round. Anybody remember who beat him....Hint..His initials are CB
It has been said many times over the years, even by Jeremy Jones, that Mika lost his first match in the 2009 US Open before going on to win the tournament. That is incorrect. He won his first match 11-6 against Jerry Fitchett. It was his second match that he lost, to Chris Bartram 9-11.

skogstokig

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thorsten has been like that for years. Need to go back and check out YouTube to see when this started.

i think he has always struggled with it. it was said back in the 00's that he used a vest with weighs (at breast height) for practice. idk if it was true or not. but this definitely has become a more pronounced problem in later years