Two questions for table mechanics

14oneman

Straight, no chaser!
Silver Member
#1- I realize cushions come in several profiles, but are they rated for "speed" or "rebound" also? I assume that if you were replacing rubber on a 7' table, you wouldn't want the rubber to be as lively as for a 9'? Or, does the profile itself affect the speed of rebound, or doesn't it matter at all? What brand of cushions do you recomend for a 9' table used for 14.1, with Simonis 760 cloth? A friend mentioned Artemis Tournament Cushions, but I want the opinion of an expert.:confused:

#2- Back in the "Golden Age" of billiards, what was the model of Brunswick's top of the line 5'x10' tournament (commercial) table called? (circa 1930's)
Was it Centenial, or something else?

Last edited:

Poolschool

Pool table nerd
Silver Member
Let me number the questions for you and maybe we can get some replies...

#1.) I realize cushions come in several profiles, but are they rated for "speed" or "rebound" also?

Yes, some manufacturer's do take it to the extreme and test for speed and resilience. Olhausen's Accufast cushions have been tested to be the most resilient cushion over a longer time frame. I have yet to see a bad Accufast cushion. Maybe I can scan it and possibly email it to you?

#2.) I assume that if you were replacing rubber on a 7' table, you wouldn't want the rubber to be as lively as for a 9'?

That's a good point... There are cushions out there that will play really fast but they play well. So yes I would want the best cushions on a 7'. I'll check the list I can't remember off the top of my head but I know Brunswick Superspeed was the fastest but they also deteriorated quicker and lost resiliency, Artemis and then Accufast. Even Artemis will loose resiliency over time but they play so good its worth the money to replace them. Lively? Not necessarily, just accurate and consistent.

#3.) does the profile itself affect the speed of rebound, or doesn't it matter at all?

I think it does... K66 and K55 profiles have adapted themselves into quality pool tables for a reason. I have never found a consistent (American pool) cushion outside of K66 and K55, 35's and 23's are junk.

#4.) What brand of cushions do you recommend for a 9' table used for 14.1, with Simonis 760 cloth? A friend mentioned Artemis Tournament Cushions.

What type of table do you have? If you want something that plays well and you never have to replace get Accufast. If you are playing 14.1 I would recommend Artemis as well. I would recommend 860 over 760 just for durability purposes only, I like to play on 760 every once in a while.

#5) Back in the "Golden Age" of billiards, what was the model of Brunswick's top of the line 5'x10' tournament (commercial) table called?(circa 1930's)

There wasn't a specific top of the line table in those days that I'm aware of. You are talking of a Centennial or Anniversary perhaps? Circa 1945 Those tables were made to commemorate Brunswick's 100th year in the business. Great tables!

Last edited:

14oneman

Straight, no chaser!
Silver Member
Thanks for your reply. You have been very helpfull. If I understand this correctly, it seems that certain tables require either K55 or K66 profiles, based on the table rails that they were designed for? I'm assuming they are not interchangable, if the table was designed for a specific profile?

That being the case, the table in question is a Gandy Big G. It was very recently recovered with 760, (prior to us acquiring it), but the cushions were not recovered. Because the rubber is shot, (dead spots), we want to replace the rubber and cover it in the same cloth as the table.

Poolschool

Pool table nerd
Silver Member
A Big "G" has K66 profile rails if I'm not mistaken. I recommend putting Artemis or Accufast on that table since it is a heavy duty piece. I may have some 760 rail cloth laying around, let me know if I can help.

pdcue

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Kling was pre-WWI

Scottster said:
The Table is known as "The Kling"

The Kling was top of the line in the teens, by the mid-1920s
it had been replaced by the slightly more ornate Arcade.

By the 30s it would have been the Regina or Conqueror(1928)
or perhaps, Commander(circa??)

The Brunswick site now has info and diagrams
of many classic tables

Dale

Last edited:

Tablemechanic

Silver Member
Questions

It all depends on what profile the table uses.

A Gandy Big G should use k66. I would use Artemis or Championship tour edition.

The Centennial was made from 1945-1964, check my avatar

Steve

Last edited:

marvelous

Registered
Centennial

What rubber profile should be used on an centennial. I'm told the rails need trimmed to fit modern rubber. Anyone have any experience with the Centennial?

realkingcobra

Silver Member
Your question about what kind of rubber to put on your pool table is kind of like calling up a auto repair shop to ask them why your car won't start...until they know what kind of car you have...how can they even start to tell you what might be wrong?

How thick are your rails? 1 3/4in? 1 5/Th's? 1 1/IN? Because if it's an Olhousen table...you can't put K66 or k55 rubber on it...it would never play right. If it has k66 and you want to switch to k55...you have to change the bevel of the rail to match the different rubber...same goes for changing from k55 to k66. Artemus is kind of like an upper end car tire found on sports cars...do you have a sports car...or a bomber because you wouldn't go out and spend more money on tires than your cars worth...would you? Rubber for speed?...hmmm...try this on for size...a 9ft Diamond Pro Am with Artemus k55 rubber and Simonis 860 cloth will get you 9 banks with the cue ball....the same table with IPT cloth will get you 6 to 7 banks....I think the speed of a table is more in the cloth...not the rails, unless the rails are mounted to low in which case the table will play more like a pinball machine instead of a pool table!

marvelous

Registered
Brunswick Centennial C-D CIRCA 1948

The Brunswick Centennial had the original rubber on it. When I look up specs on the K66 or the K55, none of them measure up to what was on this table.

After talking to a couple of old billiard mechanics and searching online, the recommended approach is to cut a new angle on the rails so that it will accomadate modern rubber profiles.

realkingcobra

Silver Member
Back then Brunswick only used what was called "Brunswick Superspeed K55" rubber on all their pocket pool tables.

realkingcobra

Silver Member
If you put K66 rubber on a rail that was designed for K55 rubber, the point of the K66 rubber is going to sit at 1 9/16ths of an inch, which is 1/8th of an inch above what the rail height needs to be. In order to change your rails over to K66 you would have to lower the bevel on your rails where the rubber mounts to in order to accomadate the change in rubber....way to much work...just put on K55 and be done with it if the rubber needs to be changed.

Nineballggs

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
pdcue said:
The Kling was top of the line in the teens, by the mid-1920s
it had been replaced by the slightly more ornate Arcade.

By the 30s it would have been the Regina or Conqueror(1928)
or perhaps, Commander(circa??)

The Brunswick site now has info and diagrams
of many classic tables

Dale

Hi guys.......Just for the hell of it..........I am a dealer for Golden West and serve the entire New England Region......They make the replica of "The Kling" and it is the Bees Knees........For a photo go to www.leatherpocket.com

Click on the Tables Page and follow directions to see entire line of tables...

realkingcobra

Silver Member
Poolschool said:
A Big "G" has K66 profile rails if I'm not mistaken. I recommend putting Artemis or Accufast on that table since it is a heavy duty piece. I may have some 760 rail cloth laying around, let me know if I can help.

I just read what you wrote, then I looked at your profile...you work in sales of pool tables??? First of all...do you even know what's involved in switching a set of rails over from K55 or K66 rubber to Accufast rubber???? Please tell me you do know that in order to use Accufast rubber the height or thickness of the rails is going to have to be reduced to 1 1/2" in order to mount the Accufast rubber. So let me get this straight, to switch from K66/K55 rubber on rails 1 3/4" thick...you're recomending planning down the thickness of the rails to 1 1/2" inches in order to mount the Accufast rubber. What if someone wants to change from Accufast to K55/K66...glue on a 1/4" piece of wood on the bottom of the rails in order to get them up to 1 3/4" thick?