Two tips of english. Blah Blah Blah

Hal

Beer Player
Silver Member
I hear people all the time saying crap about "two tips of right hand english". This is what I perceive to be "two tips of right hand english". I have a Moori medium well chalked tip on a Schon cue and I'll be damned if I can make a good hit. I challenge you to do it.

This is based on a 2.250 diameter cue ball and a 12.5mm tip.

Attachments

• two tips.jpg
    two tips.jpg
    10.1 KB · Views: 572
Last edited:

Mr. Wilson

El Kabong
Gold Member
Silver Member
One tip off center wouldn't account for 1/2 tip already covering the center of the ball.

It would mean that the edge of the tip would be 12.5 mm from the center of the ball.

supergreenman

truly addicted
Silver Member
2 tips

This is my impression of what 2 tips should look like (in green)

Attachments

• two%20tips.jpg
    two%20tips.jpg
    11.7 KB · Views: 563

Hal

Beer Player
Silver Member
supergreenman said:
This is my impression of what 2 tips should look like (in green)
You moved a half tip and then a full tip. That looks like 1 1/2 tips to me. You moved twice as much on the the second tip as you did the first tip.

Last edited:

pooltchr

Prof. Billiard Instructor
Silver Member
Think in terms of the amount of tip that actually makes contact. One tip should be about the same size as those little blue chalk marks on your cue ball.
Steve

mikepage

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hal said:
I hear people all the time saying crap about "two tips of right hand english". This is what I perceive to be "two tips of right hand english". I have a Moori medium well chalked tip on a Schon cue and I'll be damned if I can make a good hit. I challenge you to do it.

This is based on a 2.125 diameter cue ball and a 12.5mm tip.

Yeah, this terminology is confusing. Because you do tend to hear about "two tips" of english and you don't tend to hear about more than two tips of english, I've always just equated "two tips" with maximum, i.e., close to miscue. One tip is then half of this, etc.

mike page
fargo

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A CB in pool is not 2.125 inches in diameter!

Hal said:

This is based on a 2.125 diameter cue ball and a 12.5mm tip.

Hal...A POOL cueball is 2 1/4" in diameter (2.25"). Are your figures wrong, or are you talking about a snooker cueball, which is 2 1/8" (or 2.125")? Either way, as an instructor I never use terms like "tips of english", precisely because different people play with different tip sizes. I use measurements of 1/8", which represents the size of the chalkmark on the CB after contact (and is also the size of the red circle, on a red circle cueball). Helping students to understand how MICRO-adjustments in their aim points on the CB can cause dramatic differences in both pocketing the OB, and affecting the outcome of CB position, is, imo, very important information to learn.

I've said this before...if you take a striped ball and put the stripe exactly horizontal or vertical, and aim the edge of your tip at the outside edge of the stripe, this will be the maximum area you can contact the CB without a miscue. You will need a quality, repeatable stroke to consistently strike the CB on these areas.

Scott Lee

ra[g]e

Prince of Pool wannabe
Silver Member
Hal said:
You moved a half tip and then a full tip. That looks like 1 1/2 tips to me. You moved twice as much on the the second tip as you did the first tip.
Actually I'd agree with supergreenman with regards to tip displacements. 1 tip off should be considered as 1 tip off the central point on the cue ball, hence the green color placings.

Billy_Bob

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Scott Lee said:
...I've said this before...if you take a striped ball and put the stripe exactly horizontal or vertical, and aim the edge of your tip at the outside edge of the stripe, this will be the maximum area you can contact the CB without a miscue...

So how many "tips" is the edge of the stripe? 4, 5?

supergreenman

truly addicted
Silver Member
ra[g]e said:
Actually I'd agree with supergreenman with regards to tip displacements. 1 tip off should be considered as 1 tip off the central point on the cue ball, hence the green color placings.
I think my tip spacing is too large. I'd go with what Scott and Steve said, I just wanted to illustrate that when you talk about a tip of english, it starts from the centre of the CB not from the outside edge of where a centre ball hit would be.

Colin Colenso

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You've got a good point Hal!

I've seen diamond system explanations that talk about 1, 2 and 3 tips of english...but it reality, moving the cue to about 1.8 tip widths is probably getting close to the extreme limits.

It just doesn't make sense to call something a 1-tip displacement when you're only shifting the cue tip 1/2 its width across.

mikepage

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Colin Colenso said:

I've seen diamond system explanations that talk about 1, 2 and 3 tips of english...but it reality, moving the cue to about 1.8 tip widths is probably getting close to the extreme limits.

It just doesn't make sense to call something a 1-tip displacement when you're only shifting the cue tip 1/2 its width across.

Furthermore, if you have a flat tip, you can shift it a half a tip width and get no english at all. And if it's kinda flat you'll get just a wee bit of english.

scottycoyote

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
get one of those elephant balls that holds chalk and shoot with it. You will be surprised where you think you are hitting the cueball and where you are actually hitting it.

BRKNRUN

Showin some A$$
Silver Member
Hal,

I think you got it right in the title.....BLAH BLAH BLAH

When I hear this type of english applying terms used, 99% of the time they turn Canadian...."ABOUTE 1/2 tip", "ABOUT a tip" "ABOUT a tip and a half" "ABOUT 2 tips" ....

I can't recall anyone ever say "About 2 and 1/2 tips"

I do know that a while back a guy showed me a very effective system of "about tips of english" for one rail kicks using straight shots to the end rail that bank to the side and corner pockets.

Hal

Beer Player
Silver Member
Scott Lee said:
Hal...A POOL cueball is 2 1/4" in diameter (2.25"). Scott Lee
Yeah, that's what I meant. I mistyped.
ra[g]e said:
How can you agree with supergreenman??? He moves TWICE AS MUCH on the second green circle as he does the first green circle. He moves 1/2 of a green circle off center then he moves a WHOLE green circle.

Hal

Beer Player
Silver Member
Colin Colenso said:

This is my point. 2 full tips of english is what the original diagram illistrates. If it's not really a whole tip, then don't say "two tips of english".

TSW

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've got to agree with Hal here. Greenman's illustration shows a half-tip of English, as he's only moving 1/2 a cue tip diameter from the center of the cue ball. It doesn't make sense to call that a full tip.