U.S. AMATEUR CHAMPIONSHIP - rule - ear plugs.

seymore15074

So what are you saying?
Silver Member
JoeyA said:
------------------------
OK, while I am not going to go the route others have by asking if your position includes, implants/inserts/removables also known as earrings and other objects impaled in the ears but I would ask all of the AZers who think nothing should be worn in the ear except hearing aids:

WHAT IS YOUR REASON FOR NOT WANTING PLAYERS TO WEAR EAR PLUGS? Nothing else, just ear plugs. Why should ear plugs be outlawed?
(this question is not just for Jude but anyone who thinks ear plus should be outlawed.---Again, just ear plugs...
JoeyA

Consideration for your opponent. That is why. You do know that you have to talk to each other at times, right?

Jude Rosenstock

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
seymore15074 said:
Consideration for your opponent. That is why. You do know that you have to talk to each other at times, right?

"heads"
"tails"
"push"
"you're on two"

That's all I need to hear.

JoeyA

Efren's Mini-Tourn BACKER
Silver Member
Benefits Of Earplug Use Outweigh Any Imagined Negatives.

seymore15074 said:

Your opponent is REQUIRED to keep his or her mouth shut, while you are shooting.

Pool isn't a conversation game/sport.

It requires very little if any spoken words.

A person with earplugs can speak just fine and his opponent can nod his head or wag it left and right if he doesn't understand the spoken word.

Consideration for your opponent? The problem is seldom if ever the person shooting the balls in the hole. It is almost always the person sitting in the chair or the person sitting in the bleachers wanting to chap somebody's a**. The art of distracting someone with snide remarks is as old as dirt.

Most of the time when I'm playing pool in tournaments if I have to call the pocket, I call the pocket by pointing my cue toward the pocket, to eliminate the possibility of them misunderstanding my words. There really is very little need for speaking and what little speaking that needs to be done can easily be done with earplugs installed.

The benefits of using earplugs FAR OUTWEIGH any negative factors that anyone might conjure up in their mind.

The electronic stuff is a different story.
JoeyA

seymore15074

So what are you saying?
Silver Member
Jude Rosenstock said:
"heads"
"tails"
"push"
"you're on two"

That's all I need to hear.

That doesn't keep it from being rude. You could cover your ears with your hands and start singing "la la la la la" when somebody speaks to you and still know what they're saying... Like I said, consideration. The one word that pool players seem to neglect far too often.

quitecoolguy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I concure about pool being a silent game...me and my buddy who is my road buddy, we go all over..started really taking the game seriously i have been getting up and practicing 2 to 3 hours everyday. Last night we played and we talked and laughed before we took out cues out..but once they came out it was all business. We are best friends..like brothers..but damn..we hardley said anything to the other for three sets racing to seven..he won 7-5 7-6 7-5 but we both shot well...so your right JoyeA no talking

I got hammered for what i am about to say in a thread i posted in a while ago about IPODs..or ear plugs...i dont agree with them..i truly think it creates an advantage for the person wearing them..now dont everyone jump all over me..just hear me out..you may agree or not..but here is the situation. I lean down to shoot a tough shot ...i dont have ear plugs in ...i have to hear the sound of balls being hit, some guy yelling over a foul called on him, the sound of laughter etc..but i will myself to tune it out and i play the shot. ..now you drop down with your ear plugs on..all u hear is the smooth rythmic sound of your breathing ..and you play your shot. Would you have made that shot if you had to tune out all that i had to tune out? We wont know at all now will we..heheh But as for me personally i dont wear em..and i dont really care if the person im playing wears em... Im gona play the table no matter who i play.. just my two cents

seymore15074

So what are you saying?
Silver Member
JoeyA said:
The benefits of using earplugs FAR OUTWEIGH any negative factors that anyone might conjure up in my mind.

...there, I fixed your sentence up for you. :p

JoeyA

Silver Member
quitecoolguy said:
I concure about pool being a silent game...me and my buddy who is my road buddy, we go all over..started really taking the game seriously i have been getting up and practicing 2 to 3 hours everyday. Last night we played and we talked and laughed before we took out cues out..but once they came out it was all business. We are best friends..like brothers..but damn..we hardley said anything to the other for three sets racing to seven..he won 7-5 7-6 7-5 but we both shot well...so your right JoyeA no talking

I got hammered for what i am about to say in a thread i posted in a while ago about IPODs..or ear plugs...i dont agree with them..i truly think it creates an advantage for the person wearing them..now dont everyone jump all over me..just hear me out..you may agree or not..but here is the situation. I lean down to shoot a tough shot ...i dont have ear plugs in ...i have to hear the sound of balls being hit, some guy yelling over a foul called on him, the sound of laughter etc..but i will myself to tune it out and i play the shot. ..now you drop down with your ear plugs on..all u hear is the smooth rythmic sound of your breathing ..and you play your shot. Would you have made that shot if you had to tune out all that i had to tune out? We wont know at all now will we..heheh But as for me personally i dont wear em..and i dont really care if the person im playing wears em... Im gona play the table no matter who i play.. just my two cents

You are absolutely correct about ear plugs creating an unfair advantage for a player. It is the same for a jump cue, a glove on a humid day, a scuffer when their tip is no longer holding chalk well or some fine sandpaper to remove accumulated residue. But all of these items are available to any player who wants to spend the money and chooses to use them. The cost of earplugs is probably less than any of those items except for a piece of sandpaper so it affordable, practical and so far NO ONE HAS PRESENTED A GOOD SOLID REASON for banning the use of earplugs. Thanks for your input.
JoeyA
JoeyA

JoeyA

Silver Member
seymore15074 said:
...there, I fixed your sentence up for you. :p

Seymore, stop this silly stuff already.
Don't go getting Jude on me or I'll sic my cue case monkey on you.

JoeyA

MrLucky

Pool Fanatic!!
Silver Member
JoeyA said:
No ear plugs allowed. That's the rule at the U.S. Amateur Championship.

With the controversy that happens with competitors making remarks to goad their opponent into emotional outbursts, you would think that ear plugs would be allowed.

What are your thoughts AZ?

JoeyA
:) The concern is in regard to you getting coached electronically hence no ear buds / plugs blue tooth headphones...... etcetera sadly there are players that will try to take any advantage possible and with the advent of new smaller ear devices they are all banned!

jamesroberts

"Unheralded Amateur"
Silver Member
ScottW said:
It's not hard. Some mp3 players also have radio receivers in them. And cheap, light radio TRANSMITTERS are available. Just agree on an unused freq, and have the spotter sitting somewhere within sight of the table, but not too close to folks that they can hear what the spotter is saying.

i find it hard to believe that anyone that considers themselves a real pool player would want someone in there ear tellin em what to do on every shot ........it seems that would be extremely distracting

cuechick

Flys In the Kitchen
Silver Member
jamesroberts said:
i find it hard to believe that anyone that considers themselves a real pool player would want someone in there ear tellin em what to do on every shot ........it seems that would be extremely distracting

Tap Tap Tap!

I also find this idea just ludicrous. I use mine to drown out all the noise and chatter around me. And as Joey A. very wisely pointed out, this is no different then any other accessories out there, like gloves, powder and tip tapers. We all find what works for us. You too can have this "advantage" by getting your own! Though some people find they need to hear the tap of the balls. It is a very personal kind of thing.
I also am very aware of my opponent and remove one of my headphones if I think they need to push or call a shot....More so, I have no doubt, than someone sitting there talking to their friends as they play.

If a particular tournament does not allow them, I am fine with that. Most tournaments that don't, are fairly serious and the players are fairly respectful of each other. Though, this weekend there was guy who had to be asked on two separate occasions to leave the tournament area when he was just hanging out right next to matches being played and talking very loudly. Some people are just truly clueless! I was also a little surprised when I played in the pro event in Florida, how much you could hear the people sitting in the VIP seats and even the first couple of rows of the stands.

catscradle

<< 2 all-time greats
Silver Member
SpiderWebComm said:
Sandman, this is Viper Command. Duck on the 3-ball. I repeat, duck on the 3-ball!

Viper Command, this is Sandman. I think I can run out. Over.

Sandman, Viper Command. That's a negative. Repeat, negative on the run-out. Play safe.

LOL........

Flex

Banger
Silver Member
jamesroberts said:

What about the stake horse who wants his horse to dump a bit, or call him off a shot that is way too risky in a particular situation?

I can see that kind of stuff happening.

seymore15074

So what are you saying?
Silver Member
Flex said:
What about the stake horse who wants his horse to dump a bit, or call him off a shot that is way too risky in a particular situation?

I can see that kind of stuff happening.

I find it amazing that so many feel that tournament players are just a bunch of puppets all on strings.

Cuebacca

________
Silver Member
seymore15074 said:
I find it amazing that so many feel that tournament players are just a bunch of puppets all on strings.

I don't think anyone is claiming that you're going to see half the field getting shot-by-shot advice though their iPods. I doubt it would happen at all at this tournament, but perhaps one or two teams at a big league team event might be involved in some kind of nonsense like that.

I think it's safe to say that coaching would generally not make a difference in a match between an A player and a C player when there is no weight involved.

However, it could make a difference in a close match if the worst player is getting coached by one of the better players on their team. I've seen plenty of beginners lose games where they might have won had they recognized the easy safety instead of playing the ridiculous Hail Mary shot.

This, I would think, is the main reason why there is no coaching allowed.

Regarding basic foam ear plugs, I have no problem if someone wants to use those, but personally I wouldn't choose to use them.... at least, not yet.

Jude Rosenstock

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Cuebacca said:
I don't think anyone is claiming that you're going to see half the field getting shot-by-shot advice though their iPods. I doubt it would happen at all at this tournament, but perhaps one or two teams at a big league team event might be involved in some kind of nonsense like that.

I think it's safe to say that coaching would generally not make a difference in a match between an A player and a C player when there is no weight involved.

However, it could make a difference in a close match if the worst player is getting coached by one of the better players on their team. I've seen plenty of beginners lose games where they might have won had they recognized the easy safety instead of playing the ridiculous Hail Mary shot.

This, I would think, is the main reason why there is no coaching allowed.

Regarding basic foam ear plugs, I have no problem if someone wants to use those, but personally I wouldn't choose to use them.... at least, not yet.

Yeah, this pretty much summarizes my beliefs and concerns. I play in a few handicapped team leagues and signaling has always been a problem. What's more, it's not uncommon to have the occasional BlueTool (one who insists on wearing a BlueTooth headset ALL THE TIME) on a team. Personally, I think this is unacceptable.

worldison2

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Smorgass Bored said:
When I encounter someone wearing ear plugs while I'm playing pool or poker with them, I'll point at the table and move my lips (without saying anything). At the poker table, I'll point at the pot/cards on the table and while fondling my stack of chips, I'll also move my lips (as if talking).

My opponents will say, "WHAT?" and I'll do it again. Eventually they will remove their ear plugs and say, "Huh?, What?" and THEN I'll say, "Nevermind".....

Doug
(much like I do here on AZB ) :)

Full credit to Smorgass for this one! I don't like my opponents wearing headphones....not because I'm concerned about them cheating...just because it's just frigging RUDE!!!!
I've always wondered how to handle these people, and this is the perfect solution. Smorgass.....you're the greatest. I am now looking forward to the next time I run into this situation in a tournament. Thanks for the tip.