US Selections for the 9 ball World Championship

ginsu

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I was wondering why Danny Harriman was not picked as one of the representatives for the USA. I think you could make a good case that his record over the past year has been better then some of those who have selected. What do you think? Does Danny deserve to be invited?

Kid Dynomite

Dennis (Michael) Wilson
Silver Member
Good Question!

But, be careful you just might get an answer and it may not be what you want to hear!

They have wrestled with this question numerous times on this forum and the bottom line is the leaders do "what they want to do". Fact is Charlie, Earl, Jeremy Jones & Tony Robles have not played well in years and that is my opinion!!

but, I will let you the readers make up your own mind why they got invites!!!!

Just look at the last few tournaments that they played in and they are not even in the top 16. None of them! The fact that there are such few major events, slots and sponsors and the players are all fighting for their livelyhood.

It just may be not what you know or how well you play but who you know and that is true in every occupation. If they truely wanted to eliminate any political manipulation you just send the top 16 placed USA players at the end of the open. That way, there is an equal oppertunity for all.

Kid
Dynomite

smashmouth

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
the WPA should step in here, how can people involved in the selection process be allowed to select themselve's?

WPA should just take matters into their own hands and send out their own invitations, pick the final 12 at the US open and be done with it

Roy Steffensen

locksmith
Silver Member
smashmouth said:
the WPA should step in here, how can people involved in the selection process be allowed to select themselve's?

WPA should just take matters into their own hands and send out their own invitations, pick the final 12 at the US open and be done with it

The US should get a tour based on the biggest tournaments, then pick the final 12 based on rankingpoints from those tournaments...

It's the system the Eurotour use. The top 25 are guaranteed a spot in the World Championship, no matter what country you come from. To finish top 25 you need many good finishes on the 7 eurotours with 250 players each time... The top 25 really deserves it

smashmouth

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
yes but your system is not feasible at this time seeing as there is no proper tour

The WPA can easily create a system as simple as the one I mentioned earlier

how the hell did the UPA even get WPA sanctioning as the be all/end all when it comes to this matter?

this is why the WPA is just as useless, they've neglected the once biggest market in the entire sport

ginsu

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
smashmouth said:

Seems as good or better then how they are doing it. USA gets 15 invites.

9balllvr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
smashmouth said:

i am curious who you think is involved in the selection process that has chosen themselves? please elaborate. thanks.

Fragged

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Kid Dynomite said:
Good Question!

If they truely wanted to eliminate any political manipulation you just send the top 16 placed USA players at the end of the open. That way, there is an equal oppertunity for all.

Kid
Dynomite

.....The top 16 placed in what? What tournaments count? Which ones are worth more than the next one. Who decides?

.....Half the no hearts selected wont go anyway- Just wait until you see the final group. Anyone want to bet me Frank Alvarez does not represent the USA in the end?

9balllvr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
smashmouth said:
uhh Charlie Williams, for one

Charlie is not associated with the UPA other than promoting events, he hasn't been for quite some time - it still amazes me that people think he is a part of the organization. the UPA seeding rankings are used to determine their players and the others players come from various avenues (for example, representatives from Mosconi Cup, etc). how do you get that Charlie would have input into the players being sent when he is not affiliated with the organization that makes those decisions?

IamCalvin06

Yang "The Son of Pool"
Silver Member
I AGREE that Danny Harriman should be in the WPC representing the USA.

I also think Stevie Moore is another candidate that would represent us well.

I have made numerous comments about WHO the US should have out there representing us, but no one has ever given me any feed back.

I hope that one of these great players gets a chance. :)

crosseyedjoe

Anywhere but here
Silver Member
IamCalvin06 said:
I AGREE that Danny Harriman should be in the WPC representing the USA.

I also think Stevie Moore is another candidate that would represent us well.

I have made numerous comments about WHO the US should have out there representing us, but no one has ever given me any feed back.

I hope that one of these great players gets a chance. :)

If you want your favorite players to be invited tell them to join more UPA sanctioned tournaments to accumulate points.

John Barton

crosseyedjoe said:
If you want your favorite players to be invited tell them to join more UPA sanctioned tournaments to accumulate points.

If only it were that easy. Some people aren't playing in the UPA who are otherwise qualified because the UPA has not gotten them paid for UPA sanctioned events - which was a cornerstone of the UPA's promise to the players.

Other players are not "invited" to certain events which carry ranking points.

Other players can't fade the high expenses vs. low prize money.

Kid Dynomite

Dennis (Michael) Wilson
Silver Member
Tap Tap

Tap Tap

Very Well Put There John!!!

I think you earned a star for that one/ Lets see if I can figure out how to assign rep points!

Kid
Dynomite

D

Danny Harriman

Thanks for the plug

I would like to say thanks for all of the nice compliments that I have received on this forum, I am not too ticked off that I will not be representing the USA at the World 9 ball Championships. Everything happens for a reason right? Anyway thanks again for everyone out there who has ever said a prayer for Danny boy - or even if you didn't boo when I won a match. Just for the record I think that 9 ball is a game for small time gamblers, I'm fond of 9 ball as I once too was a small time gambler and from time to " " still am. I feel more comfortable in an all - around format, and so I will see yall' in Louisville for what is in my opinion "real pool."
Sincerely, Danny Harriman (The Springfield Rifle)

Snap9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Nice reply sir!!!!

Danny Harriman said:
I would like to say thanks for all of the nice compliments that I have received on this forum, I am not too ticked off that I will not be representing the USA at the World 9 ball Championships. Everything happens for a reason right? Anyway thanks again for everyone out there who has ever said a prayer for Danny boy - or even if you didn't boo when I won a match. Just for the record I think that 9 ball is a game for small time gamblers, I'm fond of 9 ball as I once too was a small time gambler and from time to " " still am. I feel more comfortable in an all - around format, and so I will see yall' in Louisville for what is in my opinion "real pool."
Sincerely, Danny Harriman (The Springfield Rifle)

Well spoken and to the point. I commend you for being professional and forthright with your words. 9-ball is slowly become an inferior game. 10-ball will become the staple for future tournaments since it shows the complete competency of the winning player. And yes I agree on something like an overall champion(Like Derby) shows the complete pool playing package.

Good luck sir with your future tournaments.

Thanks, Scott

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Snap9 said:
9-ball is slowly become an inferior game. 10-ball will become the staple for future tournaments since it shows the complete competency of the winning player.

It just amazes me that I continue finding people on AZB advancing this argument. With due respect, nine ball is doing just fine weeding out the elite. Nine ball's last four major championships brought us these four finals:

United States Open 2006 - Schmidt over Luat
World Pool Championship 2006 - Alcano over Souquet
Derby City Classic 2007 - Feijen over Luat
BCA "Enjoypool.com" Open 2007 - Orcullo over Van Boening

9 ball continues to identify the elite with accuracy and clarity. It's not holding any of the elite back. The suggestion that 10-ball is a measure of "complete competency" and 9 ball is not is far from evident in the tournament results we've seen.

Last edited: