Very honest 23-minute video interview w/ John Schmidt about the 626 run and career

BC21

https://www.playpoolbetter.com
Gold Member
Silver Member
There's a reason there's no Mosconi run video available.

Video equipment 1950's vs today.

Lou Figueroa

Lol... and a person couldn't make a phone a call or send a text message with one of those bulky cameras. Imagine if they could have... a man walking down the street with a 4ft camera phone/telegraph machine strapped to his back. All he'd have to do is plug into the nearest line drop anytime he wanted to make a call or send a message.

haystj

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Anyone know how I can watch the run of 626?

Are there copies for sale?

I'd buy one.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I cannot recall a sports world record achieved after film was invented that is not readily available for view by the the public....with the exception of the one "claimed" by JS.
From da bob...
Yeah, right, Guinness pool records....

Longest duration balancing a pool cue on one finger
The longest duration balancing a pool cue on one finger is 4 hr 20 min and was achieved by David…

Greatest distance travelled with cue balanced on a finger
The greatest distance travelled with cue balanced on a finger is 32.4 km (20.13 mi) and was achieved…

Fastest 100 m balancing a pool cue on finger
The fastest 100 m balancing a pool cue on a finger is 16.02 sec and was achieved by David Rush (USA)…

Greatest distance travelled with a pool cue balanced on chin
The greatest distance travelled with a pool cue balanced on the chin is 3,300 m (10,826 ft 9 in),…
And Guinness does not recognize Willie Mosconi's 526. Florian Kohler seems to have more pool records than anyone, including:

The fastest time to jump pot 15 balls on a US table one-handed is 12.16 sec, and was achieved by Florian Kohler (France) in Las Vegas, Nevada, USA, on 16 December 2018.

jimmyg

Mook! What's a Mook?
Silver Member
Originally Posted by jimmyg View Post
I cannot recall a sports world record achieved after film was invented that is not readily available for view by the the public....with the exception of the one "claimed" by JS.

From da bob...

Originally Posted by Bob Jewett View Post
Yeah, right, Guinness pool records....

Longest duration balancing a pool cue on one finger
The longest duration balancing a pool cue on one finger is 4 hr 20 min and was achieved by David…

Greatest distance travelled with cue balanced on a finger
The greatest distance travelled with cue balanced on a finger is 32.4 km (20.13 mi) and was achieved…

Fastest 100 m balancing a pool cue on finger
The fastest 100 m balancing a pool cue on a finger is 16.02 sec and was achieved by David Rush (USA)…

Greatest distance travelled with a pool cue balanced on chin
The greatest distance travelled with a pool cue balanced on the chin is 3,300 m (10,826 ft 9 in),…

And Guinness does not recognize Willie Mosconi's 526. Florian Kohler seems to have more pool records than anyone, including:

The fastest time to jump pot 15 balls on a US table one-handed is 12.16 sec, and was achieved by Florian Kohler (France) in Las Vegas, Nevada, USA, on 16 December 2018.

Impressive records from an impressive publication, indeed ...and all on video, I presume.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
My first serious game was golf.
The one shot I’d like to see is a 360 yard drive, made with a hickory-shafted club and a
feathered-filled golf ball. I assume it was early 1800s, because around the middle of the
that century, gotta percha golf balls came into being.
I wonder if someone back then wrote in that elaborate cursive style....
...Paintings, or it didn’t happen!

I guess I’d still like to see a video of the 626, but I don’t think I want to go to a special viewing.
It’s the kind of thing I’d watch an hour at a time.
I was hoping he would make a deal with Pat Fleming....I think there would be a world wide
interest.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
... It’s the kind of thing I’d watch an hour at a time.
... .
I think you would enjoy it with live commentary by John. Everyone in the viewing I went to (just before the covid) stuck around after the finish to visit. I enjoyed it and I had already seen the video. I had also already seen a couple of 400-ball runs by John live.

Last edited:

one stroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Point I was trying to make, Bob, was Mosconi's run was not filmed, JS's was. Still think that it was pretty clear.

Perhaps I should have said "when most everyone had filming capabilities".

What's pretty clear is it's not pretty clear by any stretch of the imagination

westcoast

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think he likely accomplished the feat, but he should have released the video a long time ago. It is absurd. He could have easily made it available for a nominal fee