Videos of Members Playing the Ghost??

buckshotshoey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Break. BIH after the break. NO penalty if you scratch on the break. Its BIH regardless. Nothing spots on the break, scratch or no scratch. If you win the game, its a point. If you miss or foul after the break, its a loss.

Early 9 ball combos ARE wins.

These are the standard rules as I've seen them gambled locally.

Might be worthwhile to put a qualifier that 9 on the snap only counts in the back 4 pockets. Thats how most rack your own 9 ball tournaments are played now.

Ok. Anything less then a run out starting with ball in hand is a loss. Got it.

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Its also important statistically that you have to actually "play" a race to 9. (or 5 or 10 or whatever). You can't just endlessly play racks all day, and if you happen to have a great string where you won 9 games and lost 2, post a score of 9-2. Actually starting and ending a race is much different from a score keeping standpoint than just playing racks all day.

fathomblue

Rusty Shackleford
Silver Member
I would propose this:

Race to 9.
BIH after the break.
Scratch on the break IS a loss.
All balls pocketed on the break stay down, except the 9B spots if pocketed in the bottom corners.

9B on the break wins the game, if it falls in the sides or top corners.
Do not have to make a ball on the break. Just can't foul.
A 9B combo is a win.
Don't have to call any pockets.
Any miss, scratch, or CB foul is a loss (BCA rules apply on a foul in the path of the CB).
No concessions. You have a hanger on the 9B? You pocket it.

Did any forget anything? Any discussions or disagreements with those?

Last edited:

victorl

Where'd my stroke go?
Silver Member
I like the "scratch on the break is a loss" rule, but I know many people play it as "not a loss", so we might need some agreement on that.

buckshotshoey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yep.... that's why I asked about the terms. Playing ghost probably has many different ways to play.....kind of like bar rules in 8 ball. It seems many areas around the country play it a little different.

Dockter

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm going to try to join in on this if I can get my phone at a good angle and I don't have to move it all over while I'm shooting although I rarely play 9 ball.

I like scratch on the break is a loss because in most cases it would be anyway... Just my .02

fathomblue

Rusty Shackleford
Silver Member
I'd like to add another facet. You will be graded on your background mood music.

1 = your musical choices make my ears bleed. I'd rather hear two cats fukc.

10 = your tunes rock and I hope you like me enough to make me a mix-tape.

victorl

Where'd my stroke go?
Silver Member
The place where I usually play has The Best of Rod Stewart on a 24/7 loop, where would that rank?

fathomblue

Rusty Shackleford
Silver Member
I just watched Nick's entire set. He lost 9-5.

With that said, if it weren't for some self-inflicted wounds, he would have been a serious Ghostbuster (hey, wouldn't that be a great logo for AZ members that do the deed!).

He jawed the 9B on 2-3 occasions. Twice, for sure, were the exact same shots. That's one to practice. The only rack that he really would have had a tough time getting out of was where the 2B and 8B were snugged up together on the opening shot.

He did scratch on one break and played thru it. Where I'm from, that's a loss, but I'm sure it's a regional thing.

I have to say this. I met Nick at the 2012 Southern Classic, I believe. Whichever one that Landon Shuffett drilled Earl, I think.

Anyway, I watched him hit a few balls for a bit. Then I slyly observed him work with Gene Albrecht for a while. Nick looks like he's 4 balls better now than just that short time ago. Originally I wouldn't have been scared of him. Now....I'd need serious weight.

Props to you, Nick, for solidifying your game.

I rate you as a very, very solid B+ player. If you had made those 9B's that you jawed, I think you might be teetering on "A" player status.

For "Background Mood Music", I'll give you a 6.

Your tunes started out rough, but Queen and The Eagles, plus some 80's Metal made it tolerable. If we went on a roadtrip together, I'd jam on a few songs with you, then attempt to drift off to sleep during the lesser tunes.

What does everyone else rate him as?

mamics

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'll vote for the simplest (easiest / purest ?) rules version of playing the ghost.

1. BIH after the break
2. Scratch on the break is ok (ie. *not* a point for the ghost)
3. Potting the 9 on the break is a win (any pocket).
4. Combo on the 9 at any time is a win.
5. Slop is ok.
6. Any other miss or foul is a point for the ghost.

My .02

Cheers.

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I just watched Nick's entire set. He lost 9-5.

With that said, if it weren't for some self-inflicted wounds, he would have been a serious Ghostbuster (hey, wouldn't that be a great logo for AZ members that do the deed!).

He jawed the 9B on 2-3 occasions. Twice, for sure, were the exact same shots. That's one to practice. The only rack that he really would have had a tough time getting out of was where the 2B and 8B were snugged up together on the opening shot.

He did scratch on one break and played thru it. Where I'm from, that's a loss, but I'm sure it's a regional thing.

I have to say this. I met Nick at the 2012 Southern Classic, I believe. Whichever one that Landon Shuffett drilled Earl, I think.

Anyway, I watched him hit a few balls for a bit. Then I slyly observed him work with Gene Albrecht for a while. Nick looks like he's 4 balls better now than just that short time ago. Originally I wouldn't have been scared of him. Now....I'd need serious weight.

Props to you, Nick, for solidifying your game.

I rate you as a very, very solid B+ player. If you had made those 9B's that you jawed, I think you might be teetering on "A" player status.

For "Background Mood Music", I'll give you a 6.

Your tunes started out rough, but Queen and The Eagles, plus some 80's Metal made it tolerable. If we went on a roadtrip together, I'd jam on a few songs with you, then attempt to drift off to sleep during the lesser tunes.

What does everyone else rate him as?

Ha, thanks for watching. I can't believe you sat through it all. Lol.

The tunes were from iTunes streaming. I think I selected nine inch nails as a station and iTunes did the mixing. I'm not happy about their mixing to be honest.

BasementDweller

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I like a race to 7 better. Of course a race to 9 is a better indicator of actual skill level but the video gets to be too long at some point.

Like mamics, I like keeping the rules simple too. With the one exception of the nine counting on the break. I would say it needs to respot AND there shouldn't be a constant drifting of the 9 ball on the break towards the corner pocket, since this is usually due to faulty racking and nobody wants to see a bunch of easy 9 ball combinations.

I've also recently been messing around with recording some sessions on my phone and Vimeo works much better when it comes uploading larger files. At least for me it does.

Here's a lucky 5 in a row against the ghost. It even includes the free chip crunching sound track that fathomblue will appreciate.

I'll try to record some longer matches over the Holidays and include them in a thread if one gets started.

http://vimeo.com/114782362

victorl

Where'd my stroke go?
Silver Member
Nice shooting basementdweller! You look like you've changed to more of a snooker stance since the last time I watched one of your videos. Good stuff!

JohnPT

"Prove it!"
Silver Member
9ball ghost quickie video: http://youtu.be/ifrA4eNF69A

Sorry it is not new. My tablet is out of commision and this was the last video I was able to make. Just thought somebody might appreciate watching some nobody shoot a bit.

I edited out parts of me walking around but the full video and some other videos are on my playlist if you click on my youtube user name.

Last edited:

eddie0776

Bishop Cues
Silver Member
I have some on youtube but had the same problem as others with it not letting me load a video longer than 8 min in think. As far as rules go should you be allowed to use the majic rack or is any rack ok?

mamics

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I will be using the magic rack.
Sloppy racking to aid potting the 9 on the break or drifting the 9-ball towards a corner on the break will be evident from the videos and should rightly get a big boo-hiss from the crowd. :)

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'd also vote for any rack is fine, pattern racking is fine, and a Corey soft break circa 2001 is fine.

This is all to have fun. No need to make difficult rules.

The hardest part will be for people to participate.

I'm also personally leaning towards no video required, but encouraged. The reason for this is participation.

victorl

Where'd my stroke go?
Silver Member
I'd also vote for any rack is fine, pattern racking is fine, and a Corey soft break circa 2001 is fine.

This is all to have fun. No need to make difficult rules.

The hardest part will be for people to participate.

I'm also personally leaning towards no video required, but encouraged. The reason for this is participation.

+1 to all of the above!