Videos of Members Playing the Ghost??

SmoothStroke

Swim for the win.
Silver Member
9ball ghost quickie video: http://youtu.be/ifrA4eNF69A

Sorry it is not new. My tablet is out of commision and this was the last video I was able to make. Just thought somebody might appreciate watching some nobody shoot a bit.

I edited out parts of me walking around but the full video and some other videos are on my playlist if you click on my youtube user name.

Great Mechanics, great delivery, watched one rack, that's all I needed.

JohnPT

"Prove it!"
Silver Member
Very solid shooting, I enjoyed that.
I also really like how only the table is illuminated so it looks like its just you and the table.

Very cool setup!
Thank you. There were a couple more racks after that but apparently there is a limit with how many times you can cut out parts of the video with youtube.

9andout

Gunnin' for a 3 pack!!
Silver Member
Do you guys think video proof should be required? The straight pool thread goes on honesty, and when someone posts a video that's just a bonus.
I think this idea is the easiest to start with.
The thread will get going faster.

CJ Wiley

ESPN WORLD OPEN CHAMPION
Gold Member
Silver Member
The magic rack makes the game too easy.

That's funny, and so true. The magic rack makes the game too easy.

When "playing the 9 Ball ghost" we can't use the "magic rack" because it becomes the "8 Ball ghost" (the corner ball is dead, which leaves 8 or less balls).

I would suggest anyone tying to prove they can "beat the ghost" to use a regular rack and stay away from "pattern racking," it also dilutes the challenge of the test. If you use the "magic rack" at least spot the corner ball if it goes straight in the corner.

I will be using the magic rack.
Sloppy racking to aid potting the 9 on the break or drifting the 9-ball towards a corner on the break will be evident from the videos and should rightly get a big boo-hiss from the crowd. :)

9andout

Gunnin' for a 3 pack!!
Silver Member

When "playing the 9 Ball ghost" we can't use the "magic rack" because it becomes the "8 Ball ghost" (the corner ball is dead, which leaves 8 or less balls).

I would suggest anyone tying to prove they can "beat the ghost" to use a regular rack and stay away from "pattern racking," it also dilutes the challenge of the test. If you use the "magic rack" at least spot the corner ball if it goes straight in the corner.
True. I like the idea of spotting the corner ball. Makes it fair.
And my cloth can stay nice and puurty........

9andout

Gunnin' for a 3 pack!!
Silver Member
BTW I've beat the 9 ball ghost a few times!!
.............But they were races to one.:D
I prefer to call them sudden death matches! The ghost doesn't like that!!

CJ Wiley

ESPN WORLD OPEN CHAMPION
Gold Member
Silver Member
You can if you want, but it's like stacking the deck to play solitaire.

The magic rack has turned 9 Ball into 8, or even 7 Ball. The corner ball is wired to the corner pocket.....it goes virtually every time.

I don't think we should even call the game 9 Ball if there's no more than 8 balls on the table to start the actual game.

Also, pattern racking is not allowed when playing the ghost. You can if you want, but it's like stacking the deck to play solitaire.... taking away from the challenge of the test.
spider_01.png

True. I like the idea of spotting the corner ball. Makes it fair.
And my cloth can stay nice and puurty........

mamics

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Personally, I haven't got sick & tired of running (easy & boring) multiple packs against the ghost just yet. (thanx to the magic rack) :-D

If you can beat the ghost (with magic rack) - feel free to then step it up to the next level (no magic rack, no pattern racking) ?

Cheers.

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
Is there a thread with videos of members here playing the 6,7,9,or 10 ball ghost? If there is could someone post a link to it. I think we need a separate forum for videos like this.
As others have pointed out, a large collection videos of AZB users playing the ghost (10-ball ghost and 15-ball ghost) can be found in the Billiard University (BU) playing-ability thread.

If people want to post scores (and videos if available) for either the 10-ball-ghost rating drill or the 15-ball-ghost rating drill, or both, I would be happy to add scores (and video links if available) on the BU thread.

It would be helpful if the posters also try the BU playing-ability drills and posts scores (and videos if available), but it is not required.

Good luck,
Dave

PS: I hope people interested in this thread will also consider trying the BU drills. And if you do, please consider posting scores (and videos if available) on the BU thread.

Last edited:

CJ Wiley

ESPN WORLD OPEN CHAMPION
Gold Member
Silver Member
Pattern racking is like "stacking the deck" playing cards

Playing the "6 Ball Ghost" would be more difficult than the magic rack/pattern rack combo.....the beautiful part of the pool game is the endless ball patterns, let this happen naturally, it's an essential part of the "beating the ghost" challenge.

Pattern racking is like "stacking the deck" playing cards, if there's no money involved what would be the point? .... if there is money involved it's called something else.

Personally, I haven't got sick & tired of running (easy & boring) multiple packs against the ghost just yet. (thanx to the magic rack) :-D

If you can beat the ghost (with magic rack) - feel free to then step it up to the next level (no magic rack, no pattern racking) ?

Cheers.

Jaden

"no buds chill"
Silver Member
Well then...

The magic rack has turned 9 Ball into 8, or even 7 Ball. The corner ball is wired to the corner pocket.....it goes virtually every time.

I don't think we should even call the game 9 Ball if there's no more than 8 balls on the table to start the actual game.

Also, pattern racking is not allowed when playing the ghost. You can if you want, but it's like stacking the deck to play solitaire.... taking away from the challenge of the test.
spider_01.png

Well, then I guess Shane is just playing 6 or 7 ball while everyone around him is playing ten ball...:thumbup:

Jaden

Neil

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Some people like the rule of all balls frozen. Magic rack and Sardo rack do just that. No way to gaff the rack like some are want to do. No problem with bad racks of balls not frozen when racking for yourself.

The wing ball going is a result of the shape and position of the rack, just like the one going in the side is. It's not a result of magic or sardo racks in and of themselves.

Why do you try and make it look like making a ball on the break is a bad thing? That is what everyone is trying to do. You have to be a moron not to. If you are so concerned about a ball going on the break, then simply spot it up if it goes. Any ball, if it goes. But, then that kind of defeats the purpose of even breaking at all, doesn't it?

CJ Wiley

ESPN WORLD OPEN CHAMPION
Gold Member
Silver Member
Right now the breaking and racking portion of 9 Ball is the most important.

Yes, that's true, and although the break should mean something, it shouldn't mean everything. With Shane breaking there's a number of players that could be "the best in the country"......it's not that way in golf because there's a lot of challenges after the "DRIVE" (equivalent to pool's break shot), and with equipment changes the golf officials have made the holes longer and tighter, unlike pool that is much easier now than 20 years ago.

Right now the breaking and racking portion of 9 Ball is the most important. I'm not the only one that sees this as "out of line," not just for the competition, for the entertainment value.

Shane's a great player, but there's just so many easy racks I can watch. Nothing against Shane, it would be true in any sport or game.......people love to see difficult shots, not easy ones. Watching a rack of 10 ball ran after making 4 balls and hanging the one in the corner is monotonous. My hat's off to you if you can watch more than a few games......it's tough.

Well, then I guess Shane is just playing 6 or 7 ball while everyone around him is playing ten ball...:thumbup:

Jaden

CJ Wiley

ESPN WORLD OPEN CHAMPION
Gold Member
Silver Member
he could make the "corner ball" 100 times in a row and would bet on it

There's no way to gaff a magic rack? It's actually much easier, there's little doubt.

Shane told a friend of mine in Reno that he could make the "corner ball" 100 times in a row and would bet on it....he would have no chance of doing this with a regular rack.

Some people like the rule of all balls frozen. Magic rack and Sardo rack do just that. No way to gaff the rack like some are want to do. No problem with bad racks of balls not frozen when racking for yourself.

The wing ball going is a result of the shape and position of the rack, just like the one going in the side is. It's not a result of magic or sardo racks in and of themselves.

Why do you try and make it look like making a ball on the break is a bad thing? That is what everyone is trying to do. You have to be a moron not to. If you are so concerned about a ball going on the break, then simply spot it up if it goes. Any ball, if it goes. But, then that kind of defeats the purpose of even breaking at all, doesn't it?

Neil

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There's no way to gaff a magic rack? It's actually much easier, there's little doubt.

Shane told a friend of mine in Reno that he could make the "corner ball" 100 times in a row and would bet on it....he would have no chance of doing this with a regular rack.

That's not gaffing, that's flat out skill. Shane has the ability to hit the one at the same spot and the same speed 100 times in a row. Mills did it 82 times in a row with a regular rack.

Neil

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yes, that's true, and although the break should mean something, it shouldn't mean everything. With Shane breaking there's a number of players that could be "the best in the country"......it's not that way in golf because there's a lot of challenges after the "DRIVE" (equivalent to pool's break shot), and with equipment changes the golf officials have made the holes longer and tighter, unlike pool that is much easier now than 20 years ago.

Right now the breaking and racking portion of 9 Ball is the most important. I'm not the only one that sees this as "out of line," not just for the competition, for the entertainment value.

Shane's a great player, but there's just so many easy racks I can watch. Nothing against Shane, it would be true in any sport or game.......people love to see difficult shots, not easy ones. Watching a rack of 10 ball ran after making 4 balls and hanging the one in the corner is monotonous. My hat's off to you if you can watch more than a few games......it's tough.

If pool is so easy and boring to you, maybe you should just go play golf.

Odd how any player states that racking and the break are the most important. Making the 9 has always been, and will continue to be the most important shot in 9 ball.

You say the top guys make the rest of the rack too easy to bother watching, yet, when a few have the skill to make the break easy, you complain about it being broken. If you hate 9 ball so much, simply don't play it.

Also odd how you always talk about the beauty of the game, sell DVD's to break it all down to essentially taking just one type of shot, then at the same time complain about how it is too easy and boring to watch. Maybe you just don't bother to see the beauty in others skills??

mamics

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
When we start our official thread should I start out with the 6 ball or 7 ball ghost?

Bangers like us Allen should start out with the 9 ball ghost, magic rack & pattern racking.

The 6 ball ghost is much tougher to beat apparently and is maybe best left to the pro's

:grin:

Cheers.

Allen Brown

Pool Whale
Silver Member
Bangers like us Allen should start out with the 9 ball ghost, magic rack & pattern racking.

The 6 ball ghost is much tougher to beat apparently and is maybe best left to the pro's

:grin:

Cheers.

:rotflmao1::rotflmao1: I think I will go for the gusto and play the ghost some 15 ball rotation for 100 a rack.