What cue are you using?

tedkaufman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Last I saw you (granted, it was probably 10 years ago), you had a really pretty South West. Do you still have it. If not, what are you shooting with? Do you use a solid wood shaft or laminated?

I hope you can make it down this way (Greenville, SC). Compared to NYC, it's incredible how much more action there is here, and how much easier it is to make a decent game.

ginky

Professional Pool Player
Silver Member
tedkaufman said:
Last I saw you (granted, it was probably 10 years ago), you had a really pretty South West. Do you still have it. If not, what are you shooting with? Do you use a solid wood shaft or laminated?

I hope you can make it down this way (Greenville, SC). Compared to NYC, it's incredible how much more action there is here, and how much easier it is to make a decent game.

right now im using a skip weston cue... he is in the process of making an amazing cue for me.. i have both a solid wood shaft and a laminated shaft for the cue... but i use the solid wood most of the time... i dont have a few of my south west cues lying around as well as many others, so i must have it. i dont exactly know which particular one your talking about because all the south west cues ive had we great and unique

tedkaufman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've heard good things about Skip Weston's cues, but haven't ever seen one in person and haven't hit one. But, given your preference for SW's over the years, you choosing Skip's cue is a great endorsement.

SUPERSTAR

I am Keyser Söze
Silver Member
I still think that the Paul Mottey that had offcolor points. Light and dark colors, alternating every other point and had GINKY scrimshawed in the Ivory windows on the Butt (1 letter per block if i remember correctly) was one of the prettiest cues i ever saw.

Granted, i have no clue what all cues owned looked like, but THAT was the one that made the biggest impression on me. Not to fancy, not to plain. Just so damn nice.

ginky

Professional Pool Player
Silver Member
SUPERSTAR said:
I still think that the Paul Mottey that had offcolor points. Light and dark colors, alternating every other point and had GINKY scrimshawed in the Ivory windows on the Butt (1 letter per block if i remember correctly) was one of the prettiest cues i ever saw.

Granted, i have no clue what all cues owned looked like, but THAT was the one that made the biggest impression on me. Not to fancy, not to plain. Just so damn nice.
paul mottey is one of the upper escholan cue makers in the country. right now i have a preference to skip weston. Skip Weston is relatively unknown but he makes a cue second to no one.

tedkaufman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
ginky said:
Skip Weston is relatively unknown but he makes a cue second to no one.

I just looked at Skip's website and read all the information about his cue construction ... sure sounds good. Can you compare Weston's cues to South West in terms of hit, resonance, feel, stiffness, etc? What joint design are you using and/or getting on your new one?

Fast Lenny

Faster Than You...
Silver Member
I have shot with a Skip and it hit pretty nice,my buddy let one go for really cheap,it was a 4 pointer with 3 shafts for like $700,i passed it up though.

ginky

Professional Pool Player
Silver Member
Fast Lenny said:
I have shot with a Skip and it hit pretty nice,my buddy let one go for really cheap,it was a 4 pointer with 3 shafts for like $700,i passed it up though.
so far his cue is one of the best ive played with.. i cant wait until the new one that him and i designed together is ready... ill post the pictures up once i receive it.

Fast Lenny

Faster Than You...
Silver Member
ginky said:
so far his cue is one of the best ive played with.. i cant wait until the new one that him and i designed together is ready... ill post the pictures up once i receive it.

I look forward to seeing the pics.Have you ever hit with a Phillippi?,im sure you have,what are your opinions on their cues?

briandlau

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Not too long ago, I saw you with a Tascarella sneaky with Hoppe style butt. Beautiful cue...

ridewiththewind

♥ Hippie Hustler ♥
Silver Member
ginky said:
... right now i have a preference to skip weston. Skip Weston is relatively unknown but he makes a cue second to no one.

A little bird (JoeVan) told me that you were now playing with one of Skip's cues. :cool: He is a bit more known here, but definitely under-rated, to be sure. It is nice to see his cues getting more appreciation than in the past...I have been a huge fan for a long time now.:) To any who have not seen one of his cues up close and personal...there really is no way to describe the caliber of work that goes into his cues...truly amazing! Not to mention, they're pretty sporty players too!!:D

There is a thread in the Cue Gallery for Skip's cues, please post pics of your new Skip there, as there are some of us that would just love to see what he's got up his sleeve for you!!!!:eek: :D

Take care and good shootin'!

Lisa

buddha162

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
ginky said:
right now im using a skip weston cue... he is in the process of making an amazing cue for me..

Very nice. I wonder if your cue will sport Skip's new prongs? Those forearm blanks just blew me away when he showed them to me...

-Roger (and btw, I believe Paul Fanelli developed the method and shared it with Skip...)

ginky

Professional Pool Player
Silver Member
i believe so. this cue is going to be one of a kind.. designed by me and spiced up by skip.

axejunkie

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
SUPERSTAR said:

I believe that cue is featured in Billiards Digest this month (I think Dec. - Efren's on the cover). Lizard wrap, pink ivory and ?? points with GINKY on the butt along with the Pittsburgh skyline.

SUPERSTAR

I am Keyser Söze
Silver Member
axejunkie said:
I believe that cue is featured in Billiards Digest this month (I think Dec. - Efren's on the cover). Lizard wrap, pink ivory and ?? points with GINKY on the butt along with the Pittsburgh skyline.

It could be the one!!!!

Someone needs to post a picture if they get their hands on it.

ChrisOnline

4 8 15 16 23 42
Silver Member
i remember seeing it for sale on ebay a long time ago...

but this is what i just turned up with a quick search....

found this on http://users.myexcel.com/HughTiernan/Bachmen/id17.htm

Custom made for George “Ginky” San Souci; the second cue built for him by Mottey. Used to win 1999 BCA Open and 1999 National 14.1 title, among others. This cue is pictured on the Ginky cover story in the July 1999 Billiards Digest. Six points: three long ivory points with ebony and pink ivorywood veneers alternating with three shorter points of pink ivorywood with ebony veneers; bird’s-eye maple forearm. The pink ivorywood butt sleeve has six ebony-veneered pink ivorywood windows with ivory ovals: five are scrimshawed with G-I-N-K-Y and the 6th is engraved with Mottey’s special ‘PM’ logo which puts on only his most select cues. Segmented black lizard wrap featuring ivory, pink ivorywood and ebony fancy ringwork. Piloted ivory joint and butt cap. 6 shafts (11.9-13.1 mm), two almost new. Weight 18.2 to 19.1 depending on shaft. Recently refinished by Mottey, in mint condition. Hand-written letter of authentication form George San Souci.

Attachments

• 23c1b3c0.jpg
    23c1b3c0.jpg
    11.3 KB · Views: 861

ChrisOnline

4 8 15 16 23 42
Silver Member
and last but not least.. the awesome butt sleeve...

chris

Attachments

• 23acecf0.jpg
    23acecf0.jpg
    17.4 KB · Views: 859

SUPERSTAR

I am Keyser Söze
Silver Member
Wow man, that cue is soooo sweet.

If i'm not mistaken, wasn't the FIRST cue built by Mottey a similar color/style?

Wasn't it 4 points instead of 6, but still with the same off color points?

Hmmmmmmm?