What to do with this layout?

stevekur1

The "COMMISH"
Silver Member
This comes all the time, for me in game situations each time i try something different with not alot of success...

Have to practice this one !!!
Steve

grady has been quoted as saying, this is one of the best spots to leave your opponent in, and i tend to agree !!!!

rbpwrd240

Sponsored Player
Silver Member
Might be bad but...

I would clip the 5 breaking off that corner and send the cue 3 rails back under the other side of the rack.

Paul Dayton

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just graze the 4 come off the 5 and bring the cue ball back to the rail where it started. The cloth will have a lot to do with how you play this shot. Faster is better.

Fenwick

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I would lightly graze the 10 ball and try to slow roll the cue ball to the far rail near the corner pocket.

Second choice is to hit the 10 ball full and freeze it against the rack.

Third choice take a intentional foul hitting the 10 ball lightly.

Dave Nelson

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I would go with Paul's solution. I think the cue ball would go 2 rails back to very close to where it started. I'm going downstairs and try it right now.

Dave Nelson

alinco

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I was concerned with grazing the back of the balls and coming back to near where I was. I felt the 15 might pop out. I also felt like I would have to hit the 5 a little fuller to get back to the end rail. I didn't consider catching the 4 right before the 5. I'll have to try that - seems like a good possiblity.

I didn't like going uptable just because of the 1 ball so close to the rack and not being able to hit a side rail and freeze on the end rail. Going straight at the end rail could easily be a foul or bounce off a few inches leaving the 1 ball.

I didn't like hitting the 10 ball full and freezing. Seems like the 10 would drift out the left and be open.

Taking a foul rolling into the 10 also seems like a good idea being sure to spread a couple balls out but not trying to get them to a rail.

So here's what I did. Not too sure about the shot selection. I kicked at the 1 ball expecting to hit it full and sending it one rail and near the end rail. The cue ball would drift towards the rack and freeze maybe moving a couple balls slightly.

What did happen was that I misjudged the kick and caught it real thin sending it safely toward the end rail. The cue barely missed the rack and went to the side rail and rolled back frozen against the 13 and 10. I looked like a genius but was really just lucky!

Andy

VinCro

Registered
I'm curious what you would do in this situation. The rack is totally undisturbed.

CueTable Help

Take a foul first just nudging cue ball and see if my opponent makes the first mistake. If not I like the thin 5 ball come back 2 or 3 rails and try to get cue ball close to where it was. According to the pros you should avoid going up table.

Dave Nelson

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well, here is how it worked for me, however, my table is an oversize 8 with simonis 760. It is fast. Trying the 4 ball with a little right english trying to go 2 rails didn't work. In order to get the english to take I had to hit to hard and over shot the desired position leaving 1 or even 2 open shots. I finally got a pretty good result by skinning the 5 with no english and a very soft hit.

I think that in this case the difference between an 8 ft with 760 and a 9 ft with 860 is so great that there is no comparison. I'll try it on my son's 9*860 when I get a chance. It's a good little drill for speed control

Dave Nelson