What's A Good Experimental Snooker Cue

mosconiac

Job+Wife+Child=No Stroke
Silver Member
I'm interested in getting a *cheap* snooker cue just to see what these things play like. I don't want to spend $400+ for a Parris just to experiment for a few hours...afterall snooker tables aren't exactly plentiful around here.

What I do not want is the equivalent of the thoroughly unplayable house cues you find hanging on the wall ("barabushka's" as we call them around here).

I do want something that is *somewhat* representative of a good cue, without emptying my pockets. An upgrade to a Parris would be in order if I like the experience.

I can get a homely Dufferin for $75 or less, but will it have any playability? I don't want the cuetec equivalent in snooker cues (yes I know they make 'em), but a McDermott equivalent would be nice. Upper limit on price is ~$100...maybe $125.

For example:
http://cgi.ebay.com/2-Piece-Dufferi...8427997QQihZ018QQcategoryZ21212QQcmdZViewItem
--or--
http://cgi.liveauctions.ebay.com/52...002QQitemZ120112041679QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

Any suggestions for a 2-peice that will fit in a typical pool case?

Maybe someone has a used cue from a reputable maker? :)

Last edited:

JLW

Dunder Mifflin Salesman
Silver Member
Interestingly enough, I just ordered that exact Dufferin cue a day or so ago. I've never had a Snooker cue, and I thought I'd buy a cheap one just for the hell of it. I'll let you know how it plays. I've played with cheap Dufferin pool cues, and they were actually pretty decent for the price.

Boro Nut

Moderrator
Silver Member
A good straight perfectly acceptable 1/2 or 3/4 ash snooker cue to last a lifetime would retail about £30 in the high street here. Pay more if you like hand splicing, fancy wood, recognisable name, telescopic extensions etc. In my opinion as long as the weight hasn't dropped out you can play half decent with anything that has a reasonable tip. It's the ten-bob tip on the end that makes a good snooker cue really.

Boro Nut

McChen

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
a lot of online shops in america sell an action elite snooker cue for $20. 1/2 jointed, ash shaft, 10mm tip, black hardwood butt, brass joint and brass ferrule. range of weights, i'd suggest 18oz. i got one just to mess around with and it's not a bad cue actually for the money! the tip is some generic thing, so put on an elkmaster or blue diamond and it will be quite decent.

you can get a few models of riley cues here too, they are ok. i have one i got for like $60-70, and actually i don't use it anymore so if you want to buy it, let me know.

you can get some dufferins if you look hard, cuetecs, and a scorpion. those are the only ones i know of without having to buy from overseas. i've bought a few cues from the UK and you will pay a LOT for shipping. so if you want something cheap to mess around with, you'll have to get it from a US place.

Johnson

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
McChen said:
a lot of online shops in america sell an action elite snooker cue for $20. 1/2 jointed, ash shaft, 10mm tip, black hardwood butt, brass joint and brass ferrule. range of weights, i'd suggest 18oz. i got one just to mess around with and it's not a bad cue actually for the money! the tip is some generic thing, so put on an elkmaster or blue diamond and it will be quite decent.

i saw these on platinum billiards and also in pool dawgs catalog and have wondered about how they play since they r so cheap, from the pics they don't look like bad cues but for $20 u couldn't expect a lot, i asked on this section about them b4 but no one answered, thanks

there was a dufferin ash shaft on ebay a lil while back i could of got it the first time it was listed for $20 no one bid on it i was going to until i saw that u could get similar cues brand new for basically the same price, now i wish i would of bought it

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...MEWA:IT&viewitem=&item=110110674211&rd=1&rd=1
________

Last edited:

worriedbeef

The Voice of Reason
Silver Member
echoing what boro nut said, snooker cues are generally simpler and cheaper things than pool cues. for example, and don't know what your equivalent to argos is (a high street catalogue store) but a 30-35 pound cue (about 64 dollars) will play pretty much flawlessly and last a lifetime.

completely different to pool cues in that regard.

JLW

Dunder Mifflin Salesman
Silver Member
Got my Dufferin Snooker cue today. I have to say, it looks pretty cheaply made. I'm going to play some Snooker tonight and see how it performs.

JLW

Dunder Mifflin Salesman
Silver Member
Well I played a few games with the cheap Dufferin, and I ended up switching to a Pool cue. I've never played with a Snooker cue before, but I've got to say I was not impressed with the way this cue played.

mosconiac

Job+Wife+Child=No Stroke
Silver Member
Thanks for the update. Too bad it didn't work out. Are you sure it doesn't just take a little time to get used to? Going from a pool cue to a snooker cue is not a trivial change. Your mind might need some time to wrap itself around the concept.

Scaramouche

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Her is a Canadian outfit with prices in U.S. It sells Riley snooker tables.

https://store.billiardplace.com/section.php?xSec=296

Dufferin closed its Canadian production facilities and cues now come from Asia, but are made with the equipment that was moved from Canada.

My favourite cue is a bottom of the line Dufferin, made in Canada.

And, yes, a snooker cue feels far different. and looks much plainer than a pool cue.

Here is a british supplier, and you can see that snooker cues are inexpensive compared to pool cues. Pool player love their bling:D

http://www.fcsnooker.co.uk/fcsnooker_new/snooker_cues/fcsnooker_branded_cues.htm

JLW

Dunder Mifflin Salesman
Silver Member
mosconiac said:
Thanks for the update. Too bad it didn't work out. Are you sure it doesn't just take a little time to get used to? Going from a pool cue to a snooker cue is not a trivial change. Your mind might need some time to wrap itself around the concept.
I think you are right and that's part of it. I'm used to using a Pool cue. But one of my main complaints about the cue is that the wood feels very cheap to me; like a KMart special. Maybe that's typical of Snooker cues. I don't know. But I really didn't like the feel of it at all.