What's up with the cueballs at the U.S. Open

Allen Brown

Pool Whale
Silver Member
Most likely Diamond wanted to send the made in China Cyclop balls with the weird CB and someone at the Open didn't want them, so they had to scramble for new balls. Those TV dotted balls cost about $30 each also.Johnnyt

This is probably what happened. I've been playing with Aramith Pros and a Cyclops cue ball and it sucks. The cue balls were free with the diamonds the room got in. Worst decision ever made.

HelloBaby-

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
From Scott Frost's FB,

2 and out... Nice event. Love playing with a cue ball that I've NEVER used EVER! Practiced with a measle ball for 2 months and come here and "oh sorry, the measles are running a little late". But hey, they have one for the TV table👍👏... I was just down 4-0 and 5-1 to a nice young man from Vietnam who missed a ball each of the first 4 games and dead snookered me. I bear down and make nice kicks to only leave him the nuts.😒 Frustrated? YES... At 8-4 down I miss a fairly easy 9 but I was froze on the rail. I shake his hand and then a nice older gentleman says "cue balls should be here tomorrow buddy"😒😩. Sad. That's all

SUPERSTAR

I am Keyser Söze
Silver Member
From Scott Frost's FB,

2 and out... Nice event. Love playing with a cue ball that I've NEVER used EVER!

LOL Well this is just an untruth.
I watched Scott beat Rodney at the Derby in the 9ball event back when it was still at the Executive West. All the tables were Diamond Smart tables, and all of them (dunno about the feature table though) had the red circle cueball, because the whatever sensor that sent the cueball to that cueball return at the head of the table, registered the red circle better than the original Aramith cueball that came with the set. As a matter of fact, I don't recall any Derbys back then, not being played on smart tables.
Anyway...
I don't fault him on the cueball rant though.
That thing sucks.

Are they smart tables at the open?

RiverCity

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
LOL Well this is just an untruth.
I watched Scott beat Rodney at the Derby in the 9ball event back when it was still at the Executive West. All the tables were Diamond Smart tables, and all of them (dunno about the feature table though) had the red circle cueball, because the whatever sensor that sent the cueball to that cueball return at the head of the table, registered the red circle better than the original Aramith cueball that came with the set. As a matter of fact, I don't recall any Derbys back then, not being played on smart tables.
Anyway...
I don't fault him on the cueball rant though.
That thing sucks.

Are they smart tables at the open?

I would highly doubt that there are any US professional players that have not played with a red circle ball. Not saying it isnt possible, but given their prevalence....... Im saying I doubt it.

(((Satori)))

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I would highly doubt that there are any US professional players that have not played with a red circle ball. Not saying it isnt possible, but given their prevalence....... Im saying I doubt it.

I was thinking the same. Scott cant be talking about a red circle cb. I wonder what he is talking about?

Colonel

Living The Dream
Silver Member
From Scott Frost's FB,

2 and out... Nice event. Love playing with a cue ball that I've NEVER used EVER! Practiced with a measle ball for 2 months and come here and "oh sorry, the measles are running a little late". But hey, they have one for the TV table... I was just down 4-0 and 5-1 to a nice young man from Vietnam who missed a ball each of the first 4 games and dead snookered me. I bear down and make nice kicks to only leave him the nuts. Frustrated? YES... At 8-4 down I miss a fairly easy 9 but I was froze on the rail. I shake his hand and then a nice older gentleman says "cue balls should be here tomorrow buddy". Sad. That's all

Well I post the following pic for Scott. A cue ball he's never used? Really, Seriously?

Before some TV producer decided it would be a good idea to use a measles TRAINING ball for TV matches so Joe Schmo could see what type of English players were using as he watched at home the RC Cueball was the ball of choice for about 25 years or so. Most elite road players & Pros generally carried one with them in their case, many still do. Yet somehow Scott Frost has NEVER played with one. I'm calling bullsh*t and sour grapes on that. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1445933749.445093.jpg

trob

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Why does it matter ? I've been told over and over again on here the red circle and the measles ball are the same ball even though to me they play differently lol now apparently Jason shaw agrees with me.

SloMoHolic

When will then be now?
Silver Member
Scott is saying that the cue ball used during his second match was NOT a red circle NOR a measles ball. Perhaps he is referring to the Super Aramith Pro cue ball with the Aramith logo on it.

From Facebook:
Scott Frost: Red S! Do u guys know what red S is??? Not red circle, not red dot, RED SSSSSSS! That's my point lol

(Below picture not from Facebook)
AramithCueBall.jpg

djyadj

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I still can't believe the level of ignorance of some ppl in here,
Organisers of US Open devalue the prestige of the tournament in the eyes of world professionals. Think about US Open in Tennis, if they use tier-2 balls, are you guys gonna say the same BS ?
How about this, only the center court has tier-1 balls, other courts play with tier-2 balls.
Says you pay 1k to play in "supposedly" the most prestigious tournament in the UNITED STATES and they cannot even afford the minimum requirements of equipment. For me, it's CHEAP. Those guys will think " sh*t even a $50 buy-in tournament in Greece we play in a better condition" (which is not sarcasm but the truth) LOL
Nobody cares about saving face ? Well, what's left to save anyway lol? US Open did not even pay the players for years.

Well said, just found out that am on the same boat with you in many threads :)

FranCrimi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You shouldn't evaluate a cue ball without taking into consideration the object balls it's being used with. I've used the measle ball with Brunswick Centennials and hated that combination. The cue ball just didn't react the way it was supposed to. The correct ball for that set is the blue circle. (The real one --- not the fakes that are floating around.)

But yesterday I played with the measle ball that comes with the new Super Aramith Pro tournament set, on new 860 Simonis cloth ---- Perfection!

Last edited:

Straightpool_99

I see dead balls
Silver Member
Scott is saying that the cue ball used during his second match was NOT a red circle NOR a measles ball. Perhaps he is referring to the Super Aramith Pro cue ball with the Aramith logo on it.

From Facebook:

(Below picture not from Facebook)
View attachment 400308

The red logo ball is similar to the measle ball in feel. I have trouble telling any difference, I'm sure the pros have a better feel for these things than I do, though. Red logo is not the same as Red Circle, as the Red Circle is lighter. Important difference. It would all be a moot point if only they used the same cueball for every table. In that case it would be a simple matter for a pro to adjust and be done with it.

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member
I still can't believe the level of ignorance of some ppl in here,
Organisers of US Open devalue the prestige of the tournament in the eyes of world professionals. Think about US Open in Tennis, if they use tier-2 balls, are you guys gonna say the same BS ?
How about this, only the center court has tier-1 balls, other courts play with tier-2 balls.
Says you pay 1k to play in "supposedly" the most prestigious tournament in the UNITED STATES and they cannot even afford the minimum requirements of equipment. For me, it's CHEAP. Those guys will think " sh*t even a $50 buy-in tournament in Greece we play in a better condition" (which is not sarcasm but the truth) LOL
Nobody cares about saving face ? Well, what's left to save anyway lol? US Open did not even pay the players for years.

Until it's an ORGANIZEED professional sport....the cat$$$$$$$$$ & promoters will do whatever they want because it's their MONEY they are' only looking out ''for number one''.

Runner

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Red circle cueball does not come with any set of balls made by Aramith/Sulac
It is sold as an aftermarket cueball.
The new Aramith Tournament set of balls comes with a cueball that has a black logo.
The Super Aramith Pro Cup set comes with the measle ball.
Super Aramith Pros come with a red aramith logo cueball.

http://www.saluc.com/html/billiard/index.php?idlien=10

It's all about consistency.
Every person should be playing on/with the same equipment. PERIOD.
None of this mix and match crap.

Agreed... and blue circles come with the Centennial set (which I have)... IMO, all CB's vary in size and weight.. you can have a larger, heavy RC and a lighter, smaller measles... we're talking very small differences, but that's what affects play.

Someone (maybe me) should post a comparison chart/pics so we can put this to rest.

Regardless, for a tournament not to be ready with the same equipment for every match/table is ludicrous, and just cheaping out. Hell, our local Sunday 9 ball tourney has Centennials and measles CB for all tables.