When AZ goes down, please go to CueChalkBoard

gregory

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It seems like every finals, AZ forums go down. For those of us without the feed who are sweating it via updates of the likes of GunnSlinger, it is heartbreaking to get left out of the loop at the end of every major tourny (plus, it'd be great to discuss the results after with people). So when AZ goes down again next event, can we all move over to CueChalkBoard at billiardsdigest.com until AZ gets back up. Special thanks to GunnSlinger, who made it over to CueChalkBoard in time to give us the final result as it happens. Hope to see more of you over there next time AZ is down.

Wally in Cincy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
How frustrating to go looking for info and find myself feeling like I am back on dial-up

if AZB wants to be the primo pool site this is something that needs to be addressed.

mucho kudos to Gunn Slinger I tried to leave kudos on his thread but I was timed out

:rollseyes:

!Smorgass Bored

Hump ? What HUMP ?
Gold Member
Wally in Cincy said:
How frustrating to go looking for info and find myself feeling like I am back on dial-up

if AZB wants to be the primo pool site this is something that needs to be addressed.

<here comes my 19th nervous breakdown>
I sent an e-mail to Mike addressing this issue and I hope that I don't get banned for yelling AAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH at him.

Doug
( twice )

Dhakala

Banned
The daily glitches on this forum are frustrating, indeed. It often takes half a minute or more to load a single page or save a new post. "Database error" pops up several times a week, too.

Perhaps we could all pitch in something to help replace the Commodore 64 that seems to serve as a server here?

Cameron Smith

is kind of hungry...
Silver Member
Smorgass Bored said:
I sent an e-mail to Mike addressing this issue and I hope that I don't get banned for yelling AAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH at him.

Doug
( twice )

That's hilarious.

That is two good reps I owe you.

(I typically only give good reps to people who make me laugh)

Nostroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Id like to see something done and I'm willing to pay my share. You would think with the obvious growth (hits) would come more advertising $$ and a better infrastructure but it seems to be stalled. I know Mike has said he is doing this and doing that but things dont seem to be improving in the long run. Its still a great site but when people are running over to CCB-that aint good- something needs to be done.

gregory

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Nostroke said:
Its still a great site but when people are running over to CCB-that aint good- something needs to be done.
I agree. This is a great site. I don't want anyone going over to CCB--the only time I'm on there is when AZ is down and I usually don't find anything interesting and don't stay long. But I was really happy today when GunnSlinger came over and posted his updates, and if AZ goes down again during another finals, I hope someone comes over to CCB again and keeps us updated.

!Smorgass Bored

Hump ? What HUMP ?
Gold Member
Originally Posted by Smorgass Bored
I sent an e-mail to Mike addressing this issue and I hope that I don't get banned for yelling AAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG GGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH at him.

Doug
( twice )

Cameron Smith said:
That's hilarious.
That is two good reps I owe you.
(I typically only give good reps to people who make me laugh)

I just PM'ed Mike to let him know that I'm OK now. The medication did wonders for me. Look at all the pretty flowers........ and the birds, all those beautiful birds..... and the faucet running, sounds like a babbling brook.

Doug

Nick B

This is gonna hurt
Silver Member
How about a quasi Shareware site?

All things are possible with revenue. I would suggest that Mike can possibly go to a two tiered service.
Example:
Free Membership
1. Limited PM's
2. No Avtar
3. No ICON's
4. No chat

Pay Membership ($20/year)
1. Big Mailbox
2. Avtar
3. Chat
4. Enhanced features

Jimmy M.

Insomniac
Silver Member
Nick B said:

All things are possible with revenue. I would suggest that Mike can possibly go to a two tiered service.
Example:
Free Membership
1. Limited PM's
2. No Avtar
3. No ICON's
4. No chat

Pay Membership ($20/year)
1. Big Mailbox
2. Avtar
3. Chat
4. Enhanced features

The right to whine like a b**ch could go along with the Paid Membership. :D

azhousepro

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Believe me, this is as frustrating for me as it is for the rest of you.

We have a move to a faster and newer machine scheduled for next week and hopefully that will take care of most of these issues.

We are already hosting the forums on a separate machine from the main site in an attempt to stabilize both of them.

Just out of curiosity, what are the rest of your thoughts on this members thing? I am not sure about doing anything like this.

Mike

Nick B

This is gonna hurt
Silver Member
I'm not saying make it a pay site

I'm not advocating you make it a pay site. I only suggest by offering a premium membership you can receive a little revenue and we in turn enjoy some added features and able to support our playground. This could be channeled into improved hardware and better service during high volume periods.

Nick

azhousepro

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Obviously if something like this were to happen, there would have to be an alternative for the vast number of people who would never think about contributing money to something like this.

And I wouldn't think about doing something like this unless the hosting costs went up. Hopefully the server move next week will alleviate the performance issues and we won't have to discuss them anymore.

Mike

azhousepro

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Absolutely. The site would have to remain available for all users. Contributing users would only get added features.

Mike

Nick B said:
I'm not advocating you make it a pay site. I only suggest by offering a premium membership you can receive a little revenue and we in turn enjoy some added features and able to support our playground. This could be channeled into improved hardware and better service during high volume periods.

Nick

Double-Dave

Developing cue-addict
Silver Member
AzHousePro said:
Believe me, this is as frustrating for me as it is for the rest of you.

We have a move to a faster and newer machine scheduled for next week and hopefully that will take care of most of these issues.

We are already hosting the forums on a separate machine from the main site in an attempt to stabilize both of them.

Just out of curiosity, what are the rest of your thoughts on this members thing? I am not sure about doing anything like this.

Mike

As long as I can choose, no problem. Maybe another sollution would be to set up some kind of possibility to donate a few bucks to the forum. I know of a few forums where you can send a text message which costs you about 1.50 and something like 1.25 goes to the forum (forum is on a different continent btw). A paypal adress might also do this trick.

gr. Dave

poolhall maven

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I wouldn't think of complaining about a free forum. if the site goes down it's down, since I don't pay anything I'm content to wait for the problems to be fixed! And if it never came back, I would've enjoyed it while it was here. You get what you pay for... and if I were a paying customer or a special member then, I would feel I earned the right to complain.

Mr. Wilson

El Kabong
Gold Member
Silver Member
AzHousePro said:
Absolutely. The site would have to remain available for all users. Contributing users would only get added features.

Mike

IMO,

Members could post and read but there would be restricted access.

For example, a Premium Member would be able to post pictures and have access to forums such as the Wanted / Sale , Chat and Vbookie areas where regular "membership" would not be able to see or participate.

I really believe it could motivate participation and limit a lot of crap and help manage bandwidth. ( not to mention a small bit of help paying for the server )

Also as mentioned, included in a Premium Membership, PM's, More storage, maybe Email....etc.

As it is, trouble makers really have nothing to lose.

One things for sure, you'd find out who really wants to be here.

Last edited:

RunArak

Dead Account
Silver Member
I truly appreciate the site and I cannot moan and complain about a "free" site going down once in a while. I find the site very informative and I enjoy reading the boards once or twice daily.
I would not hesitate paying for a premium membership but I am just fine with the way that it is now.. After all, Mike is doing us all a TREMENDOUS service.... Thanks Mike, the site is GREAT!!!