Where is the Center of the Q Ball?

nineballman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
For years I thought the center of the cue ball was somewhere it's not.

Where is the center of the cue ball to you?

djkx1

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Center
?noun 1. Geometry. the middle point, as the point within a circle or sphere equally distant from all points of the circumference or surface, or the point within a regular polygon equally distant from the vertices.

RBLilly

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It is inside the cueball! The center of the cue ball is in the very middle of the cue ball on the inside of it. The only way to see the center of the cueball is to cut it open!

That is why we talk about playing on vertical center! LOL

PKM

OB-1 Kenobi
Silver Member
If you're talking about perceiving the vertical center accurately, it's where Joe Tucker's 3rd eye tells me it is.

kaznj

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Your question can be interpreted in different ways. If you are holding the ball in your hand and want to point a pencil dot in the middle of the side facing you, you can measure it mathematically. Think of a coordinate plane you learned in basic algebra. This x, y axis is two dimensional and the ball is a 3 dimensional figure which makes it a little harder. If you are talking about hitting the center it is different. Many people who think they are hitting center ball are visually fooled. You cannot actually hold a cue perfectly horizontally to the table and hit the center of the ball. The rail prevent this. When you want to hit exactly in the center you must point the tip at what looks like below center. You will hit the center of the ball with the top of the tip.

Dawgie

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
When I first started playing seriously ( one year ago this past June) I kept hitting the c/b slightly off center to the right. I learned this through the center hit excerise that requires you to hit the c/b to the rail and have it come back to hit your tip. NO SPIN ALLOWED. I moved my center hit point over to the left a little and the c/b started to come back straight to my cue tip. Now when I hit the c/b it always looks like it is a little to the left. I think the reson for me hitting a little off center in the beginning was due to shadows around the c/b. the lighting is good but you will always see a bit of shadow to one side of the ball of the other which gives you an optical illusion as to where the center actually is.

AZE

DeucesCracked Instructor
Silver Member
Joe Tucker's device is great for finding absolute center. I'd recomend buying it.

steev

Lazy User
Silver Member
center ball is relative

kaznj said:
When you want to hit exactly in the center you must point the tip at what looks like below center. You will hit the center of the ball with the top of the tip.

that would be the center from the perspective of the table. i am usually more concerned with the center relative to the force (stroke) i'm applying. this center is always above the (table-relative) center, as your stroke is never completely level.

-s

/$.02

pooltchr

Prof. Billiard Instructor
Silver Member
The center of the cue ball is in the middle or core of the ball. When we talk about center ball in pool, we consider it to be the point where the cue would make contact on the surface while pointing toward the core. It is reletive, depending on the direction the cue is approaching the ball from. Place the cue perfectly level to the table and touch the cue ball equal distance from all edges as you see it from the cue's angle. That is center ball. Now leaving the tip at the same spot, elevate the butt of the cue. You are now aiming below center.
Steve

kildegirl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Center To Edge

nineballman said:

WE AIM THE CENTER OF THE CUE BALL AT THE EDGE OF THE OBJECT BALL FOR ANY AND ALL SHOTS.

HAL

3andstop

Focus
Silver Member
I'd say an inch and an eighth up from the bed surface is the midway point on the cue ball. (I'm assuming you are thinking of it like this) but .... depending on your bridge, since lots of people don't cue the cue ball parallel to the table with their stick when they stroke, the expected results of your hitting center ball may vary from what you expect.

If you hit medium speed from varied distances to an object ball and you are able to make the cue ball slides like a knuckle ball before it takes on normal roll, I'd say thats about a center hit for you. :)

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
nineballman said:

The cue ball's only meaningful center is its center of mass or 3-dimensional center. To put 1/2 tip of follow or draw spin on the cue ball you aim 1/2 tip above or below the 3-dimensional center, which will be different points on the cue ball's surface for different cue elevations.

pj
chgo

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
Patrick Johnson said:
The cue ball's only meaningful center is its center of mass or 3-dimensional center. To put 1/2 tip of follow or draw spin on the cue ball you aim 1/2 tip above or below the 3-dimensional center, which will be different points on the cue ball's surface for different cue elevations.

pj
chgo
Also, the miscue boundary is determined by 3-dimensional center - it's about 1 full tip (1/2") above or below 3-dimensional center, which is different points on the cue ball for different cue elevations.

pj
chgo

seymore15074

So what are you saying?
Silver Member
It just isn't a matter of where; there is no absolute point other than the geometrical center point. This geometrical center point falls short of having much significence.

A "center ball hit" should be relating to a kill shot at the appropriate speed, which will have a relative tip-to-cue ball place to hit. Elevation will move this place, but most importantly speed will have a huge influence on where this place is located. Longer shots must be hit firmer, dropping the place to hit, and short shots that are hit firm will be very close to, the textbook center location.

This concept alone is a HUGE milestone in performance. Not a single game will go by without some application of this experience; and unfortunately, that is what it takes--experience.

Snorks

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Best trick I was shown (by PoolSponge)...

Put Ball 1 on table. Place Ball 2 beside and move till it touches. Assuming the balls are the same height, the center is where they touch.

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
A "center ball hit" should be relating to a kill shot at the appropriate speed, which will have a relative tip-to-cue ball place to hit.

If you want to describe a hit that makes the cue ball stop when it hits the object ball, say "stop shot hit" or "stun hit" (or "kill shot hit" if you must, although that can be confused with a sidespin hit). That way you don't confuse where you're hitting the cue ball with what you expect to happen as a result.

pj
chgo