Why buy a custom cue over a national brand?

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I feel like getting a custom made to the very last spec is always gamble because you're never really guaranteed to have the hit that you want anyway. Or maybe I just haven't tried enough customs.
How many posts have you ever seen, let alone read, where someone was criticizing or was disappointed with a cue
that Bob Owen, Bob Manzino, Pete Tascarella, etc. made for them? Duh……great cue makers are not perfect but I
have never been disappointed with any of my custom cues, except for over designing my first Owen custom cue.

It is not much of a gamble when you know what you want your cue to be, not necessarily referring to its appearance.
The problem is the majority of pool players do not even understand the anatomy of a pool cue and sure as heck, don’t
know how their cue was made or what’s even in it. So when they order a cue, they do not provide meaningful input to
the cue maker on what they want aside from the looks of the final design. Beauty or appearance doesn’t make a pool cue play great but rather only look sensational. Tell you cue maker exactly what you want, pick a great cue maker and you won’t be disappointed. All the cues in the below photos use the same specs so switching my cues is literally seamless.

When you entrust a cue maker to build your cue and don’t tell him exactly what you want, then you are inviting the
potential for disappointment because how the cue is built could easily be different than what you had in mind. Take
the time before ordering a custom cue to ascertain what features or components do you want the cue maker to use
and be involved in how the cue is constructed. I always did and have never been disappointed with the outcomes.

SeniorTom

95% of the playing public wouldn't play any better with a multi-kilobuck wondercue than with a good $80 J&J sneaky. http://www.jjcue.com/images/2529.JPG Great lil cue for 80bux.
I'm one of those players that wouldn't benefit from a custom cue, except for the fact of its looks. There are some very beautiful production cues out there to fulfill the need of looks for me, so I custom cue for this intermediate player would be pretty much a waste. I did buy a Pechauer for $900 that is beautiful and feels great when I shoot it. It's got a carbon fiber shaft that is great for feel. I can't see getting anything better than that. Actually, I really didn't need this particular cue, although I did like its beauty.

trob

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There is no advantage play wise. You just want something that is exactly to your likeness in looks. you can run balls just fine with a manufactured cue.

SeniorTom

95% of the playing public wouldn't play any better with a multi-kilobuck wondercue than with a good $80 J&J sneaky. http://www.jjcue.com/images/2529.JPG Great lil cue for 80bux.
I wouldn't go that far, not sure what the specs are on cue in the photo you attached of the Sneaky Pete, but something around $250 would be good enough for most anybody. Does the one in the photo have a Pro Taper? Or is it weight adjustable? I actually think that a person will play better with a cue that is aesthetically pleasing to their eye, and feels good in their hand. The link below shows the one I got as my first cue and would recommend it. I think it would play better than the Sneaky Pete that you included in your post.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I wouldn't go that far, not sure what the specs are on cue in the photo you attached of the Sneaky Pete, but something around $250 would be good enough for most anybody. Does the one in the photo have a Pro Taper? Or is it weight adjustable? I actually think that a person will play better with a cue that is aesthetically pleasing to their eye, and feels good in their hand. The link below shows the one I got as my first cue and would recommend it. I think it would play better than the Sneaky Pete that you included in your post.
All of the above. They have great shaft wood and stay straight. All you need to play good pool. A lot of top action players earn their living with cues like this. I don't like those coated Cuetec shafts. Get sticky real easy.

SeniorTom

All of the above. They have great shaft wood and stay straight. All you need to play good pool. A lot of top action players earn their living with cues like this. I don't like those coated Cuetec shafts. Get sticky real easy.
I would agree then with the Sneaky Pete you included, but I have never experienced any stickiness with the glass coated shaft. In fact, that's one of the main reasons I like that cue is for the smoothness of that shaft. You can close your eyes and run your hand over it and swear it's carbon fiber.

336Robin

Multiverse Operative
Silver Member
Have you tried the Cuetec Shafts recently?