why do some pros fly to England for the tournament, when they have a small chance of winning?

JoeyA

Efren's Mini-Tourn BACKER
Silver Member
Enjoyed watching the UK tournament on you tube this weekend. My question is this: the line up was the best of the best, the top 10 players in the world. Filler, ko brothers, Ruiz, Boeing, ect ect. Why do pros who are on a level below these killers attend this tournament? And I’m not naming names, thats not my point. That’s a lot of money to spend to get to England, hotel, food, transportation, ect. And they never get close to winning?

And they all do the same pattern: win their first match, lose the second, win their first match on the loser side, maybe win two or more. Then lose and they are out.

I know anybody can do as they please, and i get that. But it just seems to be an unproductive week to me.

And I’m not trying to be a butthead about this subject, just trying to figure it out. I can’t even think of a MAJOR tournament that a lower level pro has every won?
Winning a tournament is the most unlikely reason for people to play in a pocket billiard event, regardless of where the event is located or how much it costs to play in it. The bottom-line reason people play in any pool tournament is to compete against others, to test one's self, to learn how to control the mind's chatter, to become a better player, etc. Whatever tournaments you can afford financially and otherwise; if you are a competitor, you will go.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Keith Thompson won the Allround at the 1970 Johnston City with a borrowed cue.
Mohamed Soufi almost captured first prize in his first major 9-ball tournament.
……you'll never know if you don’t try
And Tommy Kennedy...a surprise us open winner

tim913

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
How many people think they’re going to win the lottery each week .. they still buy a ticket just like me

cueman

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
On regional tours where only the top three or four make any money over expenses the fields are still full of people who traveled from several states away. Some just do it for the love of the game. But many are there to gamble and match up. There is a player from Alabama that rarely wins an event, but gambles often for many times what the winner of the tournament will get. He gives up rediculous weight to low level players and gets weight from top notch players. From my understanding he is ahead in dollars by a long ways. Some get backed in matches and arrange savers with the person they gamble with. So they basically show up to get paid to gamble. They are not dumping as they try to win, but two thirds to winner and one third to loser are often bathroom splits.

cueman

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
And Tommy Kennedy...a surprise us open winner
That did not surprise me as I saw how good he was playing at the BCA Trade show when he locked up sponsorship with the L shaped table people. He was on fire. They ran a full page add that simply said Good Luck Tommy.

Zerksies

There are also some intangibles, such as helping a player build a local brand to be able to charge for lessons. Being able to call yourself a "pro" (whether your level warrants that rating or not) lends some credence to be able to charge for lessons. I know a low level female player who plays the WPBA tour who charges $70 an hour for lessons, which is based on the fact she is a "pro" on the WPBA tour.
In addition and as mentioned before their trip may be at least part funded by sponsors if you are displaying their brand and/or using their products.
Good luck to those who are able to play these tournaments knowing that what they are spending to play is dead money, at least they are doing something they enjoy.
The WPBA is a freaking joke. Maybe the top 10 i would consider decent players. The others couldn't make it in the APA. I have one of these WPBA ladies around me. Last time i checked she was in the top 20. If i was gambling with her i would have to give her multiple ball spot or a few games on the wire.

Their is a weekly local 9-ball tournament around here, she didn't even place for cash.

briankenobi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The WPBA is a freaking joke. Maybe the top 10 i would consider decent players. The others couldn't make it in the APA. I have one of these WPBA ladies around me. Last time i checked she was in the top 20. If i was gambling with her i would have to give her multiple ball spot or a few games on the wire.

Their is a weekly local 9-ball tournament around here, she didn't even place for cash.
And yet the WPBA is the longest billiards tour in the US. The WPBA has allowed more players to be featured and then even sponsored. Women's pool was on ESPN way more then the men were, and even drew better ratings. That isn't a joke. I would say the top 10 are more than decent. Are they gonna win a mens tournament? no. Can they routinely beat your average regional tournament player/league player/AZ Billiards forum member? Absolutely. I have seen a top 10 WPBA player in my area do challenge matches and lay waste to everyone. A lot of 7's in that crowd that got made to look like 3's. But since they don't play like the guys, people seem to think they can't play at all, which is just ignorant. They play good in their own field.

u12armresl

One Pocket back cutter
Silver Member
How many people think they’re going to win the lottery each week .. they still buy a ticket just like me
Do you go out and practice your grip on how to hand money to the lottery attendant?
Work on your "breaking" bills to get a lottery ticket?

briankenobi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Is a pretty sexist remark. We shouldn't be treating them like pool players, This is not a physical dominance game. We should all be equal.
Not a sexist remark at all. Just looking at history and perspective. The top 10 woman players play really well and place well at women's tournaments. The same 10 woman would not place the same in the US Open. So saying that they play well in their own field is based off of historical results (facts).

judochoke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I was thinking of hunter Lombardo and billy Thorpe. Don’t know if either of these two guys are sponsored or not, but they always get the same results. Win, loose, win, win lose. Every major tournament???

briankenobi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I was thinking of hunter Lombardo and billy Thorpe. Don’t know if either of these two guys are sponsored or not, but they always get the same results. Win, loose, win, win lose. Every major tournament???
Billy is sponsored by Meucci. I know Hunter does lessons a lot. I see Billy finishing better than Hunter most of the time but you are correct in your observations.

maha

from way back when
Silver Member
its called hitting your head against the wall. some people are always the sucker and believe it will rain money on them some day.

go and do what is not a positive expectation and you get back nothing . do the opposite and you get rich if you do it enough.

dreamers dream and that makes the world go around.

trob

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'd do it as a vacation. I'm sure they wouldn't fork out the money if they weren't getting some enjoyment out of the trip.
My friend who played in it did just that. he won the first round and lost the next two. He felt he played well but his break went dead. He spent 10 days there from last monday until yesterday with his wife and they loved every minute of London. He also makes very good money so to him it was a vacation and he can afford it.

At some point pool will have to stop taking that money and make people prove they are pro caliber to play. It isn’t there yet so if you can afford it I say play!!