World 10-Ball Championships, Feb-Mar 2024, Las Vegas, The Rio

PoolBum

Ace in the side.
Silver Member
I don't know the rule. Is it okay to take balls out of a pocket and roll them across the table while the cue ball is still rolling?
Screen Shot 2024-03-02 at 5.33.13 PM.png

BeiberLvr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hard not to root for either guy. This would be Biado's 3rd or 4th world title? For Oi, having a world championship as your first major title would be an amazing accomplishment.

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member
If there was ever a doubt, Carlo is a Hall of Famer. Thing is…he is eligible this year as he turned 40 last year. This will also be Shane’s first year of eligibility. Hoping all my voting brethren remember that they can name as many candidates as they want. Highest vote getter gets in, and anyone else named on over 75% of the voting.

Carlo

World 9-ball
US Open 9-ball
World 10-ball

Plus oodles more.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
If there was ever a doubt, Carlo is a Hall of Famer. Thing is…he is eligible this year as he turned 40 last year. This will also be Shane’s first year of eligibility. Hoping all my voting brethren remember that they can name as many candidates as they want. Highest vote getter gets in, and anyone else named on over 75% of the voting.

Carlo

World 9-ball
US Open 9-ball
World 10-ball

Plus oodles more.
Agreed, Carlo is a no brainer for BCA HOF. Tough year to get in, though, as a top ten of all time player is now eligible on both the men's and women's side in SVB and Ga Young Kim.

Well done, Carlo.

LHP5

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Agreed, Carlo is a no brainer for BCA HOF. Tough year to get in, though, as a top ten of all time player is now eligible on both the men's and women's side in SVB and Ga Young Kim.

Well done, Carlo.
Question. Why was the HOF age set at 40? There have definitely been players still winning major champions well into their mid-40s.

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member
Question. Why was the HOF age set at 40? There have definitely been players still winning major champions well into their mid-40s.
It’s a tough call. It used to be that younger players could get in, so a number was set. I assume they borrowed from professional golf as It was 40 for golf up until recently. Certainly golfers were winning majors into their 40’s. Golf changed the minimum to 50 and then recently swung it down to 45. Honestly, I like 45 for pool as well.

Sigel and Balukas were two players that were inducted before they were 40. Balukas was in her 20’s.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
Gold Coast was $136 total for 1 night and Lyft was about $25 each way. I'm chicken to try Vegas busses.
You're funny. I was a little apprehensive at first, but after chatting with a local guy who rides the buses I thought why not (and only $2). I guess I like to challenge myself to see if I can still handle it. And I can.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
I don't know the rule. Is it okay to take balls out of a pocket and roll them across the table while the cue ball is still rolling?View attachment 746526
Technically that's a foul too, under their rules. The ref looked the other way. What a controversy that would have been if he called a foul on him for that. Rules, smules!

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member

Carlo

World 9-ball
US Open 9-ball
World 10-ball

Plus oodles more.
Many of Pool's best players these days seem to really mature in their 40's. They have experience and by being well conditioned also still have youthful energy! Plus they are being tested by Pool's young guns and they have to work hard on their games to keep up. I would say a players prime years are early 20's until mid 40's.

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member
If it's important.... contact Shane Tyree at the BCA office he may help.

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member
Many of Pool's best players these days seem to really mature in their 40's. They have experience and by being well conditioned also still have youthful energy! Plus they are being tested by Pool's young guns and they have to work hard on their games to keep up. I would say a players prime years are early 20's until mid 40's.
Very true, But the teenagers will eventually be winning.
Wu/Korea

We might Eventually, be the only pro sport on the planet that will be dominated by high school kids :).

skogstokig

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

staying fit instead of smoking, drinking is definitely a factor (says this beer drinking nicotinist)

PoolBum

Ace in the side.
Silver Member
Technically that's a foul too, under their rules. The ref looked the other way. What a controversy that would have been if he called a foul on him for that. Rules, smules!
They've been enforcing that rule at the end of a game when a player starts taking the balls out of the pocket before the cue ball stops moving, so I was surprised when in the middle of a game they didn't call that foul on Biado. Biado won that game by the way.

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member
If it's important.... contact Shane Tyree at the BCA office he may help.
Before people start calling Shane or blowing up his email, the the USBMA is responsible for voting for the BCA Hall of Fame. Currently Mike Panozzo is the head of the committee. We have senior members of the USBMA on this thread.

spartan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Oi has to be the best player in the modern era to never win a major (although maybe you could count the Japan Open 10-Ball he won?).
Japan Open is smaller less prestigious event than All Japan. All Japan was a major in previous decades and featuring many big names good prizemoney but in recent years, the field is much weaker with reduced prizemoney and is more a ranking event not a major. Even then Oi has not won All Japan.

Yes Oi is high in shortlist of those who have not won major yet.
If we consider majors as W9B, W8B,W10B, Matchroom major opens (US, UK etc) and exclude invitationals like World Cup of Pool, Big Foot and exclude team events like WCP. Then for the FR top 40 (excluding less active players like Liu Haitao, Mark Gray) , IMHO this is shortlist of those who have not won a major and are due to win one. (taking into account how long they have been playing and slogging in international 9B/10B events, not how likely they are to win one :LOL:)
1st in line (not in order)
Naoyuki Oi
Skyler Woodward
Johann Chua
Mario He
Lee Van Corteza
Max Lechner

2nd in line (not in order)
Anton Raga
Aloysius Yapp
Wiktor Zielinski
Kun Lin Wu