WORLD POOL CHAMPIONSHIP (6-10 June2021) Champion $50K

sjm

Sweating it at Derby City
Silver Member
Don't think it had anything to do with it, the top players just played bad.
On that point, here's what I wrote in this thread before the event began, quoting directly from post #19.

We may get a Cinderella story this year, which we've not had since Darryl Peach in 2007 or, if you prefer, Yukio Akagariyama in 2011. I'm not fully convinced the top few are in their best form. With the stars of Asia mostly absent, there are sure to be some easy draws out there and I think somebody unexpected will make a very deep run.

spartan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm inclined to disagree. In the last sixteen, to be successful, you need to know how to grind and win the racks that have to be fought for. Nobody does it like the Filipinos, and if the stars of the Philippines had been here and in form, I strongly believe that one of them would have snapped off this event.
Europeans, Filipinos, Taiwanese usually split up roughly equally about 70% to 90% of quarterfinalists or last 16 in international majors (W9B, USO,IO,CO,W10B,AJ). In terms of major titles won in last 5 years, Filipinos do not fare as well-most notable win is Biado winning this event in 2017. The most successful since 2016 are the Europeans who won almost half of the majors followed by the Taiwanese (excluding Wu) :)

mwon1.JPG

Badpenguin

You are certainly entitled to your opinion, and a DCC Master of the Table is a great achievement, a testament to all around excellence. That said, probably 98% of the world's one pocket players are American and 99.5% of the world's bank pool players are American, so what's the point of comparison.

It's also worth noting that the elite aren't always present at the Derby. For example, none of these players were at the 2020 Derby city Classic:

JL Chang, Kevin Chang, Anton Raga, Xiaohuai Zheng, Carlo Biado, Wu Jiaqing, Ko Pin Yi, Ko Ping Chung, Albin Ouschan, Niels Feijen, Francisco Sanchez Ruiz. Klenti Kaci, and Fedor Gorst.

That's thirteen of the world's twenty best based on Fargo. Let's not try to confuse the kind of fields you get at the Derby to those found at majors like the US Open, China Open, All Japan and the World Championship. The Derby is great, but it's not quite a gathering of all the elite.
You really know how to rain on a parade, lol.

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
"they" are predator, providing both the tables and the balls. i'm not a fan of all their products, but they are putting money into the sport when few others do, so kudos to them. the tables on the WPM some week ago was much tighter
The are using Aramith Tournament Black balls, not Predator.

[at least on Table 1]

pwd72s

recreational banger
Silver Member
Now it's...Go Skyler!

Guess I'll now join the chorus...Shane...no world championship. :cry:

JT4Annapolis

JT in FL now
As usual, Jay, you are correct. Matchroom set the tables up too easy for a World Championship, and it has helped the chances of some of the less elite. How obvious is this? Check it out:

World Pool Masters (tight pockets)
The final four (Fargo in parentheses) were Kazakis (802) SVB (828) Filler (827) Kaci (815), with an average Fargo of 818. Now that's elite and the cream rose to the top.

World Championship (pockets loosened by 1/4")
Only two of the last eight have Fargo rates that put them among the best 35 players in the world and nobody is above 811.

Matchroom got burned a little with the equipment change.
Was world pool masters 4" pockets?

Attachments

• 1623259356611.png
    1623259356611.png
    375.6 KB · Views: 41

sjm

Silver Member
Europeans, Filipinos, Taiwanese usually split up roughly equally about 70% to 90% of quarterfinalists or last 16 in international majors (W9B, USO,IO,CO,W10B,AJ). In terms of major titles won in last 5 years, Filipinos do not fare as well-most notable win is Biado winning this event in 2017. The most successful since 2016 are the Europeans who won almost half of the majors followed by the Taiwanese (excluding Wu) :)

View attachment 598165
Thanks for that. I was not comparing Filipino pool to Taiwanese pool. I was just taking note of the fact that the conditions this year in the last 16 might have favored the Filipinos, who are so good at beating you to the shot.

sjm

Silver Member
Wow, Alcaide's masse position shot against Lechner was quite remarkable. David playin g beautifully so far, and has a well deserved 3-0 lead.