World Pool Summit brackets?

C

CrispyFish

Hi,

Does anybody know what tonight's matchups are? Maybe there's something wrong with my computer, but the brackets that are linked to from the AZ home page don't have any names on them...

Thanks,
-CF

K

Ken in CT

I'm getting the results of the first day from the brackets. Make sure you are clicking on the part that has the early matches. The brackets are in many parts and the later sections will have no names yet. It took me a while to figure that out.

Even with the results I don't know which matches will be played when. It would seem that with 68 players they could have run this tournament in two days and saved everyone a lot of money.
Ken

Last edited:
C

CrispyFish

Wow, yeah, that really wasn't obvious at all! Thanks for pointing it out!

Interesting... it looks like some of the names on the flyer actually aren't there? Souquet? Bustamente? Reyes? (Unless I'm still missing something...) That's bit disappointing as I'll be there tonight and was hoping to see some of these players, but I'm sure there will still be some great pool anyway... :cool:

bruin70

don't wannabe M0DERATOR
Silver Member
archer, morris, parica, sambojan, feijen, immonen are at amsteradm. a lot of players are in some tourney in the middle east or somewhere.

manlyshot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
CrispyFish said:
Interesting... it looks like some of the names on the flyer actually aren't there? Souquet? Bustamente? Reyes? (Unless I'm still missing something...) That's bit disappointing as I'll be there tonight and was hoping to see some of these players, but I'm sure there will still be some great pool anyway... :cool:

Tonight, Efren is getting ready to play Earl and Bustamante is getting ready to play Hohmann in Dubai. They are the final four in the tournament.

If you go to AzB headline news when you come to AzBilliards, you will see the whole article about the tournament occurring simultaneously with the UPA event in NYC.

Hope you have a good time tonight, CrispyFish. I am sure there will be plenty of good pool shooting to watch.

ManlyShot

jjinfla

Banned
Manlyshot -

Checking the brackets I get all the way to round 3 before I see a match that is worth watching - Robles vs San Souci. Of course most of the names listed mean nothing to me so there might be some good ones that I haven't heard of.

It looks like Charlie and Archer and Varner, et al, just have sparring partners until about round 6. What a deal. For them.

So all of these players listed are UPA members? And they get to pay extra to be cannon fodder? Anybody ever hear of the Bozo Circus from Chicago where they had their "fair and square contest"? This sorta reminds me of that.

And I thought Bustamante was a UPA member. Did he get special dispensation to play in a conflicting tournament? Or is it the same old story. Some people are more equal than others.

Jake

bruin70

don't wannabe M0DERATOR
Silver Member
jjinfla said:
Manlyshot -

And I thought Bustamante was a UPA member. Did he get special dispensation to play in a conflicting tournament? Or is it the same old story. Some people are more equal than others.

Jake

i think the last person/persons williams will ever makes waves with are the filipinos. he ain't doin' any arm twistin' with them or he loses the whole group.

sniper

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
jjinfla said:
Manlyshot -

It looks like Charlie and Archer and Varner, et al, just have sparring partners until about round 6. What a deal. For them.

Jake

Shows how much you know about pool... Varner has just lost to Steve Lipsky, Charlie is getting ready to play Luc Salvas who has given Earl some Dubai type ass kickings in the past, if Luc takes the match seriously Charlie might be in for more of a challenge than he expects.

Celtic

AZB's own 8-ball jihadist
Silver Member
Not to mention Archer had to play Montal in the first round who is no bye. Jjinfla or whatever your handle is, learn more about players besides the ones you see on the cover of P&B magazine.

jjinfla

Banned
Celtic said:
Not to mention Archer had to play Montal in the first round who is no bye. Jjinfla or whatever your handle is, learn more about players besides the ones you see on the cover of P&B magazine.

Yeah right, Montal is right up there with the top pros. Sure. But he did lose, didn't he? And who in that bracket can beat Archer?

I'll give you I missed Steve - he has been doing great lately and Varner has been having problems.

But face it, about 90% of the seeds will be in round 5. Why? Because they don't have to play each other. DUH!

I hear P&B is pretty good but I don't get it, only BD and Inside Pool. But if you want to get the sale price from Bert Kinister you better subscribe to P&B.

Jake

Celtic

AZB's own 8-ball jihadist
Silver Member
jjinfla said:
Yeah right, Montal is right up there with the top pros. Sure. But he did lose, didn't he? And who in that bracket can beat Archer?

I'll give you I missed Steve - he has been doing great lately and Varner has been having problems.

But face it, about 90% of the seeds will be in round 5. Why? Because they don't have to play each other. DUH!

I hear P&B is pretty good but I don't get it, only BD and Inside Pool. But if you want to get the sale price from Bert Kinister you better subscribe to P&B.

Jake

Yeah well Archer is kind of sick (aka makes me sick due to crazy amounts of skill) lately. There are very few players in the tournament that Archer would not walk over from what I have seen. Archer has arguably been the best 9-ball player in the world in the last 6 months or so. I take Montal over somone like San Souci, Wetch, Basavich, Varner, Putnam, Parica, and most other big names in the tournament, I would take Archer over everyone though. I dont think Archer could of had a much tougher match in the first round, but the problem is that the toughest first round match in the tournament is the guy that actually has to play Archer, whoever he is he is an underdog due to the field not having Reyes, Strickland, Busta, Immonen, Souquet, Thorsten whateverhisnameis (where the hell was this guy hiding, world champ and best straight pool player in the world all of the sudden? Shoulda done a roadtrip across the USA before making himself famous, he woulda cleaned up), Pagulayan, or someone else that can actually play the consistent super high offence multiple racks pool it takes to beat Archer.

I am happy to see the two Calgary players doing well on the B side anyways. I was choked when I saw Edwin's draw, right off the hop he gets the best player in the tournament. Then Abou gets Parica early (looks like he had a good match at least).

sniper

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
jjinfla said:

Jake

So did Archer, Varner, and Charlie who supposedly had sparring partners through round 6, a little surprised Santos beat Charlie cause we know how Charlie can play when he's in the zone, tough tournament to predict with many potential winners.

Is anybody watching the matches live on PPV?