your thoughts about the prince of Brunei being in the WPC !

Hail Mary Shot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
heard the prince of Brunei entered the WPC event. as we all know, everyone must undergo a qualifying event sanctioned by the WPC Committee inorder to play in the annual WPC. now, as I've read in the players' profile, the prince only played and reached the semifinal in the Brunei Open. inspite defeating a ranked taiwanese player in that tournament, I don't believe that this was enough of an achievement to give him a free pass to play in the WPC. some say that he got massacred in his 2 WPC matches and one opponent commented that he's not a caliber player to be playing in that kind of arena. there are other deserving players who could had filled that slot or given the chance to play competitively for the cup. this is not a children's playground where you can play pool whenever, wherever or whoever you wish to. I hope the WPC should think about this seriously. this is for fairness on the other players who had to undergo the grueling qualifying matches and the others who didn't qualify for losing.

Jallan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hail Mary Shot said:
some say that he got massacred in his 2 WPC matches and one opponent commented that he's not a caliber player to be playing in that kind of arena.

I think the exact quote was more along the lines of they should have let him learn how to play before entering the tourny.

I agree completly. Work hard, get rewarded. No one should get a free pass. Unless, he wanted to pay an entry fee so big that the benifiting players wouldn't mind. Then he may be a little more welcome.:D

Hail Mary Shot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
predator said:
Ok, so on what level exactly this prince guy plays?

here is a clue, one of his opponents said "they should have waited for him til he learned how to play" I guess you know what his opponent meant by now. ;)

BPG24

Banned
I know that the Sulton of Brunei is in the top 5 richest men in the world...
and i would imagine his son gets ANYTHING he wants

Hail Mary Shot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
BPG24 said:
I know that the Sulton of Brunei is in the top 5 richest men in the world...
and i would imagine his son gets ANYTHING he wants

except maybe winning the World Pool Crown. that would already be an insult to pool.

Tokyo-dave

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've also wondered about his speed. I mean is he as terrible as they say, or is he like the majority of "us" (don't mean to offend anybody)? And by that I mean a couple of shortstops, A players and down? Does he have a hard time getting out with ball in hand with only 5 left? Or is he capable of 'slopping' a win from a top ranked player on a very very good day?
dave

Hail Mary Shot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Tokyo-dave said:
I've also wondered about his speed. I mean is he as terrible as they say, or is he like the majority of "us" (don't mean to offend anybody)? And by that I mean a couple of shortstops, A players and down? Does he have a hard time getting out with ball in hand with only 5 left? Or is he capable of 'slopping' a win from a top ranked player on a very very good day?
dave

when a seeded player gives you that kind of remark, there's no question on what he's talking about. if the man really got skills and has what it takes or deserves to be there, surely his opponent won't give that kind of remark. pros know for sure what is a fingerling from that of a great white.

Matt90

Trust the Process
Silver Member
looks like

Maybe he could be a sponsor for a tournament .Looks like
if we got a few more like that pool may get the respect it deserves.
When I went to military school the richest kids always through the
biggest parties and were the most backwards about being there :D

BlackDragon

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think if Bill Gates had a son, he should be encouraged to play pool.
I imagine being a prince, he doesn't get out of the palace much and with that association with wealth and class, it can only be good for pool culture per se.
Then technically, he's the best player from his country, an asian country in a tournament played in a neighbouring country so he deserved his place there.
In an ideal world, that ball wouldn't have been there said one wpc commentator.
This worlds ain't ideal. Money talks, phone calls made and no face lost.
Can't discriminate against the rich either. :cool:

SlickRick_PCS

Pool, Snooker, Carom
Silver Member
BlackDragon said:
I think if Bill Gates had a son, he should be encouraged to play pool.
I imagine being a prince, he doesn't get out of the palace much and with that association with wealth and class, it can only be good for pool culture per se.
Then technically, he's the best player from his country, an asian country in a tournament played in a neighbouring country so he deserved his place there.
In an ideal world, that ball wouldn't have been there said one wpc commentator.
This worlds ain't ideal. Money talks, phone calls made and no face lost.
Can't discriminate against the rich either. :cool:

Well in your case, why doesn't he start from the ground up just like all of us?

"Money Talks... blah blah blah.." That's a bunch of bull poopy! Money will only get you your accessories but it will never get you "Efren Reyes (Earl Strickland or whathaveyou) style" of play... NEVER. Let's dump that prince over around the bars here in the US playing area with 'em coin-op tables for a start, then go his way up to their level. We've all started somewhere and learned from so many elders of their kind.

My point is... there is a fine line where money takes place. But where this Prince of Brunei stands is just where only the best of the best stand and not what the biggest wealth is demand. Now like this poster above said, "I imagine being a prince, he doesn't get out of the palace much ...", I can definately understand and respect that, but what he's faced upon are natural-born trained professionals whom seen the slumps, lived up to their maturity and rise to the occaison when their time was upon. It is not possible to go from novice to pro in one or two full years. Highly impossible IMHO.

8ballEinstein

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm not sure how good this guy is, but if I ran into him at the poolroom and he wanted to play some cheap, say $500,000 a rack, I'd have to be a nit and turn him down. I could see him and his entourage barking at me all the way out the door.

14.1player

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
He is in the WPC because he is the No. 1 ranked player in Brunei. Having seen his performance last year, his speed is around C/C+.

Hail Mary Shot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
cuetechasaurus said:
I made a thread about this a few days ago. I took alot of heat for it from some people. What I wanna know is, where are those people now? Not saying a damn word. Typical. :rolleyes:

Here's my thread about this subject:

http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?p=886053#post886053

it seemed like the prince is more deserving to earn the slot rather than those qualifiers who beat each other's asses just to make the list. in any case, are there any hardcopies of accomplishments that this prince achieved in pool that gave him this right to play ? like let's say winning a single stop in the U.S. or winning a major event in his own country or any other neighboring countries. is he really their best player? those other qualifiers earn their share by winning on their own respective home soils and other soils as well. it would just be an injustice for those who didn't make the cut and to those who sweat it out in the qualifying round.

next time, let those have money play but can't play at all and let those who can play watch them from the sidelines. fair deal? entertaining isn't it? or is this a start where pool becomes a joke of a game?

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm wondering if this guy has people who carry his cue case for him, screw the cue together for him, chalk the tip for him, etc.

I'm available to give him lessons but I don't work cheap.

Hail Mary Shot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
alstl said:
I'm wondering if this guy has people who carry his cue case for him, screw the cue together for him, chalk the tip for him, etc.

I'm available to give him lessons but I don't work cheap.

LOL, he's already got an entourage ! too bad, better luck next time ! ;)

corvette1340

www.EpawnMarket.com
Silver Member
I once asked the Sultan of Brunei if he wanted to play a set or two. He said, "yes, I will play you a race to 7 for $1000 US dollars". After I accepted and we were pulling our cues out he pulled me to the side. He whispered," All of my countrymen will be watching us on the webcast so if you win you get $1000, but if you lose (as he gave a sinister wink) I will shower you with gold bullion worth millions in US dollars." I nodded back at the Prince and gave him a reassuring handshake.
The Prince broke and made a ball but scratched. As I took the cue ball I looked over at the Prince and then into the webcam and said " up yours with the spot, ok? ". Which was crazy, because we weren't playing with a spot but I thought it might confuse him. I calmy ran the first table and then put a six on him to blank him in the set 7-0. He walked up to me and handed me a few flourescent colored bills with what looked like a lion king on the front. He said "you have made a very bad decision and disgraced me in front of my country, I shouldn't pay you anything but my word is always good so here it is". I looked at him and said, " look dude, go to Public's and see if you can trade out this Monopoly bullshit for some Grants and Benjamins or I'm gonna have to wale on that princely ass". He went over to the ATM and withdrew enough to pay me and then left. That is how I became the Sultan of Athens, GA.

MasterEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
14.1player said:
He is in the WPC because he is the No. 1 ranked player in Brunei. Having seen his performance last year, his speed is around C/C+.

Quite true. He maybe a seeded player in his country.