Your thoughts on '3 fouling' your way to victory?

shooter_Hans

I was in a my usual tournament event and there was an argument between two players because one guy decides to '3 foul' the other guy for the win. Personally, I don't have a problem with this and it has been done to me before and I've done it others.

There is one trigger that will cause me to 3 foul you. One of them is the break-scratch. Right off the bat you have fouled. I'm going to win this game.

What are your thoughts about this?

FrankieD

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have been three fouled and have three fouled opponents. It sucks when it happens to you, but you have to respect the skill required to pull it off.

CanadianGuy

for sure, bars are in my rear view

the thing about three foul is you invariably have those scenarios where a random ball layout creates an easy three foul situation with little skill required

for local events I favour any and all rules under the "no conflict" banner

the less potential for drama the better

one of the best things around this game imo is that the rules and formats can be adjusted as required fairly easily

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I was in a my usual tournament event and there was an argument between two players because one guy decides to '3 foul' the other guy for the win. Personally, I don't have a problem with this and it has been done to me before and I've done it others.

There is one trigger that will cause me to 3 foul you. One of them is the break-scratch. Right off the bat you have fouled. I'm going to win this game.

What are your thoughts about this?
You have the right to try to 3 foul anyone any time, but a relatively good player who is thinking about nothing but 3 fouling their opponent because they scratch on the break, even with a nice ball spread, is nitty IMO. I also feel trying to 3 foul a considerably lower skill level player is also questionable, but that’s just me.

If there are tied up problem balls, then I can understand it. I would also consider it as acceptable payback if my opponent has been trying to 3 foul me and/or roll the 9-ball every chance they get.

Last edited:

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
You have the right to try to 3 foul anyone any time, but a relatively good player who is thinking about nothing but 3 fouling their opponent because they scratch on the break, even with a nice ball spread, is nitty IMO. I also feel trying to 3 foul a considerably lower skill level player is also questionable, but that’s just me.

If there are tied up problem balls, then I can understand it. I would also consider it as acceptable payback if my opponent has been trying to 3 foul me and/or roll the 9-ball every chance they get.
how about you are the weaker player and think you can play a safety better than running balls
try to 3 foul the better player starting with ball in hand for you?

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
how about you are the weaker player and think you can play a safety better than running balls
try to 3 foul the better player starting with ball in hand for you?
Yes, that makes sense. However, you have to accept that by attempting to do that, the stronger player is then more likely to try to do it right back at you, and they clearly have the better chance of pulling it off.

Reactions: bbb

Rocket354

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've 3-fouled opponents twice. Once during the league national championships in Vegas. My opponent seemed to respect the play. The other time was during actual league play at my local dive. The guy was visibly, but quietly, grumpy. His spectating wife was not so quiet, making condescending remarks about "playing like a man" and so forth.

No regrets. I've found life is much more tolerable when you can learn to take enjoyment in the anger of stupid people.

Oikawa

Yeah this one is easy to answer. Playing in bars where you get punched for not knowing the local rules is it's own discussion, but in any setting between two players who have any sort of respect towards each other or/and the game, 3-fouling is a part of the game and in no context should be seen as questionable.

mikemosconi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Really pisses me off when this happens to me. Kinda thrills me when I do it to others.
This is the key to answering the poster’s concerns. Yes being 3 fouled can be irritating. However in the pool room setting we often find some extremes of ability to cope with stress - just like in life itself outside the pool room.
You will come across all sorts of responses to defeat - people on the edge of the acceptable social behavior spectrum may react very poorly to adversity without warning. Alcohol usually magnifies their reactions as well.
Some of us get pissed off and accept our responsibility for why- others will be quick to blame someone else for their own agitated state.