Youtube: Earl Strickland vs Keith McCready 1988

Gregg

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vHQw9T5uvyk

Part one of seven. Simply click onto next "Related video" to continue onto the second video, then the third, etc.

I'm 34, and have NEVER seen Keith McCready play until that video. It's easy to see why people talk about unused talent.

I've also never seen Strickland shoot without the three ring circus act as he does in this video.

I can't get over the skill, the talent, the mastery of the game. Both clearly in their prime. Ball in hand off the break is like leaving me a nine ball hanger to them.

Check it out. I can't get over watching them light cigarettes with matches, and tossing the rack onto the floor after each rack.

Last edited:

md5key

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I can't believe Keith gave up on that second game before Earl even shot.

Nevermind I just realized the easy 2-9.

Last edited:

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I always enjoy seeing these YouTube video links. There is very limited video of Keith McCready playing pool during that era. :frown:

One thing I noticed about then versus today is the way they rack the balls. Today, racking the balls takes a lot longer, sometimes turning into huddles with referees and others to get the rack right. :embarrassed2:

I see a lot of Grady Seasons in Keith McCready on those YouTube clips. :p

Unfortunately for Keith, the nightmare of Earl did get worse and worse. ;)

JAM

Gregg

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
md5key said:
I can't believe Keith gave up on that second game before Earl even shot.

Nevermind I just realized the easy 2-9.

HA! Gotcha! Some astute (word of the day) poster on Youtube noted the same.

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Gregg said:
HA! Gotcha! Some astute (word of the day) poster on Youtube noted the same.

Back then, that seemed to be considered pool etiquette. Today, in most events, you would lose conceding a game or a shot.

JAM

Roadkill

Retired Pool Hustler
Silver Member
Great runout be Keith here in Part 5.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2VwDJr-3TDc

I've never seen Keith play better. His control of the cueball and banking during this match are simply amazing. Never mind getter on the right side of the object ball, he muscles the cueball into position when he gets out of line. A few of his position plays are truly unbelievable.

Last edited:

Ken_4fun

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I cant believe

JAM said:
Back then, that seemed to be considered pool etiquette. Today, in most events, you would lose conceding a game or a shot.

JAM

Maybe this was the time before cam corders and such, but its hard for me to believe there isnt more video out there....

ken

cycopath

Call me Banger.
Silver Member
JAM said:
One thing I noticed about then versus today is the way they rack the balls. Today, racking the balls takes a lot longer, sometimes turning into huddles with referees and others to get the rack right.

It makes me wonder who started the whole 'inspect, adjust, inspect, adjust...' method of racking?

Anyone know?

worriedbeef

The Voice of Reason
Silver Member
cycopath said:
It makes me wonder who started the whole 'inspect, adjust, inspect, adjust...' method of racking?

Anyone know?

just natural evolution of the game over time. people started to question why exactly they were hitting the rack at 100mph and yet all the balls remained in the rack area!

people started to understand the importance of a good rack more, and all of this sort of reached a plateau with joe tucker's books and dvd when the science of the rack was explained to us all.

StevenPWaldon

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Great cueball toss by some unknown at 1:27. Love the casual attitude at the tournament.

Roadkill said:
Great runout be Keith here in Part 5.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2VwDJr-3TDc

I've never seen Keith play better. His control of the cueball and banking during this match are simply amazing. Never mind getter on the right side of the object ball, he muscles the cueball into position when he gets out of line. A few of his position plays are truly unbelievable.