Purple Cocobolo

SSDiver2112

2b || !2b t^ ?
This is my first experience with Cocobolo. I have had a piece for a while and now I have a project for it. It looked like this. (Sorry this is the only before picture I could find).

IMG_8622.jpeg

After turning it down to round it looks completely different. Will it stay this way or will go back to brown at some point?

IMG_8668.jpeg

Scott

j2pac

Marital Slow Learner.
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
This is my first experience with Cocobolo. I have had a piece for a while and now I have a project for it. It looked like this. (Sorry this is the only before picture I could find).

View attachment 758818

After turning it down to round it looks completely different. Will it stay this way or will go back to brown at some point?

View attachment 758819

Scott
As Sheldon said, it will darken again over time. Though I am not a Cue-maker, I would offer this PSA...Make sure that when you are working with certain exotic wood species, that you are limiting your exposure via skin contact, and dust inhalation. Exposure to some of these exotic wood species, can cause some fairly serious adverse reactions.
Best of luck on your cue project.
j2
😎

SSDiver2112

2b || !2b t^ ?
It will darken back up over time.
That’s what I figured. I didn’t see much on line to really define this. I was surprised by the drastic color difference inside. Wish it could stay that way, but it will still be nice once it browns up.

SSDiver2112

2b || !2b t^ ?
As Sheldon said, it will darken again over time. Though I am not a Cue-maker, I would offer this PSA...Make sure that when you are working with certain exotic wood species, that you are limiting your exposure via skin contact, and dust inhalation. Exposure to some of these exotic wood species, can cause some fairly serious adverse reactions.
j2
😎
Thanks. I did read about Cocobolo being a difficult child in many ways. I have a hepa filter in the room and the exhaust next to the lathe pumps the fine particles straight outside. Plus I wear a filter mask as well.

Coos Cues

Coos Cues
It will darken back up over time.
Yes like a week at longest. I have had people swear to me they can preserve this look with finishing techniques and the proper never named finish (secret stuff). Yet oddly no one can ever seem to
produce a finished coco cue with purple streaks in the wood.

Had a huge argument right here on AZ years ago about this and the claimers never produced a photo and are holding a grudge to this day.

Weird stuff.
Thanks. I did read about Cocobolo being a difficult child in many ways. I have a hepa filter in the room and the exhaust next to the lathe pumps the fine particles straight outside. Plus I wear a filter mask as well.

I thought it smelled lovely for years until one day my eye's swelled shut. Protect all of your skin from the dust. There is no going back once your body sensitizes to it. Not just coco either, all the dalbergias and to a lesser extent other exotics.

tsp&b

Silver Member
Danger! Danger! Will Robinson!! Coco can be extremely hazardous! Wear full cover face mask air filter!!

SSDiver2112

2b || !2b t^ ?
Update for any interested.

The Coco is browning up over the week. I am experimenting with some ideas for the wood. The chalk holders are made from the larger piece and the joint protectors are from that piece in the background.

Too bad we can’t freeze the color where we want, but it is still turning into a beautiful piece of wood.

IMG_8725.jpeg

R2PQZ

Cocobolo is very oily. Apply acetone to paper towels and rotate on your lathe. The acetone will draw out the oils. This will help a finish stick to the cue. The cue will not darken as much without the oils present.

SSDiver2112

2b || !2b t^ ?
Cocobolo is very oily. Apply acetone to paper towels and rotate on your lathe. The acetone will draw out the oils. This will help a finish stick to the cue. The cue will not darken as much without the oils present.
For small items I have been using CA as a finish. I decided to try something new this time. Pictured above I already started putting Tru-Oil on it. In the background you can also see another chalk holder made out of Black Limba. There is a noticeable difference in how the finish cures, but I think I have it working. I did some tests on some scraps first and it is definitely a tricky wood. With its natural oils you can buff the wood to a nice shine on its own, but using the Tru-Oil it looks even better.

The joint protectors with the veneers are going to be tricky. I had a hard enough time keeping the Coco and Ebony dust from staining the natural veneers. I don't want the acetone bleeding into the veneer. Have not made a veneered cue yet so I don't know how cue-makers sand the cue and still keep the veneers clean.

ribdoner

SATISFACTION GUARANTEED
Silver Member
j2
😎

YUP, like DEATH!!

tg_vegas

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member

I did this on my latest Coco cue but used IPA instead of Acetone. I'm not sure if it helped hold the color, but mine has held for quite a while now.