PRO ONE DVD: Answering Questions

peteypooldude

I see Edges
Silver Member
Does this mean that every shot can have be played with a right pivot, or that you will learn to identify the correct pivot for each shot from experience? Forgive me if I am asking dumb questions, I just want to make sure that I fully gather all the info correctly, as it all lend itself to an understanding of the system.[/QUOT

I pivot left to right on every ball and every shot. Half ball offset
The arc of your pivot changes as the shot circle gets larger or smaller.
Not trying to speak for Dave

LAMas

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
LAMas,

Great diagrams, by the way! I'm curious to see how introducing perspective would alter the visual alignment points. A ballpark visual I've noticed is at about four diamonds the object ball is reduced to approximately half the size of the cue ball. About a 2:1 ratio.

I think the variance in the setup /alignment of the shooter is even smaller than what you've shown. This enables the player to make even tighter adjustments resulting in a more precise targeting of the contact point as the distance increases between the balls.

Best,
Mike

Mike,
Your assumption of "about four diamonds the object ball is reduced to approximately half the size of the cue ball. About a 2:1 ratio." is correct though I don't know if your on a 6 foot or 10 foot table?:)

What is constant is that the OB is proportional to the CB at distance - the CB diameter changes when the eye/s are close or far away from the CB,k but the proportions or percentages of the CB is constant...I believe.:thumbup:

The diagram on the right is an overhead view.

The diagram in the center is a 5X blow up of the relative size of the OB at one foot increments and in color.

The 10X diagram on the left is the percent of the size of the CB regardless of it's appearant size depending on where your eye/s are.

The resolution is bad and what look like feet ' are actually inches ". I didn't want to flood the screen size.
Vanishing OBs.jpg

Last edited:

SpiderWebComm

HelpImBeingOppressed
Silver Member
Mike,
Your assumption of "about four diamonds the object ball is reduced to approximately half the size of the cue ball. About a 2:1 ratio." is correct though I don't know if your on a 6 foot or 10 foot table?:)

What is constant is that the OB is proportional to the CB at distance - the CB diameter changes when the eye/s are close or far away from the CB,k but the proportions or percentages of the CB is constant...I believe.:thumbup:

The diagram on the right is an overhead view.

The diagram in the center is a 5X blow up of the relative size of the OB at one foot increments and in color.

The 10X diagram on the left is the percent of the size of the CB regardless of it's appearant size depending on where your eye/s are.

View attachment 171998

This is the best post of the thread.

Llamas-- can I steal this image for a document I'm working on if I list you as the source?

Dave

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
I have a question. When sighting CB edge to OBB, you obviously place the cue in a line parallel to these 2 lines, as they are the same angle. However, when shooting CB edge to OB A or C, the two lines are not the same angle, so which does the cue align with? Is it a line that bisects the two, the CB center to OBE line, or the CB edge to OB A/C, or am I simply missing something? ANy help would be appreciated!
Forget your question - that's the best answer because there is no answer. In 2D (wei table), I guess the answer would be a constant. However, in real world--- your perception of the OB size will change your eyes' offset from the CTEL on an A, B or C alignment.... which changes the line your cue falls on. From the perfect visual, your cue is perpendicular to the visual face of the CB, 1/2-tip offset from center.
from Spidey: your cue is perpendicular to the visual face of the CB, 1/2-tip offset from center

This can be true only if your line of sight (vision center) is along the cue, right? Or do you mean the cue is "perceived" to be perpendicular to the face of the CB from your non-cue-aligned line of sight? Obviously, the perception of the angle of the cue depends on where your line of sight is (see the drill described in the 3rd paragraph of my vision center resource page for more info).

During the aiming process, the line of sight seems to change from the CTE line to the alignment line (for example left edge of CB to point "A"). Stan seems to imply you can see both at the same time, but he also mentions a shift, so it isn't clear exactly where your vision-center focus should be during all steps of the process. It certainly isn't clear where your sight line should be during and after placing the cue 1/2-tip off center. Also, does it change during or after the pivot, because this could affect your perception of "center ball" (especially if the the tip isn't very close to the CB)?

I hope you can clear this up some more, because I think this topic is key to understanding how to use CTE consistently and successfully. People need to know what line to focus on. If your eyes aren't in the right place, you will perceive things differently.

I look forward to your clarifications and explanations.

Thanks,
Dave

mantis99

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
As a right hander, you can always make a "left pivot" (tip offset to the left). As a left hander, you can always make a "right pivot" (tip offset to the right).

I perform a left pivot on every single shot I shoot. So, for me, every shot is chocolate, vanilla or strawberry.

It's fascinating how such a finite selection of ice cream can make all 31 flavors required for savory pool.

So if I was shooting a shot that lined up CBE to OBB with a right pivot, what type of adjustment is needed to shoot the shot with a left pivot?

SpiderWebComm

HelpImBeingOppressed
Silver Member
So if I was shooting a shot that lined up CBE to OBB with a right pivot, what type of adjustment is needed to shoot the shot with a left pivot?

Start with a right pivot and pivot beyond center to the left pivot starting position. That's your new starting position. :)

mantis99

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
from Spidey: your cue is perpendicular to the visual face of the CB, 1/2-tip offset from center

During the aiming process, the line of sight seems to change from the CTE line to the alignment line (for example left edge of CB to point "A"). Stan seems to imply you can see both at the same time,QUOTE]

I think this is important also, which is of course why I asked the question. My understanding of spidey's answer, if I am correct, is that when you stand in a position where you can perceive both of the contact points at the same time, the perpendicular face of the CB is the plane that would exist when you look straight ahead at the center of the CB from that position. Please correct me if I am misinterpreting this. Thanks for the efforts to help peiople understand this.

SpiderWebComm

HelpImBeingOppressed
Silver Member

This can be true only if your line of sight (vision center) is along the cue, right? Or do you mean the cue is "perceived" to be perpendicular to the face of the CB from your non-cue-aligned line of sight? Obviously, the perception of the angle of the cue depends on where your line of sight is (see the drill described in the 3rd paragraph of my vision center resource page for more info).

During the aiming process, the line of sight seems to change from the CTE line to the alignment line (for example left edge of CB to point "A"). Stan seems to imply you can see both at the same time, but he also mentions a shift, so it isn't clear exactly where your vision-center focus should be during all steps of the process. It certainly isn't clear where your sight line should be during and after placing the cue 1/2-tip off center. Also, does it change during or after the pivot, because this could affect your perception of "center ball" (especially if the the tip isn't very close to the CB)?

I hope you can clear this up some more, because I think this topic is key to understanding how to use CTE consistently and successfully. People need to know what line to focus on. If your eyes aren't in the right place, you will perceive things differently.

Thanks,
Dave

Just between us ladies, it would have been nice if you would have given a fellow pool instructor a little time to get an ROI on his large investment before posting his entire Pro1 content on your website. Although I can give a great answer to your question, it would only end up on your site--- further preventing Stan from recouping his investment.

If you have any other pool questions that wouldn't affect your fellow colleague, I'd be more than happy to answer.

Stan put a lot of time and money into that video - it's not right it's sitting on your site after only 4 weeks of being on the market. Although it's not illegal, it's definitely poor taste.

champ2107

Banned

Thanks,
Dave

ok, i getting the chips out :thumbup: i think i was told no line by everyone, but everything combined together puts u in position to make the ball?

mantis99

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just between us ladies, it would have been nice if you would have given a fellow pool instructor a little time to get an ROI on his large investment before posting his entire Pro1 content on your website. Although I can give a great answer to your question, it would only end up on your site--- further preventing Stan from recouping his investment.

If you have any other pool questions that wouldn't affect your fellow colleague, I'd be more than happy to answer.

Stan put a lot of time and money into that video - it's not right it's sitting on your site after only 4 weeks of being on the market. Although it's not illegal, it's definitely poor taste.

I have to agree with this post. While I respect Dr. Dave's attempts to create a strong knowledge base that people can access about pool. I do not think it is ok at this point to have put the info on a free web page. I think that info should be removed for the time being. I am really surprised by the fact that it is there already.

pablocruz

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

In my opinion it should damn well be illegal!!

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member

Spidey,

I'm sorry you feel this way.

First of all, IMO, Stan's DVD does not address any of the questions in my post above. If it did, I would not need to ask them.

Also, I think my original post adds a lot of value to Stan's DVD. I summarize things in a way Stan does not. That is useful. IMO, this doesn't diminish the value of all of the many examples provided on the DVD.

I hope you or others will consider attempting to answer some of the unanswered questions that Stan's DVD does not address.

Regards,
Dave

SpiderWebComm

HelpImBeingOppressed
Silver Member
What it does is convince future instructors to not make quality DVDs in fear someone would just post the info and they'd love their investment.

What Dr. Dave's actions do is guarantee future DVDs will be home-made in from their home table because they couldn't protect their content. Why spend 5-figures to make a video if some guy's gonna play the role info-Robin-Hood and post it on their site full of "copied content?"

The ANSWER is "No one would ever in their right mind invest the money to make a nice video if Dr. Dave is gonna post the content within 30 days of releasing the video."

Look, I'm confident Dr. Dave will do the right thing. I'll leave it at that.

SpiderWebComm

HelpImBeingOppressed
Silver Member
Spidey,

First of all, IMO, Stan's DVD does not address any of the questions in my post above. If it did, I would not need to ask them.

Also, I think my original post adds a lot of value to Stan's DVD. I summarize things in a way Stan does not. That is useful. IMO, this doesn't diminish the value of all of the many examples provided on the DVD.

I hope you or others will consider attempting to answer some of the unanswered questions that Stan's DVD does not address.

Regards,
Dave

Like hell it does. Stop talking like a bloody retard. Nobody posts your DVDs/books on their website so why would you post the info on yours??

You want us to believe you're "HELPING" Stan? STFU

LAMas

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This is the best post of the thread.

Llamas-- can I steal this image for a document I'm working on if I list you as the source?

Dave

Dave,
Thanks and yes you can.
There is a better version with higher resolution in the "Test Area" called Vanishing 1.:thumbup:

JoeyA

Efren's Mini-Tourn BACKER
Silver Member
Spidey,

Regards,
Dave

Dave,
Just a couple of quick questions Dave?

Do you agree that Stan provided NEW and UNIQUE INFORMATION about CTE/Pro One that was not available from any other place or person?

Did you extend any professional courtesy to Stan concerning the posting of HIS INFORMATION on YOUR WEBSITE?

You may not know what I mean by that so I'll say it another way. Did you ask Stan if it was OK to post information about his CTE/Pro One product ON YOUR WEBSITE?

JoeyA

Efren's Mini-Tourn BACKER
Silver Member
Please help me understand. Example: For a right cut, if I am on the center to edge line (CTEL), then the right edge of the cue ball will line up at B or C. Otherwise, I am not on the true CTEL.

I understand the A,B or C points to be alignment aids for the CTEL. Or do I aim CTEL first and then adjust aim for CB edge to A,B or C (depending on the cut angle)?

The CTEL stands on it's own. I hold the CTEL in my visual perspective by looking at the top of the Center of the Cue Ball and hold that CTEL all of the time, even as I aim the correct edge of the cue ball with the proper A, B or C reference point. It is a simultaneous process. I NEVER lose sight of the CTEL throughout the aiming process and I don't let it slip off of my visual perspective, ever.

Also, just for the record, I do this standing up and as I lower myself into the shot I STILL hold onto these two perspectives simultaneously.

Hope that helps.

JoeyA

champ2107

Banned
The CTEL stands on it's own. I hold the CTEL in my visual perspective by looking at the top of the Center of the Cue Ball and hold that CTEL all of the time, even as I aim the correct edge of the cue ball with the proper A, B or C reference point. It is a simultaneous process. I NEVER lose sight of the CTEL throughout the aiming process and I don't let it slip off of my visual perspective, ever.

Also, just for the record, I do this standing up and as I lower myself into the shot I STILL hold onto these two perspectives simultaneously.

Hope that helps.

JoeyA

i give you a posted rep JoeyA for this, this what i do also :thumbup: since i have to spread it around! not sure how that works :confused:

Last edited:

Jal

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Like hell it does. Stop talking like a bloody retard. Nobody posts your DVDs/books on their website so why would you post the info on yours??

You want us to believe you're "HELPING" Stan? STFU
"Bloody retard?" "STFU?"

Whatever your grievances, Dave, for someone who's put forth as much muddle-headed mush as you have for so long, stuff that doesn't even qualify as geometry babble, to use phrases like "bloody retard" in any context, much less toward him, is, as they say, beyond the pale, and in spades!

My god, I hope you at least had some serious qualms about writing that.......but I fear not.

Jim